Gator Baseball 2021 Gators Baseball Season

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Mace selected after the 2nd round in the Competitive Balance portion prior to round 3

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014

I know nothing about this kid, but Guscette was a huge improvement defensively late in the year and he actually put the bat on the ball most of the time. If this new kid can catch at all, it would mean never having to see Hickey behind the plate again should he not like where he gets drafted and returns to UF.

Guess I should edit the above. Hickey drafted in 5th round by Red Sox. Have to think Hickey will sign and similar to JJ Schwarz it was an American League team as Hickey is primarily a DH.

Christian Scott also drafted in 5th round.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Jacob Young drafted in 7th round. Seems a bit high to me but I wish him well. Does not seem like Jack Leftwich is highly regarded. Any chance he comes back to UF with chip on shoulder?

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I know nothing about this kid, but Guscette was a huge improvement defensively late in the year and he actually put the bat on the ball most of the time. If this new kid can catch at all, it would mean never having to see Hickey behind the plate again should he not like where he gets drafted and returns to UF.

Guess I should edit the above. Hickey drafted in 5th round by Red Sox. Have to think Hickey will sign and similar to JJ Schwarz it was an American League team as Hickey is primarily a DH.

Christian Scott also drafted in 5th round.

Glad to see Jacob get drafted

Just for perspective:

David Eckstein ~ Selected by the Boston Red Sox in Round #19 (#581 overall) of the 1997 Amateur Entry Draft

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Leftwich goes to Cleveland in 7th round. Mace also went to Cleveland.

Aleman in the 10th round to Cleveland. I hope they fare better as a 3some with the Indians than they did this past year, LOL

Towels 'N Sporks

We R Bad Cause Urban Cheated on Wife
May 19, 2016
Young really improved in his time here at Florida. If he can consistently make contact I think he could make it to the big league because of his speed.

Fabian has to be disappointed with the 2nd round pick. I'm pretty sure he was projected as a top 10 at the beginning of this year. His cold streaks and strike outs probably killed his status. Our best player on the field for about half the games this year, and then the worst player for the other half.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Great to see UF great Pete Alonso win the HR derby in back to back years. Alonso REALLY developed at UF from year to year under Sully and its great to see him continue that success in the MLB for the first place Mets.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Great to see UF great Pete Alonso win the HR derby in back to back years. Alonso REALLY developed at UF from year to year under Sully and its great to see him continue that success in the MLB for the first place Mets.

I read where he pocketed $1M for that derby, which is about $450k more than he makes in a season.
Good for him. He will make some serious coinage once he becomes a UFA.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Does anyone know what the latest is with Alonzo and the UF baseball program?
The feature story about him last year pulled no punches regarding the resentment Alonzo has for the program, Sully, and several of his former teammates. He mentioned JJ Schwartz in particular. Apparently he was harassed about his girlfriend (now wife) mercilessly, according to him, and that it got so bad that he approached Sully about it and Sully brushed him aside.

The whole thing seemed very childish to me but clearly I wasn’t there and Alonzo continues to harbor bad feelings.
I have not heard anything that suggests that Pete has softened nor have I heard anything about him making any appearances anywhere associated with UF or the baseball program.

Can anyone give me an update?

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Thriving? Lifetime .200 batting avg and .174 the last three years.

Yes, thriving.

He has always been considered one of the best defensive catchers and very good at managing pitchers.
In baseball those two attributes alone makes one a very good catcher. The fact that his timely hitting has arrived this season, and last year’s postseason, equates to thriving currently.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Thriving? Lifetime .200 batting avg and .174 the last three years.

Well, he made the allstar team. I guess that could be one criteria. After hitting the home run last night he then gave up a run the next inning when he let a pitch get by with a man on third base.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Well, he made the allstar team. I guess that could be one criteria. After hitting the home run last night he then gave up a run the next inning when he let a pitch get by with a man on third base.

Keep us posted if you hear anything on Fabian. Since you are in his home area, if you hear anything please post. I know his "official" statement seemed to say he was going to sign, I think part of that was courtesy to the team that drafted him.. That is not to say he won;t sign, b/c as almost always, money will dictate.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keep us posted if you hear anything on Fabian. Since you are in his home area, if you hear anything please post. I know his "official" statement seemed to say he was going to sign, I think part of that was courtesy to the team that drafted him.. That is not to say he won;t sign, b/c as almost always, money will dictate.

Last week the Star Banner and Gainesville Sun ran an article about them both being drafted and signing but I am not a subscriber and could not read the article. I did not read anywhere that his brother Deric had been drafted and that may influence his decision on returning to UF. The family is well off so there is no financial pressure that I am aware of for him to take the money right now. His reasons to return to UF are to play with his brother and to improve his play and his draft status. If I see something I will keep you posted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator