Gator Baseball 2023 Gator Baseball Thread- CWS Bound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
In total the staff only walked 1 and only hit one batter, so much improvement. Nesbitt was not as sharp as last week, but UNF is not a terrible team, but he did not have his A stuff. I like Jameson, but he just can't seem to get outs, but in fairness he walked no one so that bothers me less. He just can't quite locate when needed. It is not as frustrating watching the other team get hits as opposed to walking around the bases without swinging.

Looks like it is going to be the 3 starters from here on out and a bullpen of Slater, Fic, Fisher, Abner and Neely, barring a blowout game. Midweek game will be a potpourri of the hopefuls. The wildcard will be Coppola if he comes back. I am sure Sully will pitch him midweek if healthy just to see what he has before throwing him to the weekend wolves out of the bullpen, if his arm is healthy and his pitching stuff can measure up.

Rather see the little lefty playing left field this weekend. Fabian looks uncomfortable out there and of course Evans dropped another routine fly that would have ended the game.
Yeah, sounds right, I would add Hartzog to that middle inning group too. Knowing Sully's tendencies I doubt we have seen the last of Purnell much to our dislike. Having the Noles as our mid-week games over the next month makes it imperative for the remainder to provide some quality innings. WTF is wrong with Coppola? Long stint disabled.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Yeah, sounds right, I would add Hartzog to that middle inning group too. Knowing Sully's tendencies I doubt we have seen the last of Purnell much to our dislike. Having the Noles as our mid-week games over the next month makes it imperative for the remainder to provide some quality innings. WTF is wrong with Coppola? Long stint disabled.
Made one appearance last year as a frosh and I think it was a Sunday start. Looked pretty good and came out with I think a back injury. Well never heard anything after that and has not pitched again. Word has been he should be coming back soon, so he would make for a decent starter against the CLOWNS midweek b/c we normally just pitch our leftovers midweek.

OBG

Lifetime Member
Nov 14, 2017
First game I've watched this season. Sproat with a gem, complete game shutout giving up one hit with 11 Ks. Gators beat the Tide 3-0

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
WOW, Brandon Sproat owned opening night in the SEC. Complete game 1 hit shutout. Just blew them away. We get 3 timely hits turn it into the 3 runs we need. Excellent!

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I was at the game. First 2 innings Sproat was his usual wild-ish self, and then BOOM he found something and the switch was flipped. He was terrific.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
One of the best baseball games I have ever seen. Sproat pitched an absolute gem throwing less than 12 pitches per inning (11.78) and Rivera, Halter, Robertson, Kurland, etc. made some unbelievable web-gem defensive plays. The game was one hour and fifty minutes long. It is only one game but I am loving it while it lasts.

As a bonus we also had great seats.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Game 1 3:30 today. Game 2 will folllow. Long day at the park today but plenty of rest for the starters before going to Ole Piss next week,

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
I believe it is 9, but of course it could be less by pulling out the whoompin stick and run ruling them :thug2:
My only concern is this has Cags on only 4 days rest. I suspect Sully will want to be cautious with him and get him out after 70 something pitches. Hope Waldrep can go deep into game 1/

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
My only concern is this has Cags on only 4 days rest. I suspect Sully will want to be cautious with him and get him out after 70 something pitches. Hope Waldrep can go deep into game 1/
Understood but Cags only threw 60 or so pitches last week as Sully was cautious with all 3 given it was a short week and Siena sucked. I concur that Cags has the shortest leash but we have plenty of arms for today. Just keep the walks and HBP's down and I will live with the results. Halter was really good defensively last night as was Rivera, so let your defense help you out.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Nice comeback. Wind was blowing hard. Helped both teams. Kept fighting back despite so so pitching. Our pitching was just enough but every time we walked or hit a guy in an inning it haunted us. We have plenty of arms, just not sure we have enough good arms in the bullpen. Hope Cags can find his bat but maybe with Langford out it is hurting him a bit

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Did not get to watch every inning and much of what I watched I was distracted by festivities. Three observations 1) Robertson may be very fast but he is not a heady baserunner, too many unforced mistakes for a guy who has been playing for top programs for so long. 2) Ty Evans is more liability than asset hitting in the heart of the order, his strikeouts are maddening. It makes little sense to have him hitting behind Riopelle as the two lead the team in SO's. Move Halter up to six and Evans down a notch or two. 3) Not having Langford is a huge hole and I believe not having Heyman is another hole in the lineup, he was stroking the ball well in his opportunities and we need him back, the lack of run production this weekend makes these cases.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Well the games were competitive but UF is beginning to exhibit many of the qualities that has plagued them recently. Way too many pop ups and K's. Yes I know the game is played differently but zero stress on the defense is not a good recipe. As mentioned Robertson leaving 1st base on that dropped 3rd strike was killer for Uncle Mo. You have to know the rules with less than 2 outs.

Both starters on Friday were sub par relative to what will be needed going forward. Waldrop took a step beck and walking the first 2 hitters he saw was not a good omen. Thankfully the Bama coach chose NOT to use his closer in Game 2. Had he we might not have won that series. That dude is legit. Big difference between him as a closer and Neely. Different ways to skin a cat I guess.

Need Langford in a big way. As the opposing pitching only gets tougher going forward.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
yeah what i saw this weekend was a lot of pop ups and fly outs or home runs and not much in between. its either over the fence or an easy out. very few guys on base early in the inning. seemed like when we did get a guy or 2 on it was with 2 outs and then followed that up with a strike out to end the inning the same way we started it. yea, the team can hit some bombs but weve had good HR power for years. id trade all that to just be able to put the bat on the ball and get on base consistently. its looking more like feast or famine with this team, just like every other year the past 10.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
@FireFoley and @Durty South Swamp

Great observations! The big hitters with few exceptions disappear under pressure by drubbing hits into the dirt or striking out if they don't pop out. The occasional HR with a guy on base is not a winning strategy but that is where we have been for over 10 years. They are all swinging like Jud Fabian which is a strategy based on luck and rainbows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.