A couple names I haven't heard

Crunchtime

Sep 18, 2014
And I don't read EVERYTHING on this site so don't shoot me if I missed it but...

1) Gary Patterson of TCU has run a great program for year and competed with the best the Big 12 has to offer year in and year out.
2) Bill Cowher - Yes, the ex-Steeler head coach. I would at least make the phone call if I was Foley.

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think Law might kill himself if we hired Bill Cowher.

Crunchtime

Sep 18, 2014
Why the Bill Cowher hate? Honest question. He is a coach with a great track record and would have great credibility with recruits and players as well as has a reputation for instilling discipline into his team. Is there a history here I am not aware of? And I know that Cowher is likely to be the Giants next coach but why the negative view of him?

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Crunchtime;n80058 said:
Why the Bill Cowher hate? Honest question. He is a coach with a great track record and would have great credibility with recruits and players as well as has a reputation for instilling discipline into his team. Is there a history here I am not aware of? And I know that Cowher is likely to be the Giants next coach but why the negative view of him?
Cause the dude is like 60 with no experience on the college level and is a defensive coach
:suicide:

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Oh, and the guy hasn't coached in almost ten years. The game has changed a lot since then.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Why the hell would an old NFL guy like Cowher ever come to college? You think he's going to sit in dank, dirty living rooms recruiting these kids?

I don't mind discussing candidates, but we should at least think we have a snowball's chance in hell before you throw out a name. Think of it this way: what successful NFL head coach has ever returned to college? Has it ever happened in history? Those guys just don't go back.

It's the same for guys like Mike Shanahan, Jim Harbaugh, and Jon Gruden. They are NEVER going back to college.

Crunchtime

Sep 18, 2014
So Nick Saban is not a defensive coach? Bob Stoops is not a defensive coach? Come on guys. WM being a defensive minded coach is NOT the problem. The problem is he has no idea how to delegate and he has no idea how to actually be a HC. The common denominator you are missing is defensive minded HC who fail typically have NO head coaching experience. I get it if you don't like Bill but the anti-DC sentiment is a little flawed. What you want is a HC who hires a great OC and lets him have the autonomy to run the offensive.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
oxrageous;n80064 said:
Why the hell would an old NFL guy like Cowher ever come to college? You think he's going to sit in dank, dirty living rooms recruiting these kids?

I don't mind discussing candidates, but we should at least think we have a snowball's chance in hell before you throw out a name. Think of it this way: what successful NFL head coach has ever returned to college? Has it ever happened in history? Those guys just don't go back.
So we aren't getting Gruden?! :cry2:

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Ray Finkle;n80066 said:
Originally posted by oxrageous

So we aren't getting Gruden?! :cry2:

Ox just ruined my night. :sadnanner:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Ray Finkle;n80060 said:
Cause the dude is like 60 with no experience on the college level and is a defensive coach
:suicide:

Exactly and he he retired when most of these recruits was like 10. This would be like Dave weinsted (spelling ) or Bill Callahan. And why would he pass up all those nfl jobs to coach at the college level.

Munk

Quitter
Aug 3, 2014
Muschamp isn't going anywhere, anytime soon. The team will manage to win just enough despite his piss poor coaching for foley to give him more extensions. Roper is toast though, if not this year, next for sure. Until we accept this reality, we won't get our podcasts back. Long live Tuberchamp.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
The Michigan fans are smoking dope if they really think Jim Harbaugh is going to go there. He could have his pick of about 10 NFL teams when he leaves the 49ers. The NFL is cushier, higher paying, higher profile, and no recruiting. It's much more of a plum job than college.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Crunchtime;n80065 said:
So Nick Saban is not a defensive coach? Bob Stoops is not a defensive coach? Come on guys. WM being a defensive minded coach is NOT the problem. The problem is he has no idea how to delegate and he has no idea how to actually be a HC. The common denominator you are missing is defensive minded HC who fail typically have NO head coaching experience. I get it if you don't like Bill but the anti-DC sentiment is a little flawed. What you want is a HC who hires a great OC and lets him have the autonomy to run the offensive.

8 of the current top ten teams are being coached by guys with an offensive back round. Do you see a trend? I'm all for stoops and saban but they ain't comming here

Crunchtime

Sep 18, 2014
Does it hurt to make the phone call? The guy is not coaching now. His wife's health was the reason he got out. He has had multiple offers to go back to the NFL and his excuse has always been that the grind of the NFL got to him and he needed a break. The recruiting angel is overblown OX. Spurrier did not visit many recruits. He only showed up to close the deal. Urban never went to Andre's house (I am personal friends of the family and know this for a fact). He met the family at the school or other locations. While I agree that the chances are slim, I would not say they are non existent. I think there are about a dozen schools that could pull coaches back to the college ranks and I still believe Florida is one. Wiess left the NFL when he had offers to HC in KC. If not for the violations and subsequent sanctions, Pete Carol would most likely still be at USC after leaving the NFL. Saban left Miami to go to Alabama. Yes it has happen. I believe Florida is a school that could pull off something like Alabama did with Saban. If I am wrong, oh well. It is worth the phone call.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Crunchtime;n80065 said:
Blah blah blah. When I jump I'm gonna try to land on Foley.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Crunchtime;80075 said:
The NFL got to him and he needed a break. The recruiting angel is overblown OX.
recruiting_angel_logo.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.