Recruiting 2019 recruiting still Butterslike, #17 class

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I keep seeing the re-occuring theme that Mullen needs to shake up his staff for recruitment purposes. I get that ... but ... wouldn't this be the worst time to do that?

Don't try that "logic" stuff on us!

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
It appears we have 6 OL all 290 and over. Which is nice. Only 1 DT but he is over 300. We a few more in my opinion.
Especially the DT types....they're not usually brain surgeons by any means and some fall off due to academics...If we have 1 we need 4 more IMO...

Last edited:

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Again, I think very few people would disagree with anything you just posted here. However, it's still POSSIBLE this ends up a higher ranked class than we're expecting. Let's wait until NSD before we throw ourselves off of cliffs.

There's nothing wrong with people being optimistic. Mullen has actually given us some optimism for the first time in years. Why do some feel the need to go out of their way to crush every sliver of optimism?

No one is throwing anything off a cliff. That's just ridiculous, just like pumping a highly ranked class that isn't likely to happen.

Everyone, even Law is stoked that kids are coming to visit. These aren't the plan D kids that Butters signed, so we're happy the effort is being made. However, until Mullen proves his ability to recruit here, there are going to be doubters.

And I'm happy we have Mullen instead of Butters, I think everyone is. I just think we'd be happier with recruiting if we didn't have someone waste a good chunk of the early period recruiting CA instead of putting that time to use in FL and GA.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
There's nothing wrong with people being optimistic. Mullen has actually given us some optimism for the first time in years. Why do some feel the need to go out of their way to crush every sliver of optimism?

Quote from a classic movie. "This is reality Fred". So I look at the class and my first thought is OH ****. What am I supposed to do? Post what I'm NOT thinking. I used to post thoughts that were eternally optimistic so this wouldn't sway new recruits. I've come to realize recruits don't give two damns or a toad's foot what I think. They even care less than our fellow posters, and that's going some.

Last edited:

GatorMan5K

Gatorologist
Lifetime Member
Oct 9, 2014
The best salesman in the world could not sale the same product to a woman that just killed her husband.

Look. The last time we were any good, these kids were 7 or 8 years old. One good year may sway some of the better kids, but not the best. To say Mullen can't recruit based on the current class, which is still to be determined, is asinine.

You are a top intern at a flagship company, about to hire on . But this other company who has been doing horrible for 10 years, but had one good year, comes a calling... Who do you choose?

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
The best salesman in the world could not sale the same product to a woman that just killed her husband.

Look. The last time we were any good, these kids were 7 or 8 years old. One good year may sway some of the better kids, but not the best. To say Mullen can't recruit based on the current class, which is still to be determined, is asinine.

You are a top intern at a flagship company, about to hire on . But this other company who has been doing horrible for 10 years, but had one good year, comes a calling... Who do you choose?

Depends...If I get a better position in a growing Industry vs working in a cubical where It might take me 2 years to get noticed?

GatorMan5K

Gatorologist
Lifetime Member
Oct 9, 2014
Depends...If I get a better position in a growing Industry vs working in a cubical where It might take me 2 years to get noticed?
That's basically what these kids are faced with. Some may not have the Brass stones you have.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
That's basically what these kids are faced with. Some may not have the Brass stones you have.

Sit the bench at UGA or Bama or start in a year?

You're on TV. If you want to go NFL? Start for Top 10 Team?

GatorMan5K

Gatorologist
Lifetime Member
Oct 9, 2014

Yeah, look at the running backs who sat 3 years behind a stud, and went to the NFL as a first or second round draft pick... Not to mention the cars, but I digress. Winners draw winners and we gotta make our brand a winner again, a long standing winner.

I'm specifically talking about bama.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Yeah, look at the running backs who sat 3 years behind a stud, and went to the NFL as a first or second round draft pick... Not to mention the cars, but I digress. Winners draw winners and we gotta make our brand a winner again, a long standing winner.

I'm specifically talking about bama.

Brother I agree...we need to get back to Atlanta every year and not Dec 29.

I am just saying, If I'm in Florida and can start in 1or 2 years on an improving team with early playing time...SS or backup...especially if I can make an impact I'm there.

Look at our LBs?

And FSU should help.

GatorMan5K

Gatorologist
Lifetime Member
Oct 9, 2014
Absolutely, the fact the other two big Florida teams are down (f you UCF, get a real schedule) in my measure is the only reason we are where we are right now... Al la two Miami flips.
We are starting to have an upside, but 1 year does not change the past, and those that think we should be top five after 10 years of being mediocre, are just, well stupid.

10 years of addiction that hurt family and friends is not made up by 1 year of rehab.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

Top kids dont give a shyt about playing time. They assume they will beat out the others.

If roster holes or the way the kids chose schools, Vandy would lead the way every year.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Top kids dont give a shyt about playing time. They assume they will beat out the others.

If roster holes or the way the kids chose schools, Vandy would lead the way every year.

But Vandy is not a Top 10 school.

It's not just playing time...its development and exposure also.

I get it, super stars play anywhere BUT until we can attract another Harvin, Tebow, or Emit, ...we need a lot of VERY GOOD players.

And one day, BAMA and OSU won't be getting first shot at Talent.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Ive been told this before and you are bringing back traumatic memories.

who am I kidding? I got drunk and it went fine.

Ox gave me plenty of Zimas first.
Don't worry. College football will be a fraction of its glory days in probably 8 years. I thought it might come sooner.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I keep seeing the re-occuring theme that Mullen needs to shake up his staff for recruitment purposes. I get that ... but ... wouldn't this be the worst time to do that?
No, if the dead weight had been tossed immediately in November, the new coaches would have had three weeks to right the ship. EJ was added last year by Mullinz after he was on the job only a couple of weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.