Recruiting 2019 NSD: 4* DE Khris Bogle and 4* CB Elam signs

CHAMPIONSHIP: If you were forced to have dinner with one of these members, who would you choose?

• Swamp Donkey

• Swamp Queen

• Durty South Swamp

• dubster1

• BNAG8R

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
So we "azzholes" will continue to point out that chick little and his sock puppets just know every recruiting season the sky is falling. Some of us like to actually see what happens before we decide whether what happened is promising or terrible.

The problem is while you kept suggesting it was all just chicken little, irrational screaming the sky has already fallen.

What do the Florida Gators need to do to retake the SEC? - Read and Reaction

The chart below shows average national ranking, average conference ranking, average 247Sports ranking, average number of 5-star recruits and average number of 4-star recruits from 2015-2018 for Florida and its main rivals.

2018-04-29-Floridas-recruiting-vs-rivals.jpg

Florida’s recruiting versus its rivals from 2015-2018. (Will Miles/Read and Reaction)

The chart makes it pretty clear why Florida has struggled. The Gators have a very similar talent level to Tennessee. But Florida State, Georgia and Alabama are comfortably in front.

This chart would look worse if it included other powers like Penn St, Michigan, OSU, Clemson USC,Auburn and LSU, among others.

What so many of us hoped, even if we doubted it would happen, is Mullen would start to fix the fallen sky. This class is alarming because the fix looks 5-8 more years away.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The problem is while you kept suggesting it was all just chicken little, irrational screaming the sky has already fallen.

The chart below shows average national ranking, average conference ranking, average 247Sports ranking, average number of 5-star recruits and average number of 4-star recruits from 2015-2018 for Florida and its main rivals.

Florida’s recruiting versus its rivals from 2015-2018. (Will Miles/Read and Reaction)

The chart makes it pretty clear why Florida has struggled. The Gators have a very similar talent level to Tennessee. But Florida State, Georgia and Alabama are comfortably in front.

This chart would look worse if it included other powers like Penn St, Michigan, OSU, Clemson USC,Auburn and LSU, among others.

What so many of us hoped, even if we doubted it would happen, is Mullen would start to fix the fallen sky. This class is alarming because the fix looks 5-8 more years away.

Yep without Mullen unless he makes changes to help with the 2020 class. Any changes after that will be too late for him to survive.

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017

The analysis obviously also does not adjust for the overall effects of the early signing period (since we've only had one). Consider that and we are seriously behind the curve.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015

If he don't show promise within the 1st 4 years he better not get a 5th year. And what I mean by promise is by year 3 we should be competing for top 5 recruiting classes and at least competing for sec titles. And going into year 4 competing for playoff spots. If were not doing either he should get a 5th year.

He's not getting paid 6 million a year to not be bringing in top 5 classes. It's been done in the past so we know it's possible, so go out and do it. Same goes for championships. I personally don't see him ever having a top 10 class or a 10 win season. He's an average coach and a poor recruiter. That's not a good combo for being the head coach at UF

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Our recruiting sucks if you haven't noticed

The first signing day is in December if you chicken littles haven't noticed?

Another way to look at this, even though I hate to see play this star gazing game with you star gazers, is, if you double the current class from 11 to 22 and from 4 4 star public commitments and 7 3 star public commitments to 8 4 star signees and 14 3 star signees, you would have a class that would be similar to SoCar 2018. That SoCar class had 9 4 star signees and 13 3 star signnes and ranked 18th in the country.

So the question becomes do you think UF's recruiting from here on out will just be a doubling of what UF has now or do you believe UF will close strong? There are sort of three ways to think about this UF:

1. UF could as in my example above just about double what UF has now and finish about 15 to 20.

2. UF could fall flat from here out and finish with say 6 4 star signees and 16 3 star signees and finish about 23rd ala UNC last year, 6 4 star signees and 15 3 star signees to 30th ala Baylor last year, 6 4 star signees and 16 3 star signees.

3. UF could finish strong with say 11 4 star signees and 11 3 star signees. (I could have made this even stronger as I did in my example using the 247 class calculator. That would be a bit like the class that would be in the Oregon 2018 in the 10 to 15 range.

So this class is about half in the books, IF you think all the commitment will stand. Each can have their own view on how they think UF will close, but that will determine how this class is "ranked."

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Yep - the only smart thing the AD did making it where its really no different firing him at the 3 year mark if he doesn't get his act together with recruiting..

Exactly ZERO coaches in history have been fired for bad recruiting. Coaches are fired for their results on the field. Certainly bad results on the field can follow bad recruiting.

An occasional coach is retained because they have such a good class coming in. More times than not, retaining a mediocre coach to save a recruiting class ends up being a bad strategy.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Exactly ZERO coaches in history have been fired for bad recruiting. Coaches are fired for their results on the field. Certainly bad results on the field can follow bad recruiting.

An occasional coach is retained because they have such a good class coming in. More times than not, retaining a mediocre coach to save a recruiting class ends up being a bad strategy.

I will give you one fired for bad recruiting at a place like UF - Mac. His mediocre recruiting contributed to embarassing losses to FSU and Bama in 16 and another 5 embarrassing losses in 2017.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I will give you one fired for bad recruiting at a place like UF - Mac. His mediocre recruiting contributed to embarassing losses to FSU and Bama in 16 and another 5 embarrassing losses in 2017.

You are completely out of your mind and failed to read my post.

McElwain was fired for not doing the job he was hired to do. He was hired to win AND BRING UF'S OFFENSE BACK. He failed at the latter part and then gave UF an opening to fire him with his unreported death threat statement. But rest assured that he had exactly the same record and UF's offense had improved to the middle of the pack, McElwain would still be at UF.

And let me make a stronger statement to try to correct your craziness. No one has or will EVER BE FIRED for recruiting after having the consensus 12th rank class their second year and 11th ranked class their 3rd year. They might be fired like McElwain for performance on the field or an off field issue, but they will never be fired that for recruiting.

Can you not just step back and see how you sound? McElwain had a transition class of 21 and then the 12th and 11th classes in the country and YOU are claiming he was fired for recruiting? Good Grief!

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
You are completely out of your mind and failed to read my post.

McElwain was fired for not doing the job he was hired to do. He was hired to win AND BRING UF'S OFFENSE BACK. He failed at the latter part and then gave UF an opening to fire him with his unreported death threat statement. But rest assured that had he won had exactly the same record and UF's offense had improved to the middle of the pack, McElwain would still be at UF.

And let me make a stronger statement to try to correct your craziness. No one has or will EVER BE FIRED for recruiting after having the consensus 12th rank class their second year and 11th ranked class their 3rd year. They might be fired like McElwain for performance on the field or an off field issue, but they will never be fired for recruiting.

Can you not just step back and see how you sound? McElwain had a transition class of 21 and then the 12th and 11th classes in the country and YOU are claiming he was fired for recruiting? Good Grief!

:lol: Mac had 2 joke classes out of the gate. Even using the composite instead of Rivals his joke classes were 10th and 6th in the SEC those years respectively and not top 10 classes nationally. It is one reason why we got pounded by certain teams in 2016 and 2017.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Ok Fake news, don't let any facts get in your way. That 12th composite rating class is a joke for sure.

Yep when you are at UF and its 6th in your own conference. It also appears to be one of the worst classes in recent years for blue chippers panning out unless some of them make really big strides this season.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Yep when you are at UF and its 6th in your own conference. It also appears to be one of the worst classes in recent years for blue chippers panning out unless some of them make really big strides this season.

Look fake news I can not help it if you do not understand recruiting. I don't really have the time to clue you in today.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Let’s put this into perspective. Last year’s class was pretty damn good. I’d say top 10 good when factoring in the three transfers plus Krull.

That was a transition class. This is a bump class. We need better. We are not looking good for a top 20 class this year. It’s not a wait until signing day argument. Events like the spring game and FNL are built to gain commitments and they were duds.

You can’t say wait and see when what we’ve been seeing is crap. How about opening your eyes and see what’s been going on.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
:lol: Mac had 2 joke classes out of the gate. Even using the composite instead of Rivals his joke classes were 10th and 6th in the SEC those years respectively and not top 10 classes nationally. It is one reason why we got pounded by certain teams in 2016 and 2017.

While he had some poor classes it has more to do with the poor recruiting muscrap did...those were the upper classmen for those butters teams. Should not have to rely on frosh to win games and if you do you’re in serious ****

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Hard to find humor in our situation, but this board is so negative that it is difficult for Omar and company to get more negative than the board average. That is a little funny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator