Recruiting 2020 Recruiting Thread: Gervon Dexter gets 5th Star on Rivals

Status
Not open for further replies.

leogator

May 5, 2018
Lets be real here, im very pleased overall with mullen and the direction of the program, but the recruiting has to pick up or we will plateu right around 9-10 wins a year and that will be our living space. Our own Mark Richt to be brutally honest.

I've heard the 'win and they will come' mantra from many for years... its only marginaly true. We are winning, and because of that, we are getting some. But there are teams out there that arent winning nearly as much that are getting more, because winning is only part of the recipe, and like it or not, it isnt the main ingredient. If you can only have one, wins or stud recruiters, the stud recruiters will land you more talent than the wins will. Its been historically proven over and over again. Kids are young and impressionable, and the right salesman can sell ice to an eskimo. No matter how counterintuitive it seems, its just truth, and its because these are 17 and 18 yr old kids and they dont make decisions like adults do.

We will likely finish this year as good or better than last based on what weve seen so far this season and in comparison to our SEC east peers and remaining schedule, but I'd be surprised if we end up much different on signing day than last recruiting cycle because of it. Gators were probably the second hottest team in the nation by seasons end, second only to Clemson... and look what it got us. A meh class with a couple of hail mary's that never had a chance of stepping on campus, just to make things look a little better on signing day. Tell me how a similar finish (very likely) this year is going to be any different?

We need to jettison some dead weight and get some crooters. I dont put this on Mullen... yet. It's on his personnel, but its his job to make moves to his staff once these issues are identified. If he doesnt, then it is on him. Get to work.
We need bagmen. Sal Sunseri is all of a sudden a star recruiter at Bama. He did chit when he was here.

leogator

May 5, 2018
Agreed, winning helps marginally.
With us winning and FSU/UM sucking we should be loaded. Even UGAy is showing cracks. That we are not says volumes about the recruiting staff. This is the perfect storm for us yet so far we haven't been able to take advantage of it. Recruiters are like salesman, either you're a closer or you're not, there's no in between. We need closers.
I'm praying that Mullen makes changes to the staff. If it takes a subpar class this year for him to realize it then so be it.
Let's win the East maybe even win the SEC, then let's talk. Let's beat Georgia first.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Not overly exciting...but we did land a commitment tonight from a PWO long-snapper out of Sarasota, 6'5 220lbs, August Drews - also plays TE:

Oscar the G

Nov 7, 2018
Lets be real here, im very pleased overall with mullen and the direction of the program, but the recruiting has to pick up or we will plateu right around 9-10 wins a year and that will be our living space. Our own Mark Richt to be brutally honest.

I've heard the 'win and they will come' mantra from many for years... its only marginaly true. We are winning, and because of that, we are getting some. But there are teams out there that arent winning nearly as much that are getting more, because winning is only part of the recipe, and like it or not, it isnt the main ingredient. If you can only have one, wins or stud recruiters, the stud recruiters will land you more talent than the wins will. Its been historically proven over and over again. Kids are young and impressionable, and the right salesman can sell ice to an eskimo. No matter how counterintuitive it seems, its just truth, and its because these are 17 and 18 yr old kids and they dont make decisions like adults do.

We will likely finish this year as good or better than last based on what weve seen so far this season and in comparison to our SEC east peers and remaining schedule, but I'd be surprised if we end up much different on signing day than last recruiting cycle because of it. Gators were probably the second hottest team in the nation by seasons end, second only to Clemson... and look what it got us. A meh class with a couple of hail mary's that never had a chance of stepping on campus, just to make things look a little better on signing day. Tell me how a similar finish (very likely) this year is going to be any different?

We need to jettison some dead weight and get some crooters. I dont put this on Mullen... yet. It's on his personnel, but its his job to make moves to his staff once these issues are identified. If he doesnt, then it is on him. Get to work.
I agree with most of it, but I also think you take it too far. Richt is a pretty poor example imo, didnt he have pretty good recruiting classes?

You dont believe we will finish differently this cycle compared to last? Heck, you might be right, but I'd bet against it. I really doubt we lose 5ish guys immediately.

I do agree we need to jettison some guys and get some recruiters, but i dont see the doom and gloom if it doesn't happen as soon as we like. Heck, most of us think we can beat uga this year.

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
9-10 wins is optimistic with this kind of recruiting. We will be wishing for Richt 2.0. The whole wait for the results on the field is ridiculous. We are significantly ahead of Miami and FSU in terms of results on the field, yet our recruiting to this stage is about the same.

We need those damn facilities yesterday and we need Mullen to hire better recruiters.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
9-10 wins is optimistic with this kind of recruiting. We will be wishing for Richt 2.0. The whole wait for the results on the field is ridiculous. We are significantly ahead of Miami and FSU in terms of results on the field, yet our recruiting to this stage is about the same.
He’s recruiting slightly better than what we’ve had the last 4 years and is on pace for 9-10 wins again. I’d say its pretty realistic.

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
He’s recruiting slightly better than what we’ve had the last 4 years and is on pace for 9-10 wins again. I’d say its pretty realistic.

The attrition in the 2019 class was significantly above average and with adjustment after attrition we are barely in the top 20.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
The attrition in the 2019 class was significantly above average and with adjustment after attrition we are barely in the top 20.
The 247 team talent composite isn’t the end all be all but here’s the last few years:

2015-15th
2016-16th
2017-17th
2018-12th
2019-15th

I tried to find the revisited 2019 rankings but I want to say we fell to 16th-ish - which is right in line with the average talent we’ve had on hand. Additionally, probably not a whole lot of variation between teams in the teens. I’m guessing our 2020 class is around 10th or so when all is said and done and will keep our talent composite about the same.

TL;DR - Rankings don’t support your claim.

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
The 247 team talent composite isn’t the end all be all but here’s the last few years:

2015-15th
2016-16th
2017-17th
2018-12th
2019-15th

I tried to find the revisited 2019 rankings but I want to say we fell to 16th-ish - which is right in line with the average talent we’ve had on hand. Additionally, probably not a whole lot of variation between teams in the teens. I’m guessing our 2020 class is around 10th or so when all is said and done and will keep our talent composite about the same.

TL;DR - Rankings don’t support your claim.

Data shows that teams ranked in the 11-20 range win on average 64% of their games. Thats 7-8 wins on average. We play in the SEC, where that means 4-5 teams will out talent is, two of which we play every year (UGA and LSU) and every once in a while our rotating west opponent is going to be Bama or Auburn. Thats also assuming UT and FSU will remain down and won't be competetive.

Wining 9-10 games with a roster ranked 15 is above average, and at some point we will regress to the mean, in some years we may under achieve the average. It is bound to happen.

Is a top-10 recruiting class good enough for Florida in 2019? - Read and Reaction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.