Recruiting 2022 Recruiting Thread: Evers and CJ Smith Decommit

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Jim Harbaugh is actually having a good year, only losing a close one to Mich State. He was grossly over paid when they signed him, but he was hyped up coming from the NFL, former player, and hopeful savior. They've had a couple of good seasons, but at this point he's similar to Richt at UGA. I wonder how much longer they'll stick with him, especially if he doesn't beat Ohio State soon.

He is having a good year this year... but he took the pay cut after last season, from approximately 8.5 to 4,444,444 a year and reduced his buy out to 4,444,444.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
He is having a good year this year... but he took the pay cut after last season, from approximately 8.5 to 4,444,444 a year and reduced his buy out to 4,444,444.

That was a great move for Michigan - and Harbaugh has enough money that it's not an issue for him either. Now, the question is similar to ours - should they have just cut the cord and delay the inevitable? Or will this work out? Again, although he's never won a B10 title, he's similar to their Richt at this point.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That was a great move for Michigan - and Harbaugh has enough money that it's not an issue for him either. Now, the question is similar to ours - should they have just cut the cord and delay the inevitable? Or will this work out? Again, although he's never won a B10 title, he's similar to their Richt at this point.

I agree on the Richt comparison completely.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

footballscoop is saying that Frost took a $1 million pay cut and reduced his buyout in half (so it's now $10 million) and they have almost $3 million to replace the 4 assistants they just fired.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Jim Harbaugh is actually having a good year, only losing a close one to Mich State. He was grossly over paid when they signed him, but he was hyped up coming from the NFL, former player, and hopeful savior. They've had a couple of good seasons, but at this point he's similar to Richt at UGA. I wonder how much longer they'll stick with him, especially if he doesn't beat Ohio State soon.

One of Nebraska's analysts that will take over for the fired OL coach is Frank Verducci -
Frank Verducci - Senior Offensive Analyst - Football Coaches - University of Nebraska
Assistant
this is what you get when you're shopping for someone for a short-term (December through October) contract.

Frankly it's where we shop all the time anyway, preferably someone who just got fired elsewhere so the last team is paying most of the salary.

Last edited:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
footballscoop is saying that Frost took a $1 million pay cut and reduced his buyout in half (so it's now $10 million) and they have almost $3 million to replace the 4 assistants they just fired.

Still smart on both sides, favorite son gets a chance to correct himself, and gives the new leadership a year to search for his replacement if it doesn't work.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Let’s start with the disaster that has become the Dan Mullen era in Gainesville. Not only is Mullen unexpectedly on a very hot seat after a 4-5 start this season and recent bad loss to South Carolina, but he finally fired defensive coordinator Todd Grantham. That’s a good thing, right? Well no, because it should have happened a couple of years ago and at the very least at the end of last season.
Nice brand rescue Dan. Even last year when mullen was awarded the undeserved raise it was clear he was not making necessary staff decisions. What in the hell is nimrod Stricklin's excuse for that? By the time mullenz is finally fired it will be $4.5 million we could have saved. Was dummy Stricklin unaware the University had lost a ton of revenue during Covid and that the precedent had been set to negotiate lower coach pay? How about performance payouts? I wouldn't be surprised if Harbaugh and mullenz have the same agent and Stricklin made an azz out of himself and UF's financial wherewithal.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
IF it is true that Administration does not or will not support a staff that wants to recruit and win then absent a ridiculous amount of guaranteed money no potentially great HC will take the job. I don't believe Administration won't support success. How would we know that? Why wouldn't they?

We know musschump didn't want to recruit offense because his ego wanted to transform the team into a low scoring defensive juggernaut. But the likelihood that Administration is afraid to build a winning football team because it would take focus and awareness away from UF's academic standing is moronic.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
if Mullen is fired after the 2022 season. But, unlike what Frost just did, I highly doubt Mullen would restructure his contract (i.e. take a pay cut, lower the buyout).
Of course not. Strickliin should have to answer for it though... if he's still here.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
So far both Frost and Jim Harbaugh, were smart enough to take paycuts due to performance... ours takes a raise.
They were forced to. "This is what we will give you because under your watch revenue has been devastated". I doubt mullen and his agent had to fight for it. Dumbazz Stricklin must have offered it and I seriously doubt his bosses are happy about it. That $1.5 million should have been put to something that makes the team better, like recruiting, equipment, better food.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
They were forced to. "This is what we will give you because under your watch revenue has been devastated". I doubt mullen and his agent had to fight for it. Dumbazz Stricklin must have offered it and I seriously doubt his bosses are happy about it. That $1.5 million should have been put to something that makes the team better, like recruiting, equipment, better food.

Forced to, but it all comes back to leadership, there AD's have it, ours doesn't. And if given the option what to do you think ole Disco Dan would do?

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Forced to, but it all comes back to leadership, there AD's have it, ours doesn't. And if given the option what to do you think ole Disco Dan would do?
I know this is naive but he could have taken part of it, awarded his assistants some of it(I realize they all should be fired but...) and had Administration do something immediate for the team- no, I don't know what that should be.

mullen will never be a Gator. I bet Spurrier thinks he's a moron.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Seeing the results, and that a lot of coaches contracts are very inflated by "market bears this", I hope schools start to say no and things normalize some.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Seeing the results, and that a lot of coaches contracts are very inflated by "market bears this", I hope schools start to say no and things normalize some.

I agree, but....Jimmy Sexton. The problem is most of the time the school doing the hiring is desperate, especially the bigger/blue blood types. Miss State hired Moorehead for something like $2mil/year and a very low buyout. Ole Miss gave Matt Luke a huge buyout ($17 million), but had a lower salary. Missouri gave Odom around $2.4mil/year with a low buyout. Ole Miss & Miss State paid well for Kiffin & Leach. Missouri had to buyout Appalachian State after Drinkwitz had been there for just one year - and paid him $4mil.

Odom's buyout was less than $3mil: Missouri Fires Football Coach Barry Odom, Buyout Is Less Than $3 Million

Matt Luke $17 million: After firing Matt Luke too soon, Ole Miss has a real mess on its hands

Moorhead was $7 mil, negotiated down to $4mil: Mississippi State Fires Head Coach Joe Moorhead

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
The buyouts are ridiculous, in general. There should be a coaches portal..lol. Level the field, have every school afraid the coach will bolt like the players.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Frank Verducci - Senior Offensive Analyst - Football Coaches - University of Nebraska

Coaching Experience
2018-20: Nebraska, Senior Offensive Analyst
2017: UCF, Offensive Analyst
2016: UConn, Offensive Coordinator/Running Backs
2015: UConn, Offensive Coordinator/Tight Ends
2014: Northern Iowa, Assistant Coach (Tight Ends/Offensive Tackles)

2013: Montreal Alouettes (CFL), Assistant Coach (Offensive Line)
2011: Florida, Assistant Coach (Offensive Line/Run Game Coordinator)
2010: St. Louis Rams, Personnel/Advance Scout
2009: Notre Dame, Assistant Coach (Offensive Line/Run Game Coordinator)
2007-08: Cleveland Browns, Offensive Assistant
2005: Buffalo Bills, Assistant Coach (Offensive Line)
2004: Buffalo Bills, Assistant Coach (Tight Ends/Assistant Offensive Line)
2002: Dallas Cowboys, Assistant Coach (Offensive Line)
2001: Cincinnati Bengals, Assistant Coach (Tight Ends/Assistant Offensive Line)
1999-2000: Cincinnati Bengals, Assistant Coach (Tight Ends)

1995-98: Iowa, Assistant Coach (Offensive Line/Running Game Coordinator)
1992-94: Iowa, Assistant Coach (Offensive Line)
1989-91: Iowa, Assistant Coach (Assistant Offensive Line/Recruiting Coordinator)
1987-88: Northwestern, Assistant Coach (Wide Receivers)
1985-86: Iowa, Graduate Assistant
1984: Northern Illinois, Assistant Coach (Running Backs/Strength & Conditioning)
1981-83: Maryland, Assistant Coach (Tight Ends)
1980: Colorado State, Graduate Assistant

This guy has seen his fair share of losing,

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Not 2022 but expect our top commit in 2023 to bounce soon…Cottrell. Also our highly ranked RB commit from 2023 visited uga recently and from all accounts was blown away. Buckle up Dan is gonna sink this ship so bad our next coach may not even be able to recover

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Not 2022 but expect our top commit in 2023 to bounce soon…Cottrell. Also our highly ranked RB commit from 2023 visited uga recently and from all accounts was blown away. Buckle up Dan is gonna sink this ship so bad our next coach may not even be able to recover

Remember when people were claiming that Butters was going to leave a mess no coach would be able to compete in the next 6 years.... That was only 3 recruiting classes, Mullen is working on his 5th recruiting class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator