2024 Investing Thread

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
BTW @Concrete Helmet as the resident commodity king and self admitted Gold Bug, where were you on Cocoa? Stuff just went higher than Copper. No need to go all Dennis Gartman on us and only own the stuff that"hurts if you drop it on your foot". Money can be made in the "Softs", as they are know as on the floor. also.
I just never watch the other stuff and don't really know how to buy it. Ag. is pretty beaten down though and I look at it to bottom. Truth be told though most of the commodity stuff I own is of the high yielding stuff....BHP, Vale, Sibanye, Gerdau.....if I'm gonna own them while they're bouncing off the bottom they're going to have to pay me for it...BTW the one I'm kicking myself the most for is Southern Copper.....over 100% in the last 2 years and yields 4.8% or so...

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Here's a pretty good read as to why I'm staying long in Uranium. Over the next 5-10 years the mega corps are going to take matters into their own hands when it comes to powering their businesses.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Anyone following Tesla - they are taking a beating, profit expectations are down 48% from last year. Meanwhile, the Biden admin is pushing EV's and the most popular EV on the market is tanking. lol

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Anyone following Tesla - they are taking a beating, profit expectations are down 48% from last year. Meanwhile, the Biden admin is pushing EV's and the most popular EV on the market is tanking. lol

DPRO says...
Say What Oh Hell No GIF by Robert E Blackmon

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Gold not giving 2 f vcks about high interest rates, inflation, lack of rate cuts, rising DXY or phony jobs data....I never would have thought I'd ever consider paying $2300-2400 for an ounce of Gold but I may have to hit up Costco for a couple more ounces just in case...

People something is broken and were being lied to about what it is....

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Gold not giving 2 f vcks about high interest rates, inflation, lack of rate cuts, rising DXY or phony jobs data....I never would have thought I'd ever consider paying $2300-2400 for an ounce of Gold but I may have to hit up Costco for a couple more ounces just in case...

People something is broken and were being lied to about what it is....

I just saw Crete going into Costco.

1712431144387.jpeg

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I just saw Crete going into Costco.

View attachment 68977
Seems to be a lot of talk even amongst the MSM about the legitimacy of yesterday's jobs data(a few defending and a lot questioning).....if the FED is truly data dependent, I don't see rate cuts being on the table for the rest of this year. What do you think? If not, I can't see the market staying anywhere close to where it's at now much longer. It's already looking like it starting to rollover in the S&P and NASDAQ......Strangely enough commodities have begun moving up which isn't going to help inflation...

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Crete, any number released by any gov't agency, the BLS or other, has to be taken with a grain of salt. And the monthly jobs release has the widest margin of error by far for many reasons. Lack of responses, the BS seasonality factors, the birth/death model, how many of these jobs are 2nd or 3rd jobs for existing people etc. There is absolutely no reason for the FED to lower rates other than all the talking heads saying real rates are too high. But financial conditions are so loose all lowering rates will do is make them easier and we stay in this cycle forever. The biggest issue that I completely disagree on is how they interpret inflation. Yes it is going up more slowly or possibly not going up at all, but that is disinflation, not deflation. Show me anywhere that prices are coming down in any meaningful way. In my area, the things people purchase most often are not coming down in price, and even though I saw and onion for $3/lb, it used to be $1.49/lb. And I do not think think that workers wages increased 100%. Houses up close to 100% in my area, though that is the only thing in my area that is truly deflating, yet from a 100+% increase the past 3 years, The problem they have is interest rates on monthly payments for the majority of people. that is their only impetus for lowering the O/N rate. CC rates 25+%, auto loans 15+%. That is where they have issues b/c these affect a good majority of people.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
There is absolutely no reason for the FED to lower rates other than all the talking heads saying real rates are too high. But financial conditions are so loose all lowering rates will do is make them easier and we stay in this cycle forever.
I would disagree slightly here. A couple reasons for the need to lower would be the debt service payments. I know these are staggered but they turnover pretty rapidly so a higher and higher percentage is being issued at much higher rates and the government is at a pace over the last year or so of adding 1 TRILLION DOLLARS to their debt EVERY 100 DAYS...So shortfall could only be made up from higher taxation. Tax the consumer more at this point and defaults go through the roof....tax corporations more and there goes the stock market as well.

Also the gov. does a terrible job of estimating the size and number of people directly and indirectly employed in the housing market...Break it(it's already bending)and they will see unemployment rise at a rate not seen in history at this point in time( Painters, brick layers, tile and door and window guys aren't usually considered "employees" in the traditional sense. But there are millions of them out there. The housing market is bigger than the bond and stock market combined. With the bond market already sputtering on fumes throw in another housing crash and were done for good this time. I see unemployment going beyond 20% if this were to happen.

Now none of that is to say he needs to lower rates dramatically.....it's the knee jerk ******** that makes matter worse along with waiting to long for lagging data. He waited 4-6 months too long to start raising rates to begin with. A couple of .25 cuts aren't likely to reignite inflation.....oil production or lack of it is MUCH more responsible for that.

Last edited:

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Your point is taken Crete,, but lowering rates before killing the economy will drive up inflation more. The debt interest service makes sense on the surface, but just see how big is the appetite for increased debt issued at lower rates? I am here to tell you that it will be miniscule unless they kill the economy. There is already way too much money out there and these azzhats have to get it out of the system. Which is why they should not stop QT but they will. People do not consider rising stock prices (and other certain assets) as inflationary. I am here to tell you it is. You cannot keep dumping water into an already overflowing river and expect it to recede.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Welp the truth is out....of the 300k jobs reported last week most were gov.....full time positions ACTUALLY FELL...

Time to implement the 15% per month short starting with ANYTHING growth/NASDAQ(it's already rolling over)...take profits and keep your high cash and commodity holdings and buy the livin sh!t out of physical gold/silver and start to take entry(if you haven't already) in miners and energy services/Uranium, coal anf NG...Pay off investment RE if you have any.

Thank you....and you can thank me later....:lol:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Haven't touched it...yet... Their premium is lower than my regular supplier but I'm not too hip on bars versus coins from a sovereign mint....YUGE tax differential if/when you decide to off load it....like none versus capital gains...
speaking of capital gains..

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
speaking of capital gains..

I can think of one person this won't apply to...

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@Concrete Helmet they're on to you

buying real gold with fake money :lol:

we all know that most of the time what the MSM says is 180° from the truth... so when CNN says don't buy physical gold, "it's not what people should be doing".
you know damn well you better throw some money at it

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator