2022 NCAA Pick 'Em Thread: Thanks for playing!

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Just to point out how screwed up ox's spreads are he has Texas A&M giving up 39.5 pints Vegas as it at 8.5. WTF? In addition he has Vandy at 29.5 favorites and Vegas has them as 9 point favorites. Even if you think Vegas is wrong they are never that wrong.
You dipsh!t. I'm not sure what site you are looking at, but if Vegas had Texas A&M at home as only a 8.5 favorite over the SAM HOUSTON BEARKATS I would be betting my entire house and all its contents on it.

Also, Vandy is favored 20 over the ELON PHOENIX, another powerhouse. Vandy will cover that. In fact, I can't believe they are only favored 20, place your bets! Where you get -9, I'd love to know. Send us a link so we can bet some real money.

BOTH OF THESE had no official line at all when I set the picks, so I made them up. FBS vs FCS matchups I usually put as 30 or 40 point spreads.

FINALLY

What difference does it make how "screwed up" my lines are? Wouldn't that make them easier to pick, you little weasel?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Okay, his money has been refunded and he's getting some extended time off. I have no interest in listening to his ridiculous complaints all season.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
Vegas spreads have zero to do with how they think the game will turn out. It only has to do with how they think people will bet. They have to try to get even money on both sides.
Technically that's true, BUT the way people bet does have to do with evolving expectations of how the game will play out. It's basically a consensus or crowd-sourced opinion, based on comparative schemes, talent, injuries, etc. There are a lot of educated bettors out there who do their research over the course of the week.

I haven't seen stats on this but I'd be willing to bet (ha!) that more often than not, the actual outcome vs. the last Vegas betting line(s) is still in question at the start of the 4th quarter.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I dont often side with ox but this is different. Any whine bag crying baby that doesnt like the friggin game go find one elsewhere and quit your friggin crying. Geeze. Nobody forced you to play the game that has been exactly the same for years. Whaaah.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe yall are both right and this is a like a left vs right twix commercial? The odds follow the betting and the betting follows the odds. The betting lines open up and then they start to change based on the betting until there is enough data to converge. I dunno, just throwing it out there...
Vegas ain’t just spitballing and throwing dart to see what sticks. They are beyond remarkable with their spread, O/U & total points. It’s a professional job to be an odds maker. Sure they may miss every once in a while but that’s few and far between. The notion they don’t care or have a clue is laughable.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Vegas ain’t just spitballing and throwing dart to see what sticks. They are beyond remarkable with their spread, O/U & total points. It’s a professional job to be an odds maker. Sure they may miss every once in a while but that’s few and far between. The notion they don’t care or have a clue is laughable.
I totally agree. However, I think once the betting opens what makes all the magic happen is professional algorithms that probably have a lot to do with which way all the bets are going. My point was I think both of you guys are arguing truths that both coexist and are not mutually exclusive but instead are intertwined.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
I totally agree. However, I think once the betting opens what makes all the magic happen is professional algorithms that probably have a lot to do with which way all the bets are going. My point was I think both of you guys are arguing truths that both coexist and are not mutually exclusive but instead are intertwined.
The bottom line is that the degenerate gambler MJMGrand is correct for once. As long as everybody's playing by the same point spread then there's nothing inherently unfair about it.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
The bottom line is that the degenerate gambler MJMGrand is correct for once. As long as everybody's playing by the same point spread then there's nothing inherently unfair about it.
I agree with you but unsure why you are replying to me with it. When Ox set the odds they were pretty close to what was set at the various odds sites had them set. The only difference is Ox isn't changing the odds as we get closer to gameday like vegas odds do in synch with the chips getting pushed in. Its set and you have the ability to change your 'bet' throughout the week. Its very fair. I still dont understand what PC was crying about.

My only thing, which is my thing and if I had the resources to offer my own game then I would make the Gator game each week just a heads up W or L instead of using a spread. I just dont want to bet against my team, especially if its because even though I think they would win a game I might not always think they will cover the spread. Puts me in a bad mood having to bet against them. But...dems the rulez and it isn't unfair.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
If you think Ox’s point spread are too far out of wack.
just adjust you pick accordingly.
Yeah, people should be aware that Ox Fuchses with some of the lines a little bit. So you shouldn't necessarily assume that a team favored by 39.5 points is "really" favored by that much, according to the consensus out of Vegas. But he has fully disclosed that he does that, so everyone is on notice to not assume anything.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Several of the games each week don't have any lines out yet when I'm setting up the picks, either because it's FBS vs FCS or there's an unknown injury situation or something. In those cases I do my best to come up with an appropriate spread.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Several of the games each week don't have any lines out yet when I'm setting up the picks, either because it's FBS vs FCS or there's an unknown injury situation or something. In those cases I do my best to come up with an appropriate spread.
Then those games shouldn’t be part of your Pick’em OR you announce they’ve been updated when they do come out with an actual line. Simple.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Then those games shouldn’t be part of your Pick’em OR you announce they’ve been updated when they do come out with an actual line. Simple.
Are you effing serious? Are we still on this stupid topic? Ridiculous.

Just make your effing picks.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
This may be the last year for Pick 'Em. I put too much work into it to deal with this utter nonsense. Whatever little patience I had is gone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator