Recruiting 2023 Recruiting Thread: 4* OT Caden Jones completes the class

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
It’s that to a degree. But miami isn’t outbidding us, and certainly not A&M. Let’s be clear, if this happens it won’t be because of Dan Mullen, or Jim McElwain, Stricklin, facilitates, commitment to winning or anything else. It will be Cristobal closing despite being the throw in, late to the party coach, while we did not. We can sugar coat all we want, but that’s reality.
Well, not really. Cristobal was one of the firsts to the party and Rashada has been tied in to Miami for a while. After all, he has been playing on the 7v7 team sponsored by Ruiz. Napier and Florida are the late to the party ones. Not sugar coating it, just keeping it real.

Saulgoodman

Sep 26, 2019
Just my personal opinion but I wasn't that excited about Rashada. If we landed him great but if not oh well. That scholarship would be better spent elsewhere. If Napier lands the majority of the top targets at DL, OL, and LB I'll be content. Load up in the trenches and flesh out the supporting cast around them.

I'm not jumping off the ledge yet but I'm going to be inching closer if some of these guys go elsewhere. If we can't get the top recruits now, the type of season we have will have little to no effect on recruiting. At least that's what history has shown us with top recruiters.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
It’s that to a degree. But miami isn’t outbidding us, and certainly not A&M. Let’s be clear, if this happens it won’t be because of Dan Mullen, or Jim McElwain, Stricklin, facilitates, commitment to winning or anything else. It will be Cristobal closing despite being the throw in, late to the party coach, while we did not. We can sugar coat all we want, but that’s reality.
Don’t hang too much on a skinny kid that completed 57% of his passes last year. I’d love for us to get him but I’m much more concerned that we start landing a load of top 10s at their positions to raise the class.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Glad people are calling that douche bag out for being a little b!tch.

Also read on other boards he helps Miami with nil and thinks Ruiz is great for athletes.

Think this sums it up :lol:

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Let’s not get it twisted, it’s a big deal to miss on him, especially to Miami. If anything it’s terrible optics.

Landing a big QB can change your whole recruiting class. Let’s hope stud WRs want to come play with whatever 3* QB we end up landing.

Saulgoodman

Sep 26, 2019
@Jay26 is it though? I mean it doesn't seem like he was a top target for any of the other big time programs. Bama, Georgia, Southern Cal, A&M, LSU, Ohio State, Texas, etc.

Yes it looks bad to lose out to Miami, but we could use that scholarship at another position of need.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I do agree with you that how well liked a coach is has an impact. That’s what gave WM that fourth year. I don’t think he Mike White analogy works at all, because basketball gear isn’t the same as football. Very few coaches have success after failing within the first two years. And as it sits, he may very well go into 23 with roster deficiencies and Jack Miller at quarterback. We could not afford to not have a top level quarterback in last year‘s class, and definitely not this year. A miss here on this kid, as extreme as it sounds, could have major implications on Napier‘s time here.

There’s also a simple economic element involved. Yes, guys like JM and DM sucked, but both complained about support at various times. BN has that support. So if he’s unable to do markedly better, there’s almost an inflationary aspect that must be considered because of what it’s costing us. If he doesn’t get better results, that support will dry up.
If Jack Miller is the starting qb in year 2 then stricklin gets fired and Napier's gone year 3.

I think there's a play here. Take the money from rashada 's offer wich was supposedly pretty good and try to lock down our big targets across the board. Take another late riser at qb . And hope like hell we can find a qb in the transfer portal this cycle. And really start pushing for a top '24 qb. That's the route I'd go here. And I hope this staff will evaluate what's not working here.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I thought Naiper came out and said he needed at least 22 million a year and they said ok. Is this not correct? If it's correct that's quite a bit cause Ryan Day said 13 million
The problem is you have other programs like A&M spending 30+ million. 22 mil sounds nice until you realize what you're competing against.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
@Jay26 is it though? I mean it doesn't seem like he was a top target for any of the other big time programs. Bama, Georgia, Southern Cal, A&M, LSU, Ohio State, Texas, etc.

Yes it looks bad to lose out to Miami, but we could use that scholarship at another position of need.

Yes

We kinda need a QB which happens to be the most important position

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Well, not really. Cristobal was one of the firsts to the party and Rashada has been tied in to Miami for a while. After all, he has been playing on the 7v7 team sponsored by Ruiz. Napier and Florida are the late to the party ones. Not sugar coating it, just keeping it real.

I haven’t followed it nearly as much as you, so I will take your word for it. I knew we were later than some of the WC schools but also thought that we had been a lean for several months and had some connections to the family. I thought um was the latest. Again, you may be right.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Also, I'd just like to point out I wanted Rashada as much as anybody, but don't discount our 2022 QB Max Brown. I know he wasn't highly rated, but if you look at his HS stats they were pretty phenomenal. Close to 70% completion ratio and he'd only been playing QB for a couple years. Guy could end up being another Trask type in a year or two with some good coaching and development. Again I want/wanted Rashada because he can help bring in a really good class. Bigtime players like to play with other big time players, but we may not be as SOL at QB as some may think once AR leaves. We do need to get a top QB in 2024 though no matter what. Also, there's a very good chance a very good QB will decide to transfer from a school like Ok, OSU or UGA after the starters are all hashed out. Some schools have an embarrassment of riches at QB, and top rated QBs don't like to sit on the bench. They'll be looking for new homes with an opportunity to start next year.

Basically my point is, don't let some prima donna playing the game for the best NIL deal (if that's truly what Rashada is doing) ruin your day. Guys like that can end up being cancer to the locker room down the road imo.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Also, I'd just like to point out I wanted Rashada as much as anybody, but don't discount our 2022 QB Max Brown. I know he wasn't highly rated, but if you look at his HS stats they were pretty phenomenal. Close to 70% completion ratio and he'd only been playing QB for a couple years. Guy could end up being another Trask type in a year or two with some good coaching and development. Again I want/wanted Rashada because he can help bring in a really good class. Bigtime players like to play with other big time players, but we may not be as SOL at QB as some may think once AR leaves. We do need to get a top QB in 2024 though no matter what. Also, there's a very good chance a very good QB will decide to transfer from a school like Ok, OSU or UGA after the starters are all hashed out. Some schools have an embarrassment of riches at QB, and top rated QBs don't like to sit on the bench. They'll be looking for new homes with an opportunity to start next year.

Gets tiring having to rely on lower ranked prospects to overcome the odds instead of just landing studs lol

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Don’t hang too much on a skinny kid that completed 57% of his passes last year. I’d love for us to get him but I’m much more concerned that we start landing a load of top 10s at their positions to raise the class.

I don’t scout these kids so I rely on services and posters here. But this is still a sale. If nothing else, we’ve spent a bunch of time that could’ve been spent elsewhere, which is a waste. And as was mentioned above, recruiting(sales) is largely based on perception. Losing any kid that was seen nationally as a likely win is terrible optics. The fact that it’s too a rival that we’ll be battling annually for a while, and who had similar infrastructure/commitment issues he needed to address, is not good. Not a death blow, but certainly troubling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.