2014 World Cup Thread

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don't know much about soccer but I did watch the match. IMO, we looked very substandard compared to the Belgians. Some of our guys looked like they'd be more suited to golf than a physical sport like soccer. If not for some spectacular saves by our goalie, who was very athletic, we lose that game 3 or 4 to nil.

Soccer will never be big in the US. It just won't. You know why? Because the elite athletes, the ones that would make a difference and allow us to dominate the sport, can make a lot more money playing basketball or football or baseball or a whole host of other sports. Sorry but its true. You're never going to get Percy Harvin type guys on the soccer field here and that's what its going to take to win on the world stage.

Alvin's right….we won precisely one game and that was a close one against a little team from Africa. Anybody who thinks this is some great accomplishment has been spending too much time in sports that hands out participation trophies like…..well, you know.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Zambo;n9115 said:
I don't know much about soccer but I did watch the match. IMO, we looked very substandard compared to the Belgians. Some of our guys looked like they'd be more suited to golf than a physical sport like soccer. If not for some spectacular saves by our goalie, who was very athletic, we lose that game 3 or 4 to nil.

Soccer will never be big in the US. It just won't. You know why? Because the elite athletes, the ones that would make a difference and allow us to dominate the sport, can make a lot more money playing basketball or football or baseball or a whole host of other sports. Sorry but its true. You're never going to get Percy Harvin type guys on the soccer field here and that's what its going to take to win on the world stage.

Alvin's right….we won precisely one game and that was a close one against a little team from Africa. Anybody who thinks this is some great accomplishment has been spending too much time in sports that hands out participation trophies like…..well, you know.

Well, I don't see why the US can't start paying elite soccer athletes comparable paychecks to draw them in. I mean if they want to be competitive at the world level, they need to open up their checkbooks imo.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Its not about the US paying soccer players to be on the world cup team….its about young middle and high school kids who are deciding what they're going to pursue. When the notoriety and paychecks are dangling in front of the bigger sports then the best athletes on average are going to go to those sports rather than the "other" sports where like 20 people show up to the game and if you're a top tier player you might make hundreds of thousands of dollars…maybe. I wonder what the league minimum in the NFL or NBA or MLB is compared to the salary of a pro soccer player.

Alvin York

Founding Member
Ultimate Gator Nemesis
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r;n9144 said:
Well, I don't see why the US can't start paying elite soccer athletes comparable paychecks to draw them in. I mean if they want to be competitive at the world level, they need to open up their checkbooks imo.

They'll open up their checkbooks when billionaires like Jerry Jones can count on soccer fans, sports channels and corporate sponsors to guarantee mega television ratings like the NFL and college football can deliver. That is not going to happen in American culture. Soccer will always be a secondary sport to be comically resurrected every four years at the World Cup.

Jabberdave

Founding Member
Your mom is very pretty.
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Zambo;n9155 said:
Its not about the US paying soccer players to be on the world cup team….its about young middle and high school kids who are deciding what they're going to pursue. When the notoriety and paychecks are dangling in front of the bigger sports then the best athletes on average are going to go to those sports rather than the "other" sports where like 20 people show up to the game and if you're a top tier player you might make hundreds of thousands of dollars…maybe. I wonder what the league minimum in the NFL or NBA or MLB is compared to the salary of a pro soccer player.
It's getting better.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Zambo is spot on. But it is getting better. Clint Dempsey has an 8 million dollar contract. The problem is the median salary is below 100k. If I had 20 million dollars burning a hole in my pocket I would buy an mls team. I think chances are good that I could pull a Don sterling and sell it for a couple of billion in 30 years.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Money is there to be made for the players. Look at how much they are making in other countries.
Ronaldo: $28.77M
Messi: $21.92M
Bale: $26.83M
Rooney: $18.1M
Suarez: $17.2M

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
NVGator;n9272 said:
Money is there to be made for the players. Look at how much they are making in other countries. Ronaldo: $28.77M Messi: $21.92M Bale: $26.83M Rooney: $18.1M Suarez: $17.2M
Those numbers are out of date. Ronaldo and Messi have both recently signed new contracts for more than double that.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Bernardo de la Paz;n9276 said:
Those numbers are out of date. Ronaldo and Messi have both recently signed new contracts for more than double that.
Unfortunately, neither of those guys are playing for the US.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I just went by what Wiki says and looking at Messi it was just from 2012.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r;n9278 said:
Unfortunately, neither of those guys are playing for the US.
If those other poor azz countries can afford to pay them that, then it's possible it can be made here.

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah you're right there.Rooney makes about 21-22 mil a year and Ronaldo and Messi make at least 10 mil more than him.There is also a big difference in how they do things overseas. In the bigger wealthier leagues, England,Spain,Ger etc. The clubs pay the taxes , so the players salaries go completely to the players.Also they will lease cars pay heating bills whatever. They also get win bonuses per game, for winning leagues , cups etc. And that doesn't count endorsements which play to a much larger audience than the U.S. sports.When they get sold the players also get 10-20 % as a bonus .The lesser players in England for example make about 1.8 mil so with taxes paid that's probably what? 3 or so mil?

Jabberdave

Founding Member
Your mom is very pretty.
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
American clubs can't afford those types of contracts. A few probably could, but the league has to keep a level playing field. There are creative ways to get stars here later in their careers. Like Beckham. He wasn't just offered a healthy contract to play in LA, he was also given the right to a future MLS expansion team. That's what he's working on in Miami now.

The league continues to expand and, as they do so, they're loosening the restrictions on clubs to bring in higher talent. Hopefully, that results in higher viewer ratings, more money from sponsors and packed stadiums. Rinse and repeat.

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You're right of course , I was more answering Zambo and Nv's posts. I think MLS is actually being extremely smart in the way they're going about their business . The NASl is probably one of the best examples of how NOT to start up a league , those salaries were ridiculous and led to the eventual folding of the league.

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So... What is the body count gonna be after the riot in Brazil tonight? This game is way out of control.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Unreal. Brazil looks totally lost on defense.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
8802Gator;n11234 said:
They have completely given up. Pretty amazing.

They might as well give up - hell, forfeit for that matter and stop the embarrassment.
I'd be concerned for the safety of the goalie after this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator