Recruiting 2019 NSD: 4* DE Khris Bogle and 4* CB Elam signs

CHAMPIONSHIP: If you were forced to have dinner with one of these members, who would you choose?

• Swamp Donkey

• Swamp Queen

• Durty South Swamp

• dubster1

• BNAG8R

Results are only viewable after voting.

Musclepug

never go full retard
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2018
some schools can fake the numbers, like the nulls last year . they had a lot of high ranked dbs..... but nothing else.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I see a lot of references to overall class ranking, and I get it to an extent, but I dont think class rankings really correlates the needs of the teams to the list of commits.

This is true. We are behind half-a$$-u in class ranking. But, their 2 biggest needs are at o-line and LB. Tagger has one LB who is shopping around and one o-line commit. He's on backups to backups with his o-line recruiting. What good is a bunch of 4-5 star skill players if you suck in the trenches? From what I've read, criminole fans are panicked.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I see a lot of references to overall class ranking, and I get it to an extent, but I dont think class rankings really correlates the needs of the teams to the list of commits. Butters left CDM with some obvious holes to fill. I am more interested in how CDM is filling them vs how we rank overall. In my very limited understanding of the process of keeping a team stocked, I imagine there is a number at each position you want to fill annually to stay on schedule. While I know Butters had it all F'd up, I have no idea how F'd up our schedule is so I have no idea what numbers we are needing to get us back on schedule asap.

So with regards to that too-wordy blurb above, how we doing now?

The problem is class ranking does matter. Sure, we need to fill positions of need. But at the end of the day you need both: fill your needs....with highly ranked kids. Easier said than done, but there are some schools/coaches that do it better than others (look at the top 10 of the class rankings).

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
The problem is class ranking does matter. Sure, we need to fill positions of need. But at the end of the day you need both: fill your needs....with highly ranked kids. Easier said than done, but there are some schools/coaches that do it better than others (look at the top 10 of the class rankings).

Yeah ... I think I addressed that in my first sentence. Never said class rankings dont matter.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Our DB recruiting is a head scratcher. We're still going after a lot of CB's, but not Safeties. Warren is visiting a 3-star CB committed to LSU (from Alabama). Why? Kid is 160lbs and isn't a Safety prospect (Cordale Flott, 6'1 160, from Saraland, Alabama).

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Yeah ... I think I addressed that in my first sentence. Never said class rankings dont matter.

Well, either you get it....to an extent...or you don't get it. I'm tired of the "stars don't matter" bullsh*t on here. If that's the take from a poster (not you specifically) then they can go post on swampgas and wonder why we finished w/ 3 losses every year and lose to the teams w/ more talented rosters than ours. Obviously a coach needs to fill his teams needs, and most classes have misses and Plan B's (although Butters rarely had a Plan B....and if he did it was an FAU or FIU recruit). But at the end of the day, the class needs to have a large majority be blue-chips (4-stars or better) vs. 3-star fluff. Dorlus is a Plan B this year. He is committed to Va Tech and has other P5 offers. That's a good Plan B (although he's ranked around 1000 overall). I'm okay with him. But outside of him, we need to focus on more talented players to fill those needs (Fuller, Hunter, Handy).

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Well, either you get it....to an extent...or you don't get it. I'm tired of the "stars don't matter" bullsh*t on here. If that's the take from a poster (not you specifically) then they can go post on swampgas and wonder why we finished w/ 3 losses every year and lose to the teams w/ more talented rosters than ours. Obviously a coach needs to fill his teams needs, and most classes have misses and Plan B's (although Butters rarely had a Plan B....and if he did it was an FAU or FIU recruit). But at the end of the day, the class needs to have a large majority be blue-chips (4-stars or better) vs. 3-star fluff. Dorlus is a Plan B this year. He is committed to Va Tech and has other P5 offers. That's a good Plan B (although he's ranked around 1000 overall). I'm okay with him. But outside of him, we need to focus on more talented players to fill those needs (Fuller, Hunter, Handy).

Edit: BMF ... didn't fully read this before responding. I am a goober.

I guess you didn't 'get it'. I wasn't talking stars. Stars are obviously good .. .who would argue that unless they are arguing the different algorithms used to come to a star worth. My question was 'star agnostic' ... not anti-star. My question was more to how are we doing to the needs we have vs just a bunch of stars. Yes ... I want the most talented players out there but I don't want 6 5* QB commits and 1 5* OL commit.

BluH2OGtr

May 28, 2016
Kid is making his decision Dec. 19th...I wonder if this is his last OV. Sure would be nice to be the last GREAT memory he has before commiting somewhere
upload_2018-12-4_10-8-12.png

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
I wonder why 247 thinks so poorly of Tarquin. They had him top 150 at the beginning of the year and now he’s mid 600’s. The other sites still have him high which is why he’s top 300 composite

Some on the Miami site mentioned something about having back surgery or something like that. Did he miss time or anything?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Edit: BMF ... didn't fully read this before responding. I am a goober.

I guess you didn't 'get it'. I wasn't talking stars. Stars are obviously good .. .who would argue that unless they are arguing the different algorithms used to come to a star worth. My question was 'star agnostic' ... not anti-star. My question was more to how are we doing to the needs we have vs just a bunch of stars. Yes ... I want the most talented players out there but I don't want 6 5* QB commits and 1 5* OL commit.

Well to answer how are we doing on needs: we're doing pretty good everywhere except: DL, Safety, and WR. It looks like we'll end up with a solid DL, but not great - unless we get a big-time flip (Thib, Fuller, Handy). WR is weak, but could be boosted if we get Higgins (don't see it happening right now). Safety is a disaster (Whit, from Gainesville, likely outgrows the position....and is ranked around 500th overall). I really like the QB, OL is solid, CB should be great, TE will be fine if we get Zip, LB is great.

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017

True. It really is set up nicely for Mullen to take over. Still lots of pieces need to fall quickly in the 2019 class.
Kid is making his decision Dec. 19th...I wonder if this is his last OV. Sure would be nice to be the last GREAT memory he has before commiting somewhere

Not holding my breath, expect another cancelled visit.

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
I wonder why 247 thinks so poorly of Tarquin. They had him top 150 at the beginning of the year and now he’s mid 600’s. The other sites still have him high which is why he’s top 300 composite

Didn't he suffer a shoulder injury and had to undergo surgery this season?

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Sometimes stars don’t matter, but there are few circumstances for that. Not going to rehash those, but we all know that there are some 3* that we get excited about. However, those are few and the vast number of kids need to be blue chippers

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
This startled me = we have 14 walk-ons on our roster ... who probably never play ? Is that typical for playoff caliber teams ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator