Recruiting 2020 Recruiting Thread: Gervon Dexter gets 5th Star on Rivals

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
you think we're going to be able to sell four touches a game?

Or Van Jefferson getting 35 in 13 games? Grimes getting 26? (And half were screens.)

We're going to have trouble selling any of our skill positions until we adopt some up-tempo stuff. Ball control, run out the clock meerkat offense just won't do it.

Yeah mullen's offense is not good to the WRs. They get super talented kids here and then ask them to block mostly. But I'm hoping we can trick some kids for a few years. Maybe it'll get better. I just like that we can talk about getting guys like this again. Mullen was at this kid's basketbal game the other night. 20190125_020913.png

Defend the Swamp

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2018
Recruiting then wasnt what it is today. Classes were ranked, atleast the top ones, and a few of the top players, but not 1000 like today.

Nevertheless, the guy who was conaider THE Superbluechip out of those guys was...........

Nafis Karim.

Also, to answer the question, the last 5 star receiver was Debose. Thompson before him.

Both sucked.

Kinda my point. The 3 you mentioned had their moments (even DT in the League). But Im unsure we’ve ever been destination One for the typical 5 Star variety WR.
I’m an advocate of finding the best talent at all positions. I’m definitely not a “stars don’t matter”’guy...it’s obvious BCs are needed for a consistent contender.
Still, give me a Van Jefferson all day every day to lead the effort. This young man impresses me with his technique, work ethic, and skill. He’s the kind of player that should help bring out the best of those around him. Grimes has flashed. I actually saw Cleveland catch a ball with his hands instead of cradling prior to injury. Swain had his moments before going down. Hammond has been reliable, not spectacular.
Give coaching their due credit. And DM has done amazing work with FF progress.
But credit Van leading the group & improving the WR room.
Just imagine Toney with Van’s technique & film study. Or Copeland back from injury & learning from watching Van this past season. Or Pitts modeling his game after this mentor.
Collectively, this WR group has potential to shine together. And working together, not individually, will take the team to the next level.
Summarily, BC recruits (especially within the state) should see UF as viable choice to learn, develop, and fight for championships. Even if he might never accrue 1000yds per season.
And if I’m Mullen, I push the Super Blue Chip Prospect to sign up as the new leader each year. To not only chase that elusive 1000yds but, challenge him to teach his teammates how to work.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
He's not a dual threat. How is he going to fit at UF? He'll either end up like Jake Allen or Swonkey's favorite, Trask, at Florida. Oh, Carson Beck is a 3 star.
A QB for CDM has to be a willing runner. He has to have a football IQ and take advantage of defenses with his legs when opportunity is there. He doesn't have to be Percy Harvin.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
He's not a dual threat. How is he going to fit at UF? He'll either end up like Jake Allen or Swonkey's favorite, Trask, at Florida. Oh, Carson Beck is a 3 star.

Unlike Trask, Beck actually plays high school football.

Another good comparison would be Alex Smith. He was a pro style QB who adapted and thrived in Mullen’s offense.

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
Beck likes not only our up and coming football but he still wants to play baseball and a gator game made him want to play football but he didn’t want to play for the old regime and was in wait and see mode w Mullen

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
A QB for CDM has to be a willing runner. He has to have a football IQ and take advantage of defenses with his legs when opportunity is there. He doesn't have to be Percy Harvin.
No the QB doesn't have to be Percy, but the offense sure works better when the QB has a Percy Harvin to give it to or fake it to. (See 2007 & 2008.) The trick of course is finding (and signing) a Percy Harvin.......

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I personally like EJ’s skill set. He seems to be able to make the reads quickly and has the ability to throw the WR open. He’s a quick and willing runner.

Since a lot of these screens are essentially long handoffs, I see no reason why we can pass the ball 60-65% of the time. More touches for our WR’s and less reliance on needing multiple backs. I’d also like to see the QB only run the ball as the defense dictates.

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016

I watched some of his highlight videos. He's fast. I think he can run. Plus he wants to play baseball here. So we should take him if he wants to flip.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think Jeff Demps had faster straight line speed, but Percy seemed to get to top speed quicker and was hell of a lot shiftier, and clearly had elite speed as well. Like Percy, Toney has crazy cutting ability, almost video game like. But yeah, Toney has no where near Percy speed. Do love seeing him with the ball in his hands tho.

Toney has good cuts for sure...maybe even better than Percy but Percy didn’t need to cut drastically because he could go from stop to full speed in about 1 step. I’ve never seen a player with that sudden acceleration

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

A 3* committed to Bama. He doesn’t play like a 3 *

Tay Bang

I might have been mean to Byrd
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
Don't blow it off. I had a friend who was having migraines for probably a year, then he woke up paralyzed on one side. He had been throwing clots due to a (pretty common) heart septal wall defect. He recovered quickly but it's not always "just a headache".

First or Worst. Big red flag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.