"Administrative problem" caused the two early TO's vs. UGA?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Sofla, are they ruining it for him, or is this his ceiling... This offseason will tell us a lot about him. This isn't MSU, and we shouldn't have an MSU staff. This is a top 5/10 job in the nation, MSU isn't sniffing the top 25 jobs. So he will show us a lot before the first practice in spring ball. I just don't see the fact he can be great, the lack of attention to detail has been there since day one. I see good to very good... but great to special? Attention to detail seperates the good/very good from the great to special. Dan is a good coach, but like you said this is just another moment that is being added to his collection of moments.

Not sure. It’s amazing what one loss can change. I see littthjngs that tell me he’s not content to be what you just described. I reference his opening press conference where he have himself not wiggle room on expectations. This isn’t a “broken program” or criticizing the facilities issue like we saw with the last two. He wants to win. Maybe he doesn’t have it. I just shake my head at the idea that someone like Swinney or even Fisher are that much better than him, and they’ve win titles. But as I said, games like Saturday hurt my argument.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
The timing is just terrible and nonsensical. That game was literally the biggest game in the UF/Mullen era to date, and we had extra time to prepare. It's strange. He almost has acted this whole time like he knew we couldn't win. He hasn't seemed himself for two weeks now.

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
What would Meyer do?

When he took the Ohio State job, just 1 full season removed from the UF job, he did not hire a single coach who coached with him at UF (on-field coach). Think about that. He went into the Ohio State job with 9 assistants he had never coached with! Mullen takes the UF job and essentially brings his entire Miss State staff with him.

He doesn't necessarily need to clean house, but we all know the two that need to go - hopefully three if/when the DC moves on.

Spurrier was very similar at South Carolina, he may have had one coach from UF on his staff.

"Too comfortable" is a great way to look at this @SeabeeGator

Meyer took a lot of his staff with him from Bowling Green to Utah and finally UF.

Maybe the reason he didn't take any to Ohio state is that a lot of them are with Mullen now? Its not like 2010 was a raging success. But let us not act like he didn't do what Mullen did at UF.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Not sure. It’s amazing what one loss can change. I see littthjngs that tell me he’s not content to be what you just described. I reference his opening press conference where he have himself not wiggle room on expectations. This isn’t a “broken program” or criticizing the facilities issue like we saw with the last two. He wants to win. Maybe he doesn’t have it. I just shake my head at the idea that someone like Swinney or even Fisher are that much better than him, and they’ve win titles. But as I said, games like Saturday hurt my argument.

The problem it isn't one loss... Now, let me start, I don't think he is a bad coach. I've stand I still believe he might be the 2nd or 3rd best coach in the SEC... but how many great coaches are their in the SEC? He said all the right things coming in. But how many times did we come into games and lay an egg early to end up out talenting the other team over 4 quarters. There are only really about 3/4 games on our schedule that we shouldn't win on talent alone, and with Tennessee and FSU being the tire fire they are it's really just two games. This offseason will say a lot.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Mullen is certainly a better coach than he was for the UGA game. That's what so disappointing. Again, he doesn't seem himself. I don't know if something happened that rattled him leading up to the game or what.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Meyer took a lot of his staff with him from Bowling Green to Utah and finally UF.

Maybe the reason he didn't take any to Ohio state is that a lot of them are with Mullen now? Its not like 2010 was a raging success. But let us not act like he didn't do what Mullen did at UF.
I’d be curious to see the break down.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Dooley is an old, untalented fool who likely reeks of stale sweat, day-old wing sauce and "end-of-marginal-career" hopelessness.

That said, I have no defense to offer for Mullen's bit spitting during what has to have been the biggest game of his career as an HC. We looked discomfited from the get-go.

Dude had better reel a top 6 class with commits that actually stick through spring ball.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
For clarification as I am not one to make assumptions, is the posting of this article for informational purposes only or is it a way to justify what may or may not have occurred with Cousin Eddie and his troops?
Uh Oh, back to Cousin Eddie huh.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
For clarification as I am not one to make assumptions, is the posting of this article for informational purposes only or is it a way to justify what may or may not have occurred with Cousin Eddie and his troops?

informational...I can't believe it happened.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

Yes, but those jobs were slightly better than lateral moves. He went from a top 30 job at MSU to a top 10 job at UF. Also, Meyer took a lot of the coaches w/ him but several of them stayed where they were w/ the new staff: Mike Sanford took the HC job at BGSU and kept a few of the assistants, Kyle Whittingham was already on staff at Utah and then stayed on as head coach, keeping a few of the assistants (which is why Mullen became the OC at UF, he was the QB coach at Utah). But that's not really the point. The point is Meyer didn't hire ONE coach from his UF days at OSU. Mullen practically brought the entire staff w/ him. Even keeping Seider would have given him some fresh views on the offense, plus an ace recruiter. It was an amateur move and it was discussed at the time (defended by the typical "trust the coaches" Homers). But was it wrong? Would it have been better to bring in a few fresh faces? I think so.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Dude had better reel a top 6 class with commits that actually stick through spring ball.

Top 6 overall or in the SEC? Because we ain't landing a top 6 overall class. That's reserved for: Clemson, Alabama, LSU, UGA, Ohio State, Texas A&M, Auburn, Michigan, Texas, etc....

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014

Yeah, Mullen knew the wristbands were wrong 3 minutes into the 1st quarter, why didn’t he go ballistic right then? No excuse for Dan letting there be an excuse and letting somebody off the hook of a well earned tongue lashing immediately...not 40 minutes of game clock later.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Yes, but those jobs were slightly better than lateral moves. He went from a top 30 job at MSU to a top 10 job at UF. Also, Meyer took a lot of the coaches w/ him but several of them stayed where they were w/ the new staff: Mike Sanford took the HC job at BGSU and kept a few of the assistants, Kyle Whittingham was already on staff at Utah and then stayed on as head coach, keeping a few of the assistants (which is why Mullen became the OC at UF, he was the QB coach at Utah). But that's not really the point. The point is Meyer didn't hire ONE coach from his UF days at OSU. Mullen practically brought the entire staff w/ him. Even keeping Seider would have given him some fresh views on the offense, plus an ace recruiter. It was an amateur move and it was discussed at the time (defended by the typical "trust the coaches" Homers). But was it wrong? Would it have been better to bring in a few fresh faces? I think so.
Name one person who defended that. And if he can, @oxrageous please ban that person ASAP.

SaltGator

Founding Member
Midline
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Another question that needs to be asked if CDM decided to make some staff changes, would the cheapskate UAA come off the extra $$$ for position coach upgrades?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Another question that needs to be asked if CDM decided to make some staff changes, would the cheapskate UAA come off the extra $$$ for position coach upgrades?
I think they would. We’ll never be the trend setters but I don’t think we’re as cheap as some would have you believe.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I think they would. We’ll never be the trend setters but I don’t think we’re as cheap as some would have you believe.

I think this is true. For example, I like going to the baseball games but we are dropping 100M (guessing after all said and done) on a new baseball stadium that is totally not needed. We dropped what 200M+ on the worn out O'Dome. Granted it houses numerous sports, but gymnastics is the only sport there that routinely sells out. Heck Men's BBall barely draws flies so they reduced seating as part of the makeover. Meanwhile we have a football stadium and related football facilities that need attention like 20 years ago, yet when it comes to that all we get is crickets. So yes, we are not as cheap as many of us make it seem. So to be more precise, we do spend some money, just VERY poorly. So I guess that qualifies also as a type of "administrative" problem.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Name one person who defended that. And if he can, @oxrageous please ban that person ASAP.

There were plenty of people who gave a downvote and defended him bringing in his buddies. The old, "I trust the coaches..." mantra, "He's bringing in coaches he trusts..." All that BS.

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
We lost that game because we couldn't pressure the QB and we couldn't run the ball.
The wristband thing points to a different issue; we seemed unprepared and confused on offense, and that's on the coaches.
I hope those issues are being addressed and resolved soon, because recruiting is the biggest issue and there appears to be some correlation regarding certain members of the coaching staff and their ability to recruit.

Watching that game really highlights our concerns with DL recruiting (or the lack thereof), not to mention our lack of talent or depth at the safety and lb positions.

Simply put, we really need to get some beef on the defensive line to allow the pass rushers to be effective.
The problem is that I don't know how many of these kids are thrilled with playing in Grantham's system, which would explain why we aren't having much success recruiting them and building depth at that position.

Of course, the recruiting argument is for a different thread, but these coaches must examine film and are forced to match the talent of the opposition within the philosophy of their system; that alone can create confusion when the system must expand and adapt.
A good coach gets within reach, a great coach gets it done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator