"Administrative problem" caused the two early TO's vs. UGA?

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Wow... as a Dan defender... I got nothing. Awful. After staff management and improving recruiting, I guess I need to add game day prep to the things he needs to straighten out. Staff is too comfortable- he needs to shake it up. Starting with Knox (switching it now - need new blood on offense and he’s the absolute worst coach on that staff) then English.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Wow... as a Dan defender... I got nothing. Awful. After staff management and improving recruiting, I guess I need to add game day prep to the things he needs to straighten out. Staff is too comfortable- he needs to shake it up. Starting with Knox (switching it now - need new blood on offense and he’s the absolute worst coach on that staff) then English.

Great way of putting it. Staff seems way too comfortable, which isn’t shocking given the length of time they’ve been with him.

The whole thing is a disaster, the game never felt right and that falls squarely on his shoulders. But at this point, can’t you undo it.

So I look at it like this: what would Meyer/Spurrier do at this point in a case like this? There would be head(s) rolling, offices cleaned out and family pets names put on a list. It’s really that simple. Demand excellence in addition to just relentless effort, or the latter becomes a waste.

Mullen needs to really grasp that rarely are coaches fired because of a moment. Rather it’s a collection of moments that ultimately write your story. He’s either ok with the way that story’s being written or he’s not. But as I said, by all accounts he endured 10 years in Starkville, waiting to get this one shot. And he can be great. But I’d hate to look back and wonder why I allowed things like this, or useless people like Knox/English/TG to ruin that for me.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Great way of putting it. Staff seems way too comfortable, which isn’t shocking given the length of time they’ve been with him.

The whole thing is a disaster, the game never felt right and that falls squarely on his shoulders. But at this point, can’t undo it.

So I look at it like this: what would Meyer/Spurrier do at this point in a case like this? There would be head(s) rolling, offices cleaned out and family pets names put on a list. It’s really that simple. Demand excellence in addition to just relentless effort, or the latter become less a waste.

Mullen needs to really grasp that rarely are coaches fired because of a moment. Rather it’s a collection of moments that ultimately write your story. He’s either ok with the way that story’s being written or he’s not. But as I said, by all accounts he endured 10 years in Starkville, waiting to get this one shot. And he can be great. But I’d hate to look back and wonder why I allowed things like this, or useless people like Knox/English/TG to ruin that for me.

What would Meyer do?

When he took the Ohio State job, just 1 full season removed from the UF job, he did not hire a single coach who coached with him at UF (on-field coach). Think about that. He went into the Ohio State job with 9 assistants he had never coached with! Mullen takes the UF job and essentially brings his entire Miss State staff with him.

He doesn't necessarily need to clean house, but we all know the two that need to go - hopefully three if/when the DC moves on.

Spurrier was very similar at South Carolina, he may have had one coach from UF on his staff.

"Too comfortable" is a great way to look at this @SeabeeGator

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
It bothered me when they asked Mullen what he was doing to fire up his team for the game and he said nothing really. He said they know its a rivalry game and should already be fired up. I disagree. They weren't fired up and neither were the coaches.

This x 1000. The team is often flat. Between this and the wristbands, it screams lack of organization, drive and attention to detail

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
@BMF or as you and I would call it... “complacency”. A good firing or two would go a long way - especially if it was someone he’s protected for a long time.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I dont believe in drastic action such as firing in order to send a message. I think if you are doing or considering that you've already proven you are a failure as a leader. A good leader sets a tone and his subordinates adhere and follow. There should be no reason for drastic measures as a means to get peoples attention. If someone is fired, it needs to be because they did something worthy of firing.

That being said, there are at least 3 people on staff that have already proven deserving of being shown the door. It needs to happen.

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017
I dont believe in drastic action such as firing in order to send a message. I think if you are doing or considering that you've already proven you are a failure as a leader. A good leader sets a tone and his subordinates adhere and follow. There should be no reason for drastic measures as a means to get peoples attention. If someone is fired, it needs to be because they did something worthy of firing.

That being said, there are at least 3 people on staff that have already proven deserving of being shown the door. It needs to happen.

This. A good CEO figured out the areas of mismanagement and fixes them. Mullen has enough time here now to see who he needs to upgrade. He said the team is 7 points away and it’s pretty clear where he can make changes to get them.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
It bothered me when they asked Mullen what he was doing to fire up his team for the game and he said nothing really. He said they know its a rivalry game and should already be fired up. I disagree. They weren't fired up and neither were the coaches.
I totally disagree, I think the players were too hyped. I think they played nervous in the first quarter.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
That's pretty squarely on whoever is in charge of handing out the wristbands before the game. I'm sure they change them throughout the game and there was some miscommunication there.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
That's pretty squarely on whoever is in charge of handing out the wristbands before the game. I'm sure they change them throughout the game and there was some miscommunication there.

Fair enough. but I have a little different view and not about wristbands or any specific thing. The HEAD COACH is in charge of everything and that means proper delegation. And if there is a fk up by a subordinate, that is on the HEAD COACH. From the most crucial decision during the tightest of games to the guy who picks up the dirty jocks in the dressing room, all fall under the scope of the HEAD COACH.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
He said the team is 7 points away
this isnt an indication he knows there needs to be a fix. this is an indication hes got his head in the sand. at no point in that game where we a score away from where we want to be. Hell, even if we had won if he had said anything other than, "well we are mighty happy to have the W, but damn it to all hell that was as frustrating a game, and as poorly played and coached by our team and staff as any ive ever been a part of" he'd be fit for a straight jacket.

the game was awful, the play was awful, the coaching was dreadful, the grossly needed adjustments were non existent, no sense of urgency, no focus and understanding from the players or coaches, nada. win or lose, that isnt a game to point to and say we are close to where we want to be. that's a game to sit back and say, we really have a lot of work to do and some of yall need to either step up or gtfo!

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
this isnt an indication he knows there needs to be a fix. this is an indication hes got his head in the sand. at no point in that game where we a score away from where we want to be. Hell, even if we had won if he had said anything other than, "well we are mighty happy to have the W, but damn it to all hell that was as frustrating a game, and as poorly played and coached by our team and staff as any ive ever been a part of" he'd be fit for a straight jacket.

I described the game Saturday as just a continuation of the game last year. When we pulled within 6, it was like last year when we briefly took the lead. In both cases, they just systematically drove the ball down the field and scored. So yes, while we kept it close to some degree in each of these games, there was never that moment where they looked like they were truly concerned.

Now, some of that is out of his control because of the talent disparity that wasn't getting corrected overnight. But the fact that we looked unprepared and sort of lackadaisical is not.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

The whole thing is a disaster, the game never felt right and that falls squarely on his shoulders. But at this point, can’t you undo it.

So I look at it like this: what would Meyer/Spurrier do at this point in a case like this? There would be head(s) rolling, offices cleaned out and family pets names put on a list. It’s really that simple. Demand excellence in addition to just relentless effort, or the latter becomes a waste.

Sofla, are they ruining it for him, or is this his ceiling... This offseason will tell us a lot about him. This isn't MSU, and we shouldn't have an MSU staff. This is a top 5/10 job in the nation, MSU isn't sniffing the top 25 jobs. So he will show us a lot before the first practice in spring ball. I just don't see the fact he can be great, the lack of attention to detail has been there since day one. I see good to very good... but great to special? Attention to detail seperates the good/very good from the great to special. Dan is a good coach, but like you said this is just another moment that is being added to his collection of moments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.