Recruiting 2023 Recruiting Thread: 4* OT Caden Jones completes the class

Saulgoodman

Sep 26, 2019
If that is true, then I would expect Napier to be gone in 3 to 4 years in a similar fashion as Dips$hit Dan. Maybe he doesn't make himself look like as big of an A-hole, but it will be clear that he is ready to leave. All the talk after he took the job was that he laid out his requirements, and all of those were met. Aka, Napier was going to be able to do things his way without being held back by administration.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Always thought UF admin was the most risk adverse (governed scared) of any group I ever worked with. Guess things haven’t changed much.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
sigh

who knows what really was going on behind the curtains

I’d be a lot more ok with it if we have other, equal options we’re immediately pivoting to. I get that there will be cases like this, but we can’t be caught flatfooted. And to me, that’s how this appears. A highly rated bump class appears to be all but shot if we can’t bring in a top flight QB.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
If that is true, then I would expect Napier to be gone in 3 to 4 years in a similar fashion as Dips$hit Dan. Maybe he doesn't make himself look like as big of an A-hole, but it will be clear that he is ready to leave. All the talk after he took the job was that he laid out his requirements, and all of those were met. Aka, Napier was going to be able to do things his way without being held back by administration.
Or possibly being at a competitive disadvantage by the Florida NIL law which was rushed into place and is more restrictive than other States.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
I’d be a lot more ok with it if we have other, equal options we’re immediately pivoting to. I get that there will be cases like this, but we can’t be caught flatfooted. And to me, that’s how this appears. A highly rated bump class appears to be all but shot if we can’t bring in a top flight QB.
It is troubling and so much mis/disinformation out there I dont think Im going to make any opinions about it until I see the class, but it is still troubling. The benchmark on this class for me is still around Sept (or when we got around 15 commits). Since we are going to be taking 30, I really don't think we are anywhere near the 'all but shot' point. But we are entering into the no contact period with no momentum.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
It is troubling and so much mis/disinformation out there I dont think Im going to make any opinions about it until I see the class, but it is still troubling. The benchmark on this class for me is still around Sept (or when we got around 15 commits). Since we are going to be taking 30, I really don't think we are anywhere near the 'all but shot' point. But we are entering into the no contact period with no momentum.

I agree on the momentum. Feels like we had several months of really positive signs, tweets from players or their families and tons of indications that certain players were huge leans that could announce any time. Then it just stopped. And, as much as I get the mindset of not panicking so early, that’s where I think the concept of momentum and perception is missed. As I’ve said, this is sales. In addition to NIL, there is a desire in players to go to places that appear to be popular destinations. Exactly why I credited this kid for his decision now, so he can help build a class. Wish it was ours but my commendation stands. You don’t make up all the ground late in the game. So all the, “it’s early” talk is technically true, the long stretches of silence absolutely have hurt. As has our inability to close on some of the names we felt we had who have now committed elsewhere or have seemingly cooled on us. Again, we can blame many things, and there may be some validity in some of that, but we’re not closing and that has to be addressed or this will be an annual occurrence.

Last edited:

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015
Or possibly being at a competitive disadvantage by the Florida NIL law which was rushed into place and is more restrictive than other States.
Yeah, it really seems to be holding Mario and Miami back as well.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Always thought UF admin was the most risk adverse (governed scared) of any group I ever worked with. Guess things haven’t changed much.
Exactly...and they don't cater to any student's needs....UPD, financial aid, parking.. sux to be you.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Yeah, it really seems to be holding Mario and Miami back as well.
This is an interesting piece on the things being done at different in-State schools. It looks like the U is trying to get a little to a lot of participants. Maybe, they are just better at "pay for play", wink, wink than UF. I do know the difference between the rules in Florida vs Texas are an issue.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
“Scared money don’t make money” couldn’t be further from how our admin operates if it wanted to be :lol:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Pretty sure I understood what you said. The gist of it was offer more money no matter what and tell recruits they can't go anywhere else on visits or the offer is void. Im was disagreeing with you and telling you why.
Not exactly that. I'm saying in a scenario where you obviously made a strong offer, don't let guys run down to Miami and leverage it for a bigger offer. This is the 2nd time this has happened this cycle. I'm not saying we have to be the highest bidder on every recruit. That's not my point.

As far as my comment about it stinging more with having a qb committed already. I was alluding to most qb's want to be the only qb in a team's recruiting class. Has nothing to do with how good their other recruit is or our qb room .

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
The U's QB room is much deeper than UF...I still don't get this....Rashada would have maybe 2 to challenge in 23? SEC vs ACC? New facilities?

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Not exactly that. I'm saying in a scenario where you obviously made a strong offer, don't let guys run down to Miami and leverage it for a bigger offer. This is the 2nd time this has happened this cycle. I'm not saying we have to be the highest bidder on every recruit. That's not my point.

As far as my comment about it stinging more with having a qb committed already. I was alluding to most qb's want to be the only qb in a team's recruiting class. Has nothing to do with how good their other recruit is or our qb room .

I don't think it's that. He plays 7v7 in Miami. He said it's more like CA to him. He likes it. His dad said UF. If it were just $$$ I think he'd go to aTm...they are flush.

Again...With our/UF's situation...the upside in G'ville is huge but we're talking HS boys...South Beach and living large.

And what do I know...I'm an old fart and live in the corndog State

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator