Gator Baseball 2021 Gators Baseball Season

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Brock Edge was the third, probably due to playing time. Foley, how does recruiting look for next year, I’m sure we have a few recruits that will ultimately end up being drafted, but we also have a “high pick” make it in the class every year. Fingers crossed

To be honest, I have no idea about recruiting. I don;t follow it that closely and really only read about it up until the players have to declare they are returning to or going to college. I just want to play better baseball and I am not so sure that the players or the recruits matter. Something about this coaching staff seems off. We were terrible on defense, we have these upper cut swings and I am at the regionals watching teams like USA putting the ball in play and on the ground. Do we have a "hitting" coach? And we had a couple of highly regarded pitchers like Manning, etc. who never developed. Barco, sans his last start really came on but Sproat has been huge disappointment. Throws hard but when it does not move and makes contact with the barrel it leaves the yard in a hurry. Saw it with my own 2 eyes. Hope that those who do show up in the fall see how much playing time is readily available and come in shape.

dz_23

Rich and Famous
Lifetime Member
Apr 3, 2016
We know Sully is not a small ball coach. I just think too much outside noise this year between preseason hype and personal issues that have been well documented outside this forum. I agree some staff changes may need to happen, but we probably need to let the dust settle a little while longer.

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
We know Sully is not a small ball coach. I just think too much outside noise this year between preseason hype and personal issues that have been well documented outside this forum. I agree some staff changes may need to happen, but we probably need to let the dust settle a little while longer.

What does documented mean in regards to personal issues?

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
I would love to see SOS come out with some statement basically throwing the entire UAA and AD under the bus for being below the Gator standard and basically using Gator athletics for self serving interests instead of working towards the sort of standard we expect.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Article on the future of some Florida baseball players and the prospects for 2022

He's returning, but Kevin O'Sullivan's roster at Florida is undergoing change

If Sully would just get a good hitting coach it would raise the team batting average and teach them how to bunt. Home runs are great but offensive versatility is essential. Being able to execute various offensive strategies when the situation calls for it is good baseball and I would watch it. A game reduced to strike outs, fly outs and home runs isn't worth my time or money.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Article on the future of some Florida baseball players and the prospects for 2022

He's returning, but Kevin O'Sullivan's roster at Florida is undergoing change

If Sully would just get a good hitting coach it would raise the team batting average and teach them how to bunt. Home runs are great but offensive versatility is essential. Being able to execute various offensive strategies when the situation calls for it is good baseball and I would watch it. A game reduced to strike outs, fly outs and home runs isn't worth my time or money.

Perhaps an overhaul of the roster/lineup might prove to be a positive. For some reason when the few of us mention poor fundamental baseball, etc., the masses seem to think we mean small ball. That is not the case. I think it means making productive outs such as a man on 3rd base and less than 2 outs and the opponent concedes the run, just make sure you put the ball on the ground, not an infield pop. It means it looks like they practice a proper bunting stance when asked to bunt (if ever). It means a 1st baseman who looks like he has been coached to play the position. It means hitting the cutoff man. It means understanding baserunning.

I agree about a hitting coach and am not even sure we have one. But I started thinking about when the NCAA reduced roster size, I think we went thru a time when Sully (and others) really tried to recruit 2 way players. Just b/c guys did it and were good at in high school does not mean it will translate. And I think that has been a part of an issue the last few years. Guys like Butler, Milchin, Armstrong and I am sure I am missing others, have not been even average at one or the other. Armstrong has not pitched but I was told he was recruited as such. Butler and Milchin did not really help on the mound and did nothing else to help the team. All of a sudden you have #'s just taking up space. Heck at least Kirby who came as a pitcher and was not good, made himself into a decent pinch hitter and ultimately our 3B. I understand needing a few two way guys, but they can't be below average at both. At least Langworthy was okay in the outfield and plate. There will be plenty of playing time available at every position next year going into the season with the exception of catcher, maybe Rivera at SS (although) I think he is weak and Thompson in RF (needs work out there). Outside of those 3 pitchers that I think we will lose Fabian, Young, Hickey and Armstrong will also be gone. As for the recruits, I can't comment b/c I don;t know any of them or situation and that is a bigger wild card than the current players usually.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Perhaps an overhaul of the roster/lineup might prove to be a positive. For some reason when the few of us mention poor fundamental baseball, etc., the masses seem to think we mean small ball. That is not the case. I think it means making productive outs such as a man on 3rd base and less than 2 outs and the opponent concedes the run, just make sure you put the ball on the ground, not an infield pop. It means it looks like they practice a proper bunting stance when asked to bunt (if ever). It means a 1st baseman who looks like he has been coached to play the position. It means hitting the cutoff man. It means understanding baserunning.

I agree about a hitting coach and am not even sure we have one. But I started thinking about when the NCAA reduced roster size, I think we went thru a time when Sully (and others) really tried to recruit 2 way players. Just b/c guys did it and were good at in high school does not mean it will translate. And I think that has been a part of an issue the last few years. Guys like Butler, Milchin, Armstrong and I am sure I am missing others, have not been even average at one or the other. Armstrong has not pitched but I was told he was recruited as such. Butler and Milchin did not really help on the mound and did nothing else to help the team. All of a sudden you have #'s just taking up space. Heck at least Kirby who came as a pitcher and was not good, made himself into a decent pinch hitter and ultimately our 3B. I understand needing a few two way guys, but they can't be below average at both. At least Langworthy was okay in the outfield and plate. There will be plenty of playing time available at every position next year going into the season with the exception of catcher, maybe Rivera at SS (although) I think he is weak and Thompson in RF (needs work out there). Outside of those 3 pitchers that I think we will lose Fabian, Young, Hickey and Armstrong will also be gone. As for the recruits, I can't comment b/c I don;t know any of them or situation and that is a bigger wild card than the current players usually.

Well said! Sully has been asked if we have a hitting coach on numerous occasions and his standard reply is "all the coaches are hitting coaches" meaning ~ our coaches are generic coaches but no one is hired for the purpose of teaching hitting. In my experience whenever a job is 'everybody's' job, the job doesn't get done half of the time and no one is specifically responsible to make sure it improves.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
I don't know the rules of NCAA baseball and the number of staff allowed but it seems to me that if we are going to spend money on asst coaches they need a pedigree of knowing baseball at an elite level. Not trying to pick on Bell but maybe he would be better somewhere in the baseball ops office and we could use the asst coaching position for someone that brings a speciality. Clearly he is NOT a hitting coach no more than I am with this experience, not at an SEC level.
Craig Bell - Assistant Coach - Staff Directory - Florida Gators

I highlighted part of this quote because it is spot on and the reason why I challenged Jboss to post a quote from any of us saying we want to play small ball and want coaches that teach it, which he of course failed to do because they don't exist. It's just blind loyalty to a staff that is underperforming. I blame the coaches because they recruited the players and my guess is covid saved us from 2 mediocre seasons. Sully has air of arrogance and snobbish behaviour and it does him no favors coupled with lackluster baseball. Recruit some hard, pipe hitting m'fers that don't mind going medieval on the homes and leave the prima donnas off the list.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Looks like Gorilla ball bites #1 Ark who had led the nation in HRs at 108 as they COMPLETELY CRAP the bed vs unranked NC St and their season is now OVER. Ark had been destroying teams ALL season long and looked to be an easy shoe in to the CWS championship series cause they had been blasting teams and had strong pitching all year. They lose 2 straight to NC St in what amounts to TERRIBLE coaching by leaving their star pitcher out on the mound too long and it was his 2nd day in a row pitching. TERRIBLE awareness of the situation by the Ark HC. If Sully done that, he would have been strung up right then and there on the field. Ark also failed to manufacture runs in many blunders by not getting bunts down that would have moved runners into scoring position. Ark with 18 strikeouts these past 2 games as they played a far cry and shell of themselves from the regular season and ALL due to TERRIBLE coaching of the #1 ranked team in the Nation. Wow, just shock and awe and major disappointment by this Ark team.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Looks like Gorilla ball bites #1 Ark who had led the nation in HRs at 108 as they COMPLETELY CRAP the bed vs unranked NC St and their season is now OVER. Ark had been destroying teams ALL season long and looked to be an easy shoe in to the CWS championship series cause they had been blasting teams and had strong pitching all year. They lose 2 straight to NC St in what amounts to TERRIBLE coaching by leaving their star pitcher out on the mound too long and it was his 2nd day in a row pitching. TERRIBLE awareness of the situation by the Ark HC. If Sully done that, he would have been strung up right then and there on the field. Ark also failed to manufacture runs in many blunders by not getting bunts down that would have moved runners into scoring position. Ark with 18 strikeouts these past 2 games as they played a far cry and shell of themselves from the regular season and ALL due to TERRIBLE coaching of the #1 ranked team in the Nation. Wow, just shock and awe and major disappointment by this Ark team.

I can't blame it on the pitching, the last 2 losses are on the offense. I thought I was watching the Gators.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014

You are correct, ARK led the nation in HR's, but on the flip side they also led the nation is base on balls (Walks drawn). So to me that means less gorilla ball and more plate discipline, meaning they know the strike zone. they scored 20 runs in Game 1 and yes lost the next two, done in by some good NCST pitching among a few other things. But that is baseball, the best team does not always win. You seem to take 1 or 2 games and extrapolate over 50+ games. If it occurs over those 50 games then yes, but regarding ARK, I would say winning all 10 series in SEC play speaks more than losing in Game 3 of a super regional. No they won;t be champs but their season overall was pretty darn good.

Last edited:

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah Great season for Ark but to be ranked #1 almost the entire year and to be pretty much penciled in by most experts to the CWS CS and then FAIL against a team they should easily beat as referenced by game 1, is a HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT and is like a 12 seed beating a 1 seed cause Ark was THAT good all year. Can't get that far and then suffer a HUGE letdown like that. If it was our Gators then we would be BLASTING Sully to Mars. We do that anyways but that is typical for us against all our coaches. Our standard here is winning chips and when we don't, its pretty much a BUST in every season, in every sport according to most fans. Gotta win chips or else its all just mediocre Starkvegas baby!

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Wow very surprising to see the Vandy dominant pitching, that they have had for over 10 years now, getting totally ROCKED in the CWSCS. Lost to Cowbell of all people last night 13-2 and now down 5-0 in the 5th after their top 3 draft pick Kumar gets shredded. Same Cowbell team that our Gators Trashed 13-1 in the SECT. Don't give me this it happens crap or they were resting players like FF would say. This is the CWS and you have to man the F up and show the F out and Vandy pitching/coaching has not thus far in this championship series. We will see how the rest of this game plays out and if Vandy can mount a comeback.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Wow what a total destruction by Cowbell of all schools of pitching tradition rich Vandy, holy crap total annilation 9- ZIPPOLO and ONLY 1 hit for Vandy. Cowbell's first NC in any sport for their school. How in the F can this happen?

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Wow what a total destruction by Cowbell of all schools of pitching tradition rich Vandy, holy crap total annilation 9- ZIPPOLO and ONLY 1 hit for Vandy. Cowbell's first NC in any sport for their school. How in the F can this happen?

Aww c'mon man, Its baseball!! I was pulling for state and am happy Vandy didn't win.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator