Gator Baseball 2023 Gator Baseball Thread- CWS Bound

Status
Not open for further replies.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I just have to ask (see my post regarding gasoline on anthills), how many successful bunts have you seen in all of college baseball this year? When I played LL, PL and HS ball, we practiced laying down a bunt almost as much as swinging at the pitch. Now I personally never got on base by bunting because I ran a 10.0 50 but I have advanced runners. I may have seen one bunt that worked this year.
Put us both in the hundred yard dash and you would smoke me. I played catcher or first base. I did get on base with a bunt once. Catcher picked it up and lost the handle.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I just have to ask (see my post regarding gasoline on anthills), how many successful bunts have you seen in all of college baseball this year? When I played LL, PL and HS ball, we practiced laying down a bunt almost as much as swinging at the pitch. Now I personally never got on base by bunting because I ran a 10.0 50 but I have advanced runners. I may have seen one bunt that worked this year.
There's been multiple in this round of the WS alone. And most of them work. We are an embarrassment with it.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Not sure about that. Most of us keyboard coaches said this team was a contender on paper early on in the year. We just continue to question certain in game moves that do not tend to work out at the time. the result of the game might but the thought behind the change does not always work out.
Mannnn.... this gets OLD.

So Robertson was benched because while a better fielder, he was like 0 for 27 at the plate. Today, Langford got a hit, then was driven in by Rivera's HR. Yes, he blew the catch in the 8th because he was afraid of the wall. Then, Sully puts Robertson in as a pinch runner, he gets the go ahead run, and the great catch in the field. On top of that, all the pitching decisions today worked.

You questioned EVERY in game move, and yet (pun intended), they ALL worked out. Now you can say the pitching moves were made up for on players talent alone, but you cannot say that talent had anything to do with the CF outcome... those were coaching decisions about which player to have in and when.

It... gets... OLD.

But don't worry, PUHHHHHHH-lenty of baseball yet to say "SEE!?!?!?!?"

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Mannnn.... this gets OLD.

So Robertson was benched because while a better fielder, he was like 0 for 27 at the plate. Today, Langford got a hit, then was driven in by Rivera's HR. Yes, he blew the catch in the 8th because he was afraid of the wall. Then, Sully puts Robertson in as a pinch runner, he gets the go ahead run, and the great catch in the field. On top of that, all the pitching decisions today worked.

You questioned EVERY in game move, and yet (pun intended), they ALL worked out. Now you can say the pitching moves were made up for on players talent alone, but you cannot say that talent had anything to do with the CF outcome... those were coaching decisions about which player to have in and when.

It... gets... OLD.

But don't worry, PUHHHHHHH-lenty of baseball yet to say "SEE!?!?!?!?"
I question our bunting failures. We don't coach it and can't do it, so why in the biggest moments do we call it knowing we will screw it up royally which always and I do mean always happens. Either coach it up in the off-season and get them proficient with it or just swing the bat. That and always teeing up the long ball instead of just putting it in play are my issues with sully, and they are consistent whether we win or lose. Earlier in the year we were doing better about simply putting it in play but post season games have seen a return to feast or famine ball. So far it's worked out but the stats say it won't last. We need to put the ball in play in the next round.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I question our bunting failures. We don't coach it and can't do it, so why in the biggest moments do we call it knowing we will screw it up royally which always and I do mean always happens. Either coach it up in the off-season and get them proficient with it or just swing the bat. That and always teeing up the long ball instead of just putting it in play are my issues with sully, and they are consistent whether we win or lose. Earlier in the year we were doing better about simply putting it in play but post season games have seen a return to feast or famine ball. So far it's worked out but the stats say it won't last. We need to put the ball in play in the next round.
I agree... and I agreed when err'body was saying that like 10 games ago... and yet... :lol:

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
In the championship series in Omaha. He has been to Omaha 8 out of 15 yrs. This is why he coaches UF and the locals dont............
Mullen, muschamp and macelwain coached at UF too.

A male gynecologist has never birthed a baby (contrary to your political party's belief) but that doesn't mean he's not an expert at it.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014

Agreed!! I posted the question a dozen times this year and over a hundred times since Sully has been here. If you don't teach bunting and you don't practice bunting then don't call for players to bunt!!! Sully has been here long enough and gets paid enough to get a clue but he hasn't.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
3 and 0 , wasn’t pretty but pitching wise should be really fresh for the playoff.
hope corndogs at least take one from wake tonight and go deep into both teams pitching

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I agree... and I agreed when err'body was saying that like 10 games ago... and yet... :lol:
After today's 9th inning debacle I'll say it again. A disastrous bunt attempt and the winning run happening to be on a bottom of the order ground ball in play seem to enforce my position :grin:

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Your scenario is wrong. Langford scored on Rivera's HR not Shelnut. If Robertson was in CF Langford would be in LF.
Right... and if Shelnut wasn't in, who hits his double in the 9th? Who would Robertson pinch run for?

So dumb man... enjoy the f'ng WIN... the EIGHTH ONE IN A ROW... the SIXTEENTH in the last NINETEEN! ;)

Isn't that the beauty of "what if'ing" and BS analysis? We like to think that changing ONE thing would not therefore change everything thereafter... bottom line, what decisions WERE made and what DID happen resulted in yet another win...

Somehow, with the myriad of absolute garbage schithead decisions by Sully, we have now won 8 straight games against top talent and I guess "good coaches" (certainly better than Sully) and 16 out of the last 19.

But sure, when we blow the last two... you'll all be vindicated!

Last edited:

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Isn't that the beauty of "what if'ing" and BS analysis? We like to think that changing ONE thing would not therefore change everything thereafter... bottom line, what decision WERE made and what DID happen resulted in yet another win...

Somehow, with the myriad of absolute garbage schithead decisions by Sully, we have now won 8 straight games against top talent and I guess "good coaches" (certainly better than Sully) and 16 out of the last 19.

But sure, when we blow the last two... you'll all be vindicated!

You either didn't read my post or you did not understand it. If Robertson was in, we would not the need the run in the 9th. I couldn't care less about vindication, its just very aggravating when a coach being paid as much as Sully refuses to teach, practice and implement measures (bunting and defensive personnel) that increase the likelihood of winning games.

We gave up runs in previous games because Shelnut can't play LF and Langford can't play CF. We left numerous runs on the field because we can't bunt, don't advance runners and hit into double plays. It's not rocket science or brain surgery.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
You either didn't read my post or you did not understand it. If Robertson was in, we would not the need the run in the 9th. I couldn't care less about vindication, its just very aggravating when a coach being paid as much as Sully refuses to teach, practice and implement measures (bunting and defensive personnel) that increase the likelihood of winning games.

We gave up runs in previous games because Shelnut can't play LF and Langford can't play CF. We left numerous runs on the field because we can't bunt, don't advance runners and hit into double plays. It's not rocket science or brain surgery.
I both read, and understood, your post. I get that you like to assume that had Robertson been in, EVERYTHING else in the game would have been exactly the same... must be nice in fantasy land... I'll stay in the land of reality, where we just won our 8th game in a row and 16th out of 19.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Not sure about that. Most of us keyboard coaches said this team was a contender on paper early on in the year. We just continue to question certain in game moves that do not tend to work out at the time. the result of the game might but the thought behind the change does not always work out.
2 teams playing....... nothing every works out perfectly as planned....

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
After today's 9th inning debacle I'll say it again. A disastrous bunt attempt and the winning run happening to be on a bottom of the order ground ball in play seem to enforce my position :grin:
As of the other day (maybe 2 games ago), an announcer said that our 1-4 had gone a collective 4 for 33 so far... so the bottom of our order producing isn't that novel as of late.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator