Recruiting 2023 Recruiting Thread: 4* OT Caden Jones completes the class

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018

That doesn't seem like it would be too difficult.

Gillian Anderson Eye Roll GIF by Ovation TV

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
You guys really think these commits are going to leave because of losses this year?
Quite the opposite. Think more see a need and they will feel that they can contribute immediately.

Whittemore case seems more like a butthurt for his Bro. Probably UF extended to him because of his bro.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah. None of that’s true. Read the interviews. Opportunity means a lot. Even at a place like Alabama. If the coaches can sell opportunity even against other elite athletes, it means a lot.

These DL that are coming on board are all saying the same thing. They are licking their chops at the opportunity.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Quite the opposite. Think more see a need and they will feel that they can contribute immediately.

Whittemore case seems more like a butthurt for his Bro. Probably UF extended to him because of his bro.
Wouldn’t be surprised to see his big bro transfer and join him. He’s not getting much in the way of opportunities this year. He has a whopping 4 catches this year and none in the last two games.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
Nah, ask him...loaded with NFL talent back there. :lol:
OK, let's just ASSUME "stars don't matter" in recruiting AND the previous staff sucked at talent evaluation. Both are silly in the long run, but work with me here.

Is there ANY scenario where we go into this season thinking, after game seven, we are the absolute WORST team in 3rd down efficiency,? It is, simply, unthinkable.

I get that the kids may not fit the new system. I get that there are some who where over rated. But damn, it is on the coaches to get the best out of what they have. And we are getting the worst...literally.

How many kids at Coastal Carolina or APP St. are going pro? How many from Boise St (who doesn't have a single four star)? But all of these kids are being coached at a high level. OURS ARE NOT!

We have the 12th highest composite rated roster. We may have plenty of overrated guys and we may have some imbalance...but we ARE NOT untalented!

So the coaching must get better. The schemes must get better. Otherwise, we are just treading water.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
OK, let's just ASSUME "stars don't matter" in recruiting AND the previous staff sucked at talent evaluation. Both are silly in the long run, but work with me here.

Is there ANY scenario where we go into this season thinking, after game seven, we are the absolute WORST team in 3rd down efficiency,? It is, simply, unthinkable.

I get that the kids may not fit the new system. I get that there are some who where over rated. But damn, it is on the coaches to get the best out of what they have. And we are getting the worst...literally.

How many kids at Coastal Carolina or APP St. are going pro? How many from Boise St (who doesn't have a single four star)? But all of these kids are being coached at a high level. OURS ARE NOT!

We have the 12th highest composite rated roster. We may have plenty of overrated guys and we may have some imbalance...but we ARE NOT untalented!

So the coaching must get better. The schemes must get better. Otherwise, we are just treading water.
Feel better? :lol:

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

No. Of course not. They better fix this during the bye week or Toney’s ass need to canned at the end of the year.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Does anyone think Napier will actually fire Toney?

I just can't see him doing it. He brought him with him from ULL where, ostensibly, he was a rock star. It just doesn't square with Napier's image.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017

I just can't see him doing it. He brought him with him from ULL where, ostensibly, he was a rock star. It just doesn't square with Napier's image.
That will be the decider, won't it. Keep your buddy who is failing or make the right decision. It is the difference between championship coaches and those that get a few years at the top.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018

Charlie Pell went 0-10 -1 (79) in his first year. He made UF a Football Powerhouse by 83. The road was paved for SOS, just ask him.

Billy inherited a bad situation. Then he opened with a very tough schedule.
Breathe Chill Out GIF by CSDRMS

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

I think it’s a possibility. Or at least a possibility that he is no longer the DC. Technically he is the Co-DC.

Remember, he was not supposed to be the DC. We had a couple coaches in the hopper that just ended up not coming on board. And then he went with Toney as the co-DC.

But personally, I think the best move would be to let him go. And bring in a real DC to replace him. And that’s only assuming that he doesn’t turn around this defense.

Then I would say to replace one of the OL coaches with an OC. And put Peagler as TE/OL.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
I think it’s a possibility. Or at least a possibility that he is no longer the DC. Technically he is the Co-DC.

Remember, he was not supposed to be the DC. We had a couple coaches in the hopper that just ended up not coming on board. And then he went with Toney as the co-DC.

But personally, I think the best move would be to let him go. And bring in a real DC to replace him. And that’s only assuming that he doesn’t turn around this defense.

Then I would say to replace one of the OL coaches with an OC. And put Peagler as TE/OL.
I had forgotten that Toney wasn't first choice to be DC. Great point!

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
Charlie Pell went 0-10 -1 (79) in his first year. He made UF a Football Powerhouse by 83. The road was paved for SOS, just ask him.

Billy inherited a bad situation. Then he opened with a very tough schedule.
Breathe Chill Out GIF by CSDRMS
And he cheated his way to success...which I appreciated because that was my first year of really watching college football.

But things may have changed a bit since then. Recruiting, NIL, transfer portal, TV contracts, NCAA neutered, etc.

This is no longer a "long-term rebuild" world in college football. It is a "what have you done for me lately" world. Any questions about how many coaches WITH national championships are out of coaching work?

There no excuse for coming into a decent roster and losing to UK and LSU based on their relative situations. Mm maybe LSU, but not the way it happened. And no excuse for USF taking us to the wire because we couldn't stop their offense.

This is coaching. Period.

Yes, drinking and, again, cathartic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.