Recruiting 2023 Recruiting Thread: 4* OT Caden Jones completes the class

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I don't see Napier saving the class unless they've just been slow playing some contracts.
He needs a big get even if it means a big contract. For no other reason then to let the world know we're going to compete in the new world of NIL. Otherwise Nape's plan is no different than Mullenz.

P.S. Maybe plan is different but results will be the same.

P.S.S.Time to start spending that scared money.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
I don't see Napier saving the class unless they've just been slow playing some contracts.
He needs a big get even if it means a big contract. For no other reason then to let the world know we're going to compete in the new world of NIL. Otherwise Nape's plan is no different than Mullenz.

Again...what do we do?
If Napier ain't it?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

According to some threads that I’ve seen on other sites, it’s not a Napier issue. It’s a booster issue. Somebody referred to the issue a couple posts above. Boosters basically aren’t giving money to the Gator guard. They only have 3M in GG.

I think the collective is only for enrolled athletes. NIL opportunities for them.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
According to some threads that I’ve seen on other sites, it’s not a Napier issue. It’s a booster issue. Somebody referred to the issue a couple posts above. Boosters basically aren’t giving money to the Gator guard. They only have 3M in GG.

I think the collective is only for enrolled athletes. NIL opportunities for them.
If that’s the case the people calling for Napiers head need to shut up and put up.
no matter who the coach is you gotta have money in this day and age.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
If that’s the case the people calling for Napiers head need to shut up and put up.
no matter who the coach is you gotta have money in this day and age.

I think this is again where NiL benefits a select group of teams. Using uga as an example, while they may have had some compensation of Richt they had to deal with, for the most part they have enjoyed five plus years of success with a head coach paid well under the top numbers. So when they, for instance, go to boosters and ask for more money, it’s probably the easiest pitch on the planet right now. In contrast, a school like UF has squandered so much money over the past decade, and then was asked to make a major investment/buyout less than a year ago. You can’t really blame the reservation and or unwillingness to continue coughing money up, especially with the current product being a relative unknown. I think Napier is going to have to work with the hand he was dealt and make it work on the field to prove this wouldn’t be more of the same. It sucks that a guy like smart was gifted a much better situation, but it’s what it is.

Saulgoodman

Sep 26, 2019
This guy. On one hand, he is saying what probably should be said to see if anyone is going to do something about it. On the other hand, nobody is probably going to do anything about it and the only thing he is accomplishing is running the good players off because they know we ain't going to pay them. I think that pretty much sums up where we stand imo.

I bet all the top players (most already are) are beating Caspino's door down to get his services now. Thanks Heitner.

I thought you were bragging about how he was giving ol caspino the business for everyone to see?

Seem to have changed your tune now

Saulgoodman

Sep 26, 2019
Usually my response to hiring a game day coach would be that we are just accepting mediocrity but we have tried almost everything at this point except for throwing an offer at a proven top tier he can't turn down. But we all know we won't be spending big bucks on football. We're already at mediocrity. Why not see what somebody like a Gundy, Arranda, Fickell, Mike Peterson out of retirement maybe.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Why not at least let him play a season?
jim carrey lloyd GIF by Dumb and Dumber To

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
This won't be a popular take, but I really don't want anyone to have to cough up millions of dollars for high school kids. I don't blame the boosters. Its ridiculous. I want the top recruits as much as anybody, but not one of them are worth millions. Does that result in us staying 8-4/9-3ish for eternity? Maybe so, but I'll be damned if I'm going to throw big money at any high school kid.

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
I think this is again where NiL benefits a select group of teams. Using uga as an example, while they may have had some compensation of Richt they had to deal with, for the most part they have enjoyed five plus years of success with a head coach paid well under the top numbers. So when they, for instance, go to boosters and ask for more money, it’s probably the easiest pitch on the planet right now. In contrast, a school like UF has squandered so much money over the past decade, and then was asked to make a major investment/buyout less than a year ago. You can’t really blame the reservation and or unwillingness to continue coughing money up, especially with the current product being a relative unknown. I think Napier is going to have to work with the hand he was dealt and make it work on the field to prove this wouldn’t be more of the same. It sucks that a guy like smart was gifted a much better situation, but it’s what it is.

When was the last time Texas or A&M was relevant? Yet they have no problem putting up literally 100s of millions of $$$.

Saulgoodman

Sep 26, 2019
When was the last time Texas or A&M was relevant? Yet they have no problem putting up literally 100s of millions of $$$.
Texas was last relevant in 09 (Same as us by the way). A&M never has been. Also, they both have Texas oil money. They care about football, where we have been to the mountain top and seem to be content with just having been there.

But we will beat everybody's A$$ in a spelling bee or academic competition.

Last edited:

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
I believe Napier was 100% ready for the Big Time. Unfortunately what he left behind at Ls.and what he has at Fl is two different animals. It’s hard to fathom that the landscape of college football has changed this much in one year but it has.
Napier said it best last week “we have to figure out this NIL stuff” If the money isn’t there to keep up with the guys that are spending the money, the outcome for the Gators will be average recruting classes .
I don’t care who the Coach is right now it’s a money game or a real chit show for those that don’t have the money to spend on recruits.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Lol well I was really just effin around because I've beat the Gundy drum to death. But seriously. The young coaches I'll have my eye on the next few years to see how they progress would be jeff lebby, zach kittley, my boy Brian Johnson, and your boy Charles Huff. Not that I think Napier's gonna bomb here, I'm just a nerd like that.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Texas was last relevant in 09 (Same as us by the way). A&M never has been. Also, they both have Texas oil money. They care about football, where we have been to the mountain top and seem to be content with just having been there.

But we will beat everybody's A$$ in a spelling bee or academic competition.
Which BTW is the entire point of higher ed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator