WTH? Who starts in the fall?

Who starts in the fall

• Total voters

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I'm basing it partly on the spring game. Trask certainly showed a capacity to make better decisions in that brief audition.

However, I live in Gainesville and my job frequently brings me into contact with UAA personnel and athletes. I have had the opportunity to briefly interact with both players. Trask appears to be much sharper than Franks.

The article above says Trask struggles with the playbook. Seems opposite of what you are saying. What are you seeing at practice?

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Question...did you think LDR was better than Appleby? I didn't but our SEC East winning coaches did. I have a hard time believing our coaches will give a kid his first snap in that game. I just don't see it knowing what I know about those two guys.

Given the competition each faced last fall( with Del Rio facing quiet an easier slate than Appleby and with mostly home games compared to Appleby playing mostly on the road and neutral sites). Appleby was far superior than Del Rio in my opinion and Appleby was still just mostly average. I still don't understand how Appleby wasn't starting by game one. This is what scares me about this coaching staff, is that if Del Rio was healthy enough to play they would keep putting him out there even though Appleby clearly looked better most of the times. Del Rio should only be an emergency option this fall and should be no higher than 3rd string. If he knows the offense so well then he can try to mentor Franks and Trask. The Del Rio experiment failed, time for the coaches to move on.

Last edited:

EyeDocGator

Politically Incorrect
Lifetime Member
Oct 26, 2015
I still don't understand how Appleby wasn't starting by game one.

The coaches viewed LDR as the future. They hoped he would develop as the year progressed. Obviously that didn't happen. I'm hoping they have the same future mindset and play both RS QBs to see who sinks and who swims.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I voted for Frask. Like others, I hope one or both of them really steps up. I am really looking forward to the spring game just to see them play. I would really liked to have seen one of them last year, but my appetite is certainly whetted now.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The coaches viewed LDR as the future. They hoped he would develop as the year progressed. Obviously that didn't happen. I'm hoping they have the same future mindset and play both RS QBs to see who sinks and who swims.
I hope this is true too, but wouldn't count on it.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I'm asking out of Ignorance, the little village of which I'm Mayor. Could LDR come back with a quicker, stronger arm? If so then will his lifelong, since childhood, immersion in observations of QB-thinking, QB-reacting & QB-scanning for secondary WRs: will that place him ahead of the "also rans"? Will his Shand's arm be Andrew Luck-like? IDK? Anybody recall such betterment post surgical correction for I'm sure the OR fuss went like this: "Oh God no! That's where it was attached before; try it over here."

I'm hoping that Frank's has developed all the neural connections to instinctively sense any risky spots to force the ball. Hoping he's visually quick enough to be sight-triggered when our color jersey starts those separation steps. Yes, he'll have "nerves-mistakes" at first, but a few hits and he'll be on his way, our way. Spurrier could hands-on coach him on the field (disguised in Rod Stewart hair). Anyway, if Franks absorbs & applies the footwork & thinking that Spurrier's Bell or Mathews did = he'd be hot. Franks, I believe (& excited about it shocking opponents) well Feleipe has that 6'6" overview + shiftiness + a canon arm. Franks' breakaway speed on surprise scrambles has to be scary. His physicals are for Olivia Newton-John to die for. If Franks puts all that together, 2017's team will be a nightmare for the other SEC teams and a dream come true for us. :woohoo:

Now for Trask, I want announcers to say "You know, If Franks wasn't such a Dak Prescott clone, Trask would also be ripping up SEC defenses. That kid could start for at least 60% of the other SEC teams ... and to think he was mercilessly ridiculed by some azz called "Swamp Donkey" = the Barney Fife of bullet predictions. :lmao2:

Allen should redshirt. Toney may be so versatile at QB he has a chance for some plays esp. wildcat 'cept the D knows what's coming. If Toney has speed in the slot or in motion that makes defensive BFs lock-think OMG; then turn him loose there. Why, he can even "clear" an area for a teammate target.

Now, just to "think-write" on all that has my spirits elevated through our off season. This mind-set has me expectant for killer game performances for a new-QB & from RBs Scarlett, Perrine(freshman no more), tackle-breaking Thompson, + new the freshman too - like Kedarious Toney to break open lots, Malik Davis to glide by like "Hatrick" Faison, etc. Then wow, we have WR interference-magnets Drew Massey, Callaway, Cleveland, Josh Hammond, F.Swain, B.Powell (tall Franks can see him), Daquan Green, and James Robinson.

I believe (Gator-faith) that Franks can exude "the flow" of his "up-there" athletism & realize confidence from practices showing all the WR options that will consistently be open in the rehearsals.

Heck, hold illegal hidden practices ... employ the same illegals Sabin did through his cartel connections to build that lighted, air-conditioned "practice-tunnel". :mad:

Now for the catastrophic news on who's for sure starting now:> Trex, Swonky, Omarred, Kev, etc.

Last edited:

88drgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
I'm basing it partly on the spring game. Trask certainly showed a capacity to make better decisions in that brief audition.

However, I live in Gainesville and my job frequently brings me into contact with UAA personnel and athletes. I have had the opportunity to briefly interact with both players. Trask appears to be much sharper than Franks.
Because you work for them? Just wondering:scratchchin:

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
Because you work for them? Just wondering:scratchchin:

As I have frequently stated, no I don't work for the UAA or the University of Florida in any way, form or fashion.

It's simply something TRex and Swamp Donkey like to claim because they feel that it in some way delegitimizes my views.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
The article above says Trask struggles with the playbook. Seems opposite of what you are saying. What are you seeing at practice?

There is a big difference in having the ability or desire to memorize a playbook while you are redshirting with no possibility of playing and having the ability to think quickly and make good decisions under duress.

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
There is a big difference in having the ability or desire to memorize a playbook while you are redshirting with no possibility of playing and having the ability to think quickly and make good decisions under duress.
Extremely difficult to think quickly and make good decisions under duress if you don't know the playbook. It's also hard to make good decisions under duress if you've never been under duress. I'm 1000% rooting for Trask but to act like there's any evidence to suggest he's a better decision maker than anyone else is literally insane.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I voted for LDR because there's no way, if he's able to stand without assistance, he won't be our starter in Dallas. No way.

I expect the QB who does the best in the spring to start. Now if he is healthy LDR has several advantages over all the others. If someone can do better I expect our coaches will select them.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Extremely difficult to think quickly and make good decisions under duress if you don't know the playbook. It's also hard to make good decisions under duress if you've never been under duress. I'm 1000% rooting for Trask but to act like there's any evidence to suggest he's a better decision maker than anyone else is literally insane.

Insane? -Franks has been Driskel 2.0 in the limited time he has played since leaving his high school. He literally is throwing a pick every 3rd pass. I hope he breaks that but it is what it is so far.

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Insane? -Franks has been Driskel 2.0 in the limited time he has played since leaving his high school. He literally is throwing a pick every 3rd pass. I hope he breaks that but it is what it is so far.
Like Trask, I haven't thrown any picks lately either. Does that mean I'm a better decision maker too?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Like Trask, I haven't thrown any picks lately either. Does that mean I'm a better decision maker too?

Has Trask thrown a bunch of picks since leaving high school? - I am not aware of it if he has but I saw Franks throwing them like crazy with my own eyes. I hope he gets over it but its out there.

Maybe I have Driskel on my mind too much.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I expect the QB who does the best in the spring to start. Now if he is healthy LDR has several advantages over all the others. If someone can do better I expect our coaches will select them.

The same guys who couldn't decide between Treon and Grier and the same ones that trotted LDR out over Appleby.

Trust the coaches? Why?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
That's exactly my point. No one has seen him do anything at all so to blindly proclaim him the best of anything is nothing but wishful thinking.

I think its more being worried about Franks - he left his high school and then proceeded to throw picks like crazy in that all star game and in the Spring game for us. And then a person gets in to watch a little practice for our bowl game and all he could report on Franks was he threw an interception in the pass he saw him make.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think its more being worried about Franks - he left his high school and then proceeded to throw picks like crazy in that all star game and in the Spring game for us. And then a person gets in to watch a little practice for our bowl game and all he could report on Franks was he threw an interception in the pass he saw him make.

Senior years:

Driskel: 138-235, 1,783 - 16 TDs / 3 INTs
Franks: 136-231, 2,766 - 35 TDs / 2 INTs

Career

Driskel: 3,768 yds, 31 TDs / 13 INTs
Franks: 7,380, 87 TDs / 16 INTs

They're different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online