Founding Member
Senior years:

Driskel: 138-235, 1,783 - 16 TDs / 3 INTs
Franks: 136-231, 2,766 - 35 TDs / 2 INTs

Career

Driskel: 3,768 yds, 31 TDs / 13 INTs
Franks: 7,380, 87 TDs / 16 INTs

They're different.

Yep but you watch the tape of Franks and he isnt throwing into tight coverage at all hardly at his high school. I finally watched Trask's tape a while back and he is needling the thread some unlike Franks in his high school tape.Nothing against Franks personally but the Driskel history makes me wonder. I just hope the coaches put the one out there that played the best to earn the job.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
The same guys who couldn't decide between Treon and Grier and the same ones that trotted LDR out over Appleby.

Trust the coaches? Why?

Because not trusting them does nothing positive and trusting them does at least a little positive. So if you don't trust them what actions do you take. Whine on this board?

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Because not trusting them does nothing positive and trusting them does at least a little positive. So if you don't trust them what actions do you take. Whine on this board?

Whine? It's ok to question them. It's ok to have blind faith too. I just thought you might have some legit reasons.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Trust is earned. Has Mac or Nuss done anything since coming to Gainesville regarding the offense or QBs to earn the trust? Not a damn thing IMO. Sticking with totally ineffective QBs come hell or high water. Ridiculous rotation of RBs. Poor playing calling after effective opening series scripted plays. One of the worst red zone scoring offenses we've ever had.
Why should I trust them again?

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I don't pretend to watch any tape on our choices, so I'll just say whoever has the best gun with some touch is who I'm willing to take a few hard licks and lessons learned with next season. We have just gotta get our QB long rotation in some kind of order. Between the selfishness breakouts and the tweeting, LDR has strained my support for being the leader of the dream. Plus, this sideline to sideline, short hopping and hanging out to dry throwing has to finally stop... to save my dwindling sanity. Go Gators!

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Yep but you watch the tape of Franks and he isnt throwing into tight coverage at all hardly at his high school. I finally watched Trask's tape a while back and he is needling the thread some unlike Franks in his high school tape.Nothing against Franks personally but the Driskel history makes me wonder. I just hope the coaches put the one out there that played the best to earn the job.
Dude, half of Trask 's highlights are in practice against what appears to be the jv sqaud. That's not an exaggeration dude. Not rooting against the kid but I think you're jumping the gun here.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's been nearly 20 damn years since our QBs and other offensive playmakers didn't peak in their first year.

I think Grossman was the last that actually improved, although he regressed under Zooker. Leak, Tebow, Brantley, Driskel, Brissett, Treon, every one of those guys showed promise and some efectiveness when they arrived.

And yet, they all got worse the more our staff "coached them up", altered throwing motions, and made them too scared of turnovers to have any semblance of effectiveness.

Last edited:

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
I don't pretend to watch any tape on our choices, so I'll just say whoever has the best gun with some touch is who I'm willing to take a few hard licks and lessons learned with next season. We have just gotta get our QB long rotation in some kind of order. Between the selfishness breakouts and the tweeting, LDR has strained my support for being the leader of the dream. Plus, this sideline to sideline, short hopping and hanging out to dry throwing has to finally stop... to save my dwindling sanity. Go Gators!
This.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Dude, half of Trask 's highlights are in practice against what appears to be the jv sqaud. That's not an exaggeration dude. Not rooting against the kid but I think you're jumping the gun here.

You are not giving an accurate portrayal imo. Trask is on his tape in backup duty in actual games making completions into tight coverage with nice accurate throws. There is a chance his coach may be right and he only was the backup because they were scoring a bunch with the guy who ran a lot. His tape really surpised me with those throws.

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Toney is gonna come in and wow the coaches on Day 1 and have a great spring. He will force them to start him with his play and intangibles. The kid is a gamer.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
http://img1.izismile.com/img/img8/20150612/1000/i_love_bananas_fRHG2_02.gif
Strengths of the Group:
The arm strength in the group is extremely good. Both Trask and Franks can really push it downfield. Both have very good zip on the ball. Even Toney has a relatively good arm with a quick wrist flick of a release on his deep ball. This unit shouldn't have any trouble reaching any area of the field, and hitting windows shouldn't be nearly as big an issue as it was with Del Rio.

Weaknesses of the Group:
Consistency is lacking for both of the younger players right now. Franks has been erratic with his accuracy in most work we've seen him take part in, often firing high over his targets and struggling most with out routes and anything breaking away from him. Trask, on the other hand, is more consistently accurate but doesn't seem to have quite the same grasp on the playbook or command of the offense as Franks.

What Needs To Happen:
Someone needs to lead. Plain and simple. Whichever freshman quarterback wins out is going to make mistakes, so really at this point it's about finding the guy that can shake off mistakes and still earn the trust of the offense. That's where Franks seemed to separate himself from Trask last fall to earn the backup job when Del Rio was out.
Trask has all the tools but his confidence must improve a bit going forward if he hopes to win the job. We'd like to see both make fewer mistakes this spring, with less balls thrown into obvious coverage and less panicky decisions than we saw last spring.

Spring Projection:
Franks had the benefit of actually receiving many valuable reps in practice last year as the backup. Trask didn't, so he's likely a bit behind in his development. On the flip side of that, it means Trask could really emerge this spring if he starts to take advantage.
Still, the job seems like Franks' to lose, at least during the spring. He's got the confidence of his teammates and coaches and is the guy they're talking about the most heading in. It'd be a bit surprising if he didn't leave the spring with the lead.

So both QBs have the arm strength that has been lacking for the last two years. That gives me great optimism right there.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Thats different the comment above about the playbook because Trask picking things up quickly is what Nuss usually says about him. I just assumed it was code for the part of the game Franks is struggling with.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

In his 4 years of varsity H.S. football Trask threw 161 passes. Taking 31 pass attempts as reasonable for a game, then Trask quaterbacked the equivalence of 5 games. So let's imagine Trask was a starting QB who got a season ending injury in practice after that 5th game.

Here is what he contributed in those 5 games =
1) pass attempts = 161..... 2) completions = 118.....3) 73.3% comp rate .... 4) QB rating 145.5 .... 5) 1,820 yds
6) 364 PYPG ..... 7) 15.4 YPC ..... 8) 17 TDs (in 5 games = 3.4 TDs/G ..... 9) Zero INTs in 5 games, 161 throws.

Our "combo-QBs" LDR + AA in 14 games got 58.8% comp-rate, 18TDs, 15INTs, QB-rating 123.4 something like that.

And it's some kind of bull to say he played against second stringers. Trask went in once their "wonderboy-QB" with his first stringers put the game out of reach, i.e. Trask went in so as no to run the score up. It was Trask doing his stats with the 2nd string WRs, 2nd string OL etc. While the defense against him was 1st string trying to lessen the point gap. That meant they were fervently going for an intercept, for any turnover.
Don't need no fake news about one of our Gators.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
We have people trying to twist Trask into something he's not, yet. If he wins the job he wins the job but trying to extrapolate his high school stats and compare them to SEC play is a joke. You can't compare ANYTHING to SEC ball. Stop trying to do it. Edit: It is stupid to do so.

Last edited:

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
This is a great question since QB is the absolute key to moving the offense somewhere into at least mediocrity.

What I want:
Franks to emerge in the spring showing he has spent the last 15 months responding to coaching with respect to his preparation & accuracy. He is reportedly a high character kid so this is quite possible. If not, Trask shows that he truly has the head and arm strength and likewise has prepared himself well.

What I think will happen:
Despite coaches' intense desire to mitigate risk, LDR settles into his proper role as a modern day Brian Schottenheimer.

If I'm wrong on both counts, this feels like Johnson-Brindise. Obvious talent that can't separate from a walk-on for whatever reasons.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
We have people trying to twist Trask into something he's not, yet. If he wins the job he wins the job but trying to extrapolate his high school stats and compare them to SEC play is a joke. You can't compare ANYTHING to SEC ball. Stop trying to do it. Edit: It is stupid to do so.

I agree you can't do that but he shows he can make some nice throws on tape when his receiver has decent coverage on him. You don't see a lot of high school QBs dropping it in there like that. I am hoping Franks is getting things down but his tape is mostly a showcase of his physical abilities and hitting guys who are usually pretty much open like you see with many high school tapes.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
In his 4 years of varsity H.S. football ....Trask quaterbacked the equivalence of 5 games.
Exactly. That isnt a good thing.

And it's some kind of bull to say he played against second stringers.
Some of those kids are wearing the exact same helmet. Its him against his HS scout squad.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
You are not giving an accurate portrayal imo. Trask is on his tape in backup duty in actual games making completions into tight coverage with nice accurate throws. There is a chance his coach may be right and he only was the backup because they were scoring a bunch with the guy who ran a lot. His tape really surpised me with those throws.
Hows that not an actual portrayal? They had to use practice tape to fill out a highlight tape for him. That is accurate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.