Recruiting 2023 Recruiting Thread: 4* OT Caden Jones completes the class

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
The storm or tsunami or any other crappy situation that completely keeps you from the beach (aka Dan and Todd) is gone. That's great, obviously. But, thisnew group has at best projections of something building on the horizon. If the recruits start committing in April, great the waves are coming in then. If we start winning games, playing more disciplined, improving as the season goes, AR really shines as we expect, and, most importantly, recruiting finishes in the top 5/6 then yes the build up we are anticipating and 5* visitors have hit shore. Until then, we are all still looking at the horizon. Based on volume of time here, checking frequently.

Even though many here hated the Mullen hire and thought he would not recruit well, the one thing he did early (and many here lauded repeatedly as being different from lazy Jim) was get 5*s to visit and talk about how much better the atmosphere was than elsewhere. This group have more and more glowing reviews. But so far, they have similar commits. Ox's point that it is early is also fair.

Results matter. Looks like we are headed towards results with the staff, facilities, housing, food and parking, but we don't have commits and will not see the on field product for months.

I like your analogy. The surf report looks good ahead, but we can’t see the wave just yet.

And I’m also prepared that this fall’s win/loss may not be all that great. Recruiting and progress in the areas you mention are the deal. The culture change has to be real and effective. Discipline, effort. AR may be a freak talent that accelerates the success. I sure hope so. But generally, real answers will take time.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Good Analysis

Power and Speed.....is it too much to ask for both.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Those top 2 that are 95+ are supposedly ours too

You mean we might actually sign a highly rated 235lb linebacker? If THAT happens, Malik Bryant signing would absolutely feel like 17 years ago when we got Spikes.

It helps - I hope - that there is SO much elite talent in-state this year. I like that most of these .95+ prospects have a short drive to UF.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Sec14 was one of those guys solidly against the hire,

Oooooook.

The only thing I was not happy with is our apparent lack of taking a shot at Lincoln Riley. The talk of LSU and Brian Kelly comparisons, because he was supposedly interest, is silly. He’s in his 60’s. It’s not a comparison hire for the long term program strength.

Jack o' Diamonds

My mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts...
Lifetime Member
Aug 29, 2015
Oooooook.

The only thing I was not happy with is our apparent lack of taking a shot at Lincoln Riley. The talk of LSU and Brian Kelly comparisons, because he was supposedly interest, is silly. He’s in his 60’s. It’s not a comparison hire for the long term program strength.

Pray tell, how do you know they never talked to Lincoln Riley?? Or anyone else for that matter? I personally believe this was vetted months before Mullenz was let go. Don't know that, but circumstances point to that .
think Riley bailed on Oklahoma because hew wanted no part of the SEC..

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Pray tell, how do you know they never talked to Lincoln Riley?? Or anyone else for that matter? I personally believe this was vetted months before Mullenz was let go. Don't know that, but circumstances point to that .
think Riley bailed on Oklahoma because hew wanted no part of the SEC..

I don’t, other than second and third hand reports - that’s why I stated “apparent”. He wanted no part of the SEC at Oklahoma. I completely agree. I thought the same months before we fired Mullen and was posting it here as most told me I was foolish because he’d never leave the Sooners and was an unrealistic option.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I don't believe for a second he was communicating with others prior. Napier was the first guy and he wowed them from the start and that was it.

We know what stricklin going thru a few possibilities looks like. It's what happened when we ended up with dkhead dan.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
I really dont know what the fascination is with Riley. He never really won anything other than big12 championships, which to be honest, aint that big of a deal. He lost 2 games every season that included a loss to a team he shouldn't have and a big game at the end of the season. His recruiting was just barely over muLLLLLLen level. His departure from OU was the way a douchebag would do it as well.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
4* RB Treyaun Webb's visit is going to be "all night" and possibly into tomorrow. This is great news. A commit could be incoming. The issue seems to be that this kid wants to be THE guy while we are recruiting other top backs like Cedric Baxter Jr. who is a consensus top 100 player. We have a real possibility to land both. Oh, and screw you Knox you lazy bastard.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
4* RB Treyaun Webb's visit is going to be "all night" and possibly into tomorrow. This is great news. A commit could be incoming. The issue seems to be that this kid wants to be THE guy while we are recruiting other top backs like Cedric Baxter Jr. who is a consensus top 100 player. We have a real possibility to land both. Oh, and screw you Knox you lazy bastard.

That was the same issue last visit, supposedly. He wanted to commit, staff was fine with it but let him know they were still going hard after other RBs rated higher so he backed off. I like Webb but he isn't RB1.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018

Exit interview from his visit today...

“They need a tight end in my class. I think I’m at the top of their board.”

“They run a lot of 12 and 11, and they feel like I can play the Y and the H effectively so they like that I can do Y and do H,. What I do in my offense in high school compliments their offense well so they just see me as a good fit.”

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
There is a smoke out there that Gates is getting pushed out of the class and will be decommitting soon.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
There is a smoke out there that Gates is getting pushed out of the class and will be decommitting soon.

Any reason given? Just too many elite DBs coming soon? Hope backing out of a commitment on our side doesn’t discourage other recruits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.