Recruiting 2020 Recruiting Thread: Gervon Dexter gets 5th Star on Rivals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
UGA has only 15 commits to our 21. Their star rating average is miles ahead of us. We are still not recruiting in their stratosphere.
Their stars and ratings are also run by a bunch of UGA guys....case in point, Dexter has absolutely dominated everyone this year but not camped with those idiots meanwhile #1 Bryan Bresee has played JV teams all year but has been up their asses

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don't recall signing many 5* safeties and it seems a couple we did sign were huge disappointments. Give me Amad Black any day!

Reggie Nelson was a 4* per Rivals. I wouldn't mind 2 or 3 of his caliber roaming around back there.
pretty sure he was five star out of high school, the first time we signed him. I don't think he even bothered to do the recruiting thing the second time around after juco.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
pretty sure he was five star out of high school, the first time we signed him. I don't think he even bothered to do the recruiting thing the second time around after juco.
I did a quick google search and it had a 2003 and 2005 ranking... I obviously assumed 2003 was his HS ranking and Rivals had him listed as a 4*. Didn't bother to look at 2005 because we're focusing in HS rankings.

Edit: 2005 had him as 4* also. Despite not being a 5* that dude was an absolute beast! The Eraser. You don't get your own nickname like that without being a stud. I mean look at Trask. You have a nickname for him, which I hate, but hell... it proves my point. Amirite.?.?.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I dont necessarily agree that the OL works fine with EJ on the field.
I'm sure you're better at network engineering. Why not just admit you dont know shyt about this?

Franks was way more pocket than dual is the point.
And the running game looked like garbage last year until Franks started running some and making them honor the QB keep.

It is as simple as that.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I did a quick google search and it had a 2003 and 2005 ranking... I obviously assumed 2003 was his HS ranking and Rivals had him listed as a 4*. Didn't bother to look at 2005 because we're focusing in HS rankings.
Ive been wrong before.

Money back guarantee.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
I'm sure you're better at network engineering. Why not just admit you dont know shyt about this?

Franks was way more pocket than dual is the point.
And the running game looked like garbage last year until Franks started running some and making them honor the QB keep.

It is as simple as that.

On my good days ... probably. I did just fix your mess of a quote though.

Franks run better than Trask. Your point is kinda dumb. EJ makes any OL look better compared to Franks or Trask. Again, start EJ and I am pretty sure Defenses adjust and shut us down. Our OL just isn't very good.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
it is really damn risky to wait.

I'd say "nothing but risky."

BECAUSE BINARY!!!!

And Pumpers say #3StarWhisperer dont need no talent, except when he loses then you can't expect him to win without talent.... but just wait til next year when he gets his recruits, except when the recruits don't come it's because facilities.

Endless loop.

The pumping on here references what has already happened. No pumpers are speculating outlandish positives. But you keep projecting pumpers as idiots with heads in the clouds. That's the straw dog claim you return to too often.

Diwun Black is playing in the NJAA championship game this evening. It will broadcast on CBS Sports Network. Maybe we will see some Gator Chomps!! at 6 PM.

Mississippi Gulf Coast, Lackawanna to square off in title game

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don't recall signing many 5* safeties and it seems a couple we did sign were huge disappointments. Give me Amad Black any day!

Reggie Nelson was a 4* per Rivals. I wouldn't mind 2 or 3 of his caliber roaming around back there.

Elam was a 5*. Major Wright was borderline. Was a 5* at first and then fell out barely.

Keanu Neal, Marcus Maye, Nelson, and Marcelo Harris were all top 75 talents I believe.

Chauncey Gardner was ranked as a CB but was always pegged to become a safety. He was borderline 5* as well. I think he missed 5* by only a couple spots. If I recall correctly, he was a five star as well for a while and eventually slid out by a couple spots.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I dont necessarily agree that the OL works fine with EJ on the field.
I dont either, they are not good regardless of scheme run or personnel at qb1. However, they are better with a DT at the qb position and the reason for this is purely blocking scheme. I'm not nearly as Xs and Os as guys like traz or sas but I did play some ball and know a playbook and protections. Here's a very basic breakdown of why they are better with a DT:

The typical protection scheme for a run play that involves some type of play action or play fake includes attempting to block all rushing defenders. The play fake is an attempt to hold or freeze the D for a split second until they determine whether it is a run or a pass. Either way, the line is attempting to block anyone coming in.

The typical protection for a run play in mullen's scheme involves allowing an edge defender to come free. In fact, it almost dares them to come and come hard. Instead of the defense holding or freezing for a second to determine run or pass, they may hold or freeze to determine inside or outside run and which player (qb or rb) is going to be the one keeping. If the free rusher is controlled or plays safe, the qb will give and the ball will go to the RB, away from the free rusher. If the rusher commits, the qb will often keep and sidestep the rusher and if the QBs a real threat to run, is usually out to a decent gain. This threat makes the defense respect the run game enough to play a bit more safe instead of simply crashing in and plugging holes when reading run.

The problem is that mullen ran that same protection despite trask not being a threat to run. The entire defense would simply commit to stopping the back on a run play and instead of us daring them to commit, they were daring the qb to keep because they knew him doing so was advantage defense. At worst it would be a couple yards for them and they know it. We can and did offset some of this by running run/pass play action, but the fact remains, when your run game is predicated around letting a free rusher in to key off of, but your outside key is executed by a guy who isn't a threat to run, its going to cause the run game to bog down.

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Comments on Mullens outfit?

It's a little clunky still, which seems to be the case with most coaches. Apparently there are no tailors who can hem pants anywhere near any campus in America. The insistence in on the exposed white undershirt isn't ideal. But as long as he goes no tie(as he does), it's acceptable attire. The shoes are concerning. But my real worry is that he begins referring to himself in the third person("Jimmy doesn't like misunderstandings").

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
I dont either, they are not good regardless of scheme run or personnel at qb1. However, they are better with a DT at the qb position and the reason for this is purely blocking scheme. I'm not nearly as Xs and Os as guys like traz or sas but I did play some ball and know a playbook and protections. Here's a very basic breakdown of why they are better with a DT:

The typical protection scheme for a run play that involves some type of play action or play fake includes attempting to block all rushing defenders. The play fake is an attempt to hold or freeze the D for a split second until they determine whether it is a run or a pass. Either way, the line is attempting to block anyone coming in.

The typical protection for a run play in mullen's scheme involves allowing an edge defender to come free. In fact, it almost dares them to come and come hard. Instead of the defense holding or freezing for a second to determine run or pass, they may hold or freeze to determine inside or outside run and which player (qb or rb) is going to be the one keeping. If the free rusher is controlled or plays safe, the qb will give and the ball will go to the RB, away from the free rusher. If the rusher commits, the qb will often keep and sidestep the rusher and if the QBs a real threat to run, is usually out to a decent gain. This threat makes the defense respect the run game enough to play a bit more safe instead of simply crashing in and plugging holes when reading run.

The problem is that mullen ran that same protection despite trask not being a threat to run. The entire defense would simply commit to stopping the back on a run play and instead of us daring them to commit, they were daring the qb to keep because they knew him doing so was advantage defense. At worst it would be a couple yards for them and they know it. We can and did offset some of this by running run/pass play action, but the fact remains, when your run game is predicated around letting a free rusher in to key off of, but your outside key is executed by a guy who isn't a threat to run, its going to cause the run game to bog down.

Yeah ... I get all that. But again, its not magic that makes our OL any better. They still are too slow to get to their assignments when we run it. And when they do get to their assignments ... they fail. It isn't as simple as saying the whole problem is because that one edge rusher we let in to dictate the option we take is killing us because we have a pocket passer who can't run. Furthermore, it underlines my original point even more ... our blocking scheme isn't very good and our OL talent isn't either. It really makes my pumper go soft and I am looking at Hevesy as place where it should be fixed.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I dont necessarily agree that the OL works fine with EJ on the field. EJ is only on the field for a short time. Defenses will adjust for him and I am pretty sure our OL will get beat regularly with EJ as well. Its not like they get better when EJ comes in ... they are still slow to get to their missed assignments. EJ is just faster and more elusive.

And to my point that I don't want to hear about EJ ... Franks was our starter this season so when he went down it wasn't like we should be changing our whole scheme to match a pocket QB. Franks was way more pocket than dual is the point. Only thing different between Franks and Trask, ugly facial hair and throwing receivers open. We still continued to run our RBs into the back of our depressing OL. OL scheme isn't an acceptable excuse to the fact they didn't progress at all this season. So is it recruiting OL with wrong/less talent or is Hevesy struggling to coach technique? Either way ... its on Hevesy, right?
Not sure, but given the time frame it takes most OL to be prepared to play, it seems we'd be playing with Mac's FIU leftovers... who not only suck, but were also recruited for a completely different scheme.

Any player Mullen has, is either a transfer or is in only in his 1st or 2nd year of collegiate strength and conditioning. We all know there is the occasional stud freshman and a few sophs.... but common knowledge also, is it takes way more time for those guys to be physically ready than any other position. The guys Mullen has recruited are still very young and raw. Not saying Hev' doesn't need to do a better job. It's pure agonizing to watch us try to run the ball. But there's a reason we were actually able to run the ball last year. Despite not being recruited for this scheme, we had 4 veteran players who are all gone. That's 4 guys who had 4 or 5 years of collegiate strength and conditioning. Despite the joke of a strength program Butters ran. It usually takes time for those guys to mature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.