300-pound Kerwin Bell named USF OC

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Kerwin and Hardware? He gave us something better. He gave us something we had been craving for years. Wins over UGA. When that team held uga to a goal line stand and that walk on from Mayo threw that 90+ yard TD bomb to the boy from Newberry gators everywhere were ecstatic. After decades of futility we stuck it in the dwags eye and twisted it. Kerwin was the quintessential AA boy from the woods. He had a great smile and married is HS sweetheart. He gave us hope and wins. He had great supporting class but he was never the weak link. He was the leader. If you could find a program from that first Miami game he played in (and had won at the end before the fckn 305 demons saved UM from the loss) you would see at least 20 future NFL players on those rosters. It was a helluva game and the Fr walkon played good enough to beat that team of thug/stars.

This pcking fun at older guys is easy to understand. It is fear. Fear of the day when 30 and 40 somethings lose hair, gain weight and begin to look funny. I get it. When you work with little kids they don't hesitate to point it out. I heard this just Thurs. "coach your bald" I got that big spot in the back now going clear. I replied "Alexis, its crazy at this age, it grows where you dont want it and doesnt where you do want it" I guess if we gonna middle school in here about womens I gotta accept it about everything else. I remember the VERY first time I heard butter teeth. I was teaching 6th grade math in 78. This one little chubby boy used it all the time.....every time I heard it here I saw his face.

Well the good news is since the time Kerwin read this thread title he’s lost 25 pounds. I’m also down 10 pounds myself.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

Thanks for posting. I was curious what a G5 paid their OC. I'm actually surprised it's not a little more considering he left a head coaching gig. Randy Shannon is slated to make $1 million/year once his UF money runs out at UCF - which is ridiculous, for them to being paying to any coordinator as a G5 school. I think Bell made around $200K at VSU, which is a pretty good salary for D2 football.

For comparison, in 2016 USF paid DC Raymond Woodie $260K and $275K in 2017.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks for posting. I was curious what a G5 paid their OC. I'm actually surprised it's not a little more considering he left a head coaching gig. Randy Shannon is slated to make $1 million/year once his UF money runs out at UCF - which is ridiculous, for them to being paying to any coordinator as a G5 school. I think Bell made around $200K at VSU, which is a pretty good salary for D2 football.

For comparison, in 2016 USF paid DC Raymond Woodie $260K and $275K in 2017.

Bell and Strong have known each other for decades when Strong was on the coaching staff as a GA. I wonder if Bell might have given a discount due to that relationship.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Would you be happy making his salary? I sure would be.

Right over your head.

These salaries put these coaches in the top 1% of earners (probably even higher). It's something most of us, common folks, will never get close to. So comments like this are pretty much.....stupid.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So, I’d be inclined to think his new salary is based on his old salary. I don’t think that means his at a discount.

Not a discount from his previous salary, but a discount what I believe he could get on the open market.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
I am really hoping the trajectory we are currently on continues for many years and Coach Mullen is here for a long time while we are competing for it most, if not, every year. And to be honest, I still have the feeling that Coach Mullen is at his dream job and sees UF as his path. Him and his wife seem to have roots here, which is a curse and gift the State of Florida provides. Its an easy place to call home, whether your from here or not.

With that said, Coach Bell is someone to watch as he transitions to a bigger game for the next couple seasons. He's been winning while scrapping with and against junior varsity talent. So while USF and their schedule isn't SEC level, it is a significant jump for Coach Bell to gauge if he adjusts. If he is successful, he could possible be one to two quality coaching stops away from being viewed as a candidate for his Alma Mater.

It is going to be fun to 'follow' USF next season.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
I want to see Kerwin's Offensive "Style" hit it big in D-1. This was my UF Dream Ticket Strong/Bell. I thought MusChump really screwed the pooch when he passed on Kerwin.

Chump had the “D” but his lack of ANY OC was/is incredible…Charlie Cheeseburger said it all.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Well, that’s only true if you think other schools were offering him.

That is the side we don't know... I know when he was in Jacksonville, he had a few offers which he turned down. With his background and seeing whom else has been offered and their experience. Just going by what we see if you compare resumes makes it hard to say otherwise. Obviously he isn't going to get P5 money, but being an OC in the CFL, then head coaching two different programs (lower levels).

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
So, I’d be inclined to think his new salary is based on his old salary. I don’t think that means his at a discount.

In the context & flow of the posts, when discount was first mentioned, I took discount to mean the bargain that USF got because Bell will prove to be worth a higher salary??

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator