Do we know if Born is taller than Urg?
the wizard of oz dancing GIF

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Hopefully Deet doesn't make any sudden stops....if he did it would probably take the jaws of life to remove your head from his sphincter.
kisser GIF
Thank god no one listens to you, we'd all be invested in rubles and banned from every message board on the planet except the one we have to keep "donating" to so they don't ban us :whistle:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Thank god no one listens to you, we'd all be invested in rubles and banned from every message board on the planet except the one we have to keep "donating" to so they don't ban us :whistle:
Not to mention getting your refrigerator fixed before the 4th visit or having to buy a new one :lol2:

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Still trying to process the fact that you're only making 47k a year. Crazy. For comparison my schytbird brother just started as a baggage handler down at the airport a couple months ago. He's clearing 4k/month AFTER taxes. As a brand new guy. With the only qualifications needed are the ability to pass a drug test and be able to lift 50 lbs. I fully expect that in a couple months they will make him a baggage supervisor and his pay will just about double. God dang.....9 years in and you're making less than 4k per month? Yeesh. ANYTHING would be better than that and I'm not even talking about a job where you need a bunch of skills or education.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Still trying to process the fact that you're only making 47k a year. Crazy. For comparison my schytbird brother just started as a baggage handler down at the airport a couple months ago. He's clearing 4k/month AFTER taxes. As a brand new guy. With the only qualifications needed are the ability to pass a drug test and be able to lift 50 lbs. I fully expect that in a couple months they will make him a baggage supervisor and his pay will just about double. God dang.....9 years in and you're making less than 4k per month? Yeesh. ANYTHING would be better than that and I'm not even talking about a job where you need a bunch of skills or education.
So they're paying baggage handlers approx 55k per year? And baggage sups 110k per year? Is that what you're saying?

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So they're paying baggage handlers approx 55k per year? And baggage sups 110k per year? Is that what you're saying?
Its a little under $18 an hour and he makes about 55 hours of pay per week with overtime. Plus free medical, travel benefits, and a decent 401k. If he gets the supervisor job the rate goes up to $32 and still plenty of overtime.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Its a little under $18 an hour and he makes about 55 hours of pay per week with overtime. Plus free medical, travel benefits, and a decent 401k. If he gets the supervisor job the rate goes up to $32 and still plenty of overtime.
Gotcha. I was missing the OT.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It may sound exhausting if you imagine that he spends literally 50 hours a week tossing luggage around but the reality is that they work hard for about 20 minutes then they sit around the rest of the hour. And not all jobs are loading and unloading the bins, there are plenty of jobs these guys do which aren't back breaking work and they all rotate through. Plus there is no homework, no reports, no emails, no spreadsheets...you clock out and work is OVER over until you come back in the next day. Not saying its the end all/ be all of jobs but just an example of how easy it is to get something better than 47k/ year. I suppose that figure includes summer and the other breaks off. The other thing with a service industry job is that when everybody else wants time off for vacation, you have to be at work because that is the busy time.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
It may sound exhausting if you imagine that he spends literally 50 hours a week tossing luggage around but the reality is that they work hard for about 20 minutes then they sit around the rest of the hour. And not all jobs are loading and unloading the bins, there are plenty of jobs these guys do which aren't back breaking work and they all rotate through. Plus there is no homework, no reports, no emails, no spreadsheets...you clock out and work is OVER over until you come back in the next day. Not saying its the end all/ be all of jobs but just an example of how easy it is to get something better than 47k/ year. I suppose that figure includes summer and the other breaks off. The other thing with a service industry job is that when everybody else wants time off for vacation, you have to be at work because that is the busy time.
There is truly something to be said for this.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
One additional benefit you didn't mention is the chance to do some free shopping. TSA physically inspects ~ 5% of checked bags annually. If they find something really cool other than a declared firearm, they can keep it. Of course, that benefit IS NOT listed in the employee brochures though... :whistle:

Born2beagator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Yeah I feel like I'm not working a real job. If I didn't pay rent with my parents I'd not be able to AFFORD to be a teacher. I joined this profession because my teachers basically saved my life with how the guided me to become a man. I wasnt even thinking about the money. I wanted to do the same. So didn't do it for the money. Guess I'm an idealist. I also didn't have a good childhood with lots of friends due to my mental issues/getting aspergers under control so I suppose I'm also partially living a the childhood I didn't have l through the 130 or so kids I have every year and trying to help them have a better one than I did

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Yeah I feel like I'm not working a real job. If I didn't pay rent with my parents I'd not be able to AFFORD to be a teacher. I joined this profession because my teachers basically saved my life with how the guided me to become a man. I wasnt even thinking about the money. I wanted to do the same. So didn't do it for the money. Guess I'm an idealist. I also didn't have a good childhood with lots of friends due to my mental issues/getting aspergers under control so I suppose I'm also partially living a the childhood I didn't have l through the 130 or so kids I have every year and trying to help them have a better one than I did

Man, I hope you sit down and make a plan. You have skills that are needed in the American work force. There's been some good suggestions in this thread - and don't be afraid to ask questions. Being a "hustler" means you get sh*t done - so start getting sh*t done!

Born2beagator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Man, I hope you sit down and make a plan. You have skills that are needed in the American work force. There's been some good suggestions in this thread - and don't be afraid to ask questions. Being a "hustler" means you get sh*t done - so start getting sh*t done!
I don't feel like it sometimes

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
chck your PM's

I hacked Coach's private advice to Born (Coach's password was "gogators" :rolleyes3: ).

Coach wrote: "as long as you have a warm butthole, you'll always have a way to make a buck"

My advice? Get into college coaching. Con your way into a job, then fail miserably, get fired, and collect millions. Nick Saban is an idiot for winning and working all those years. If he had gone 0-10-1 instead, he could have been collecting those fat paychecks while sitting on a beach sipping margaritas instead of chasing barely literate16 years olds for a commitment and begging the people who call Paul Finebaum for NIL money.

Personally, if I had to do it all over again:

1. If you want to be your own boss-- Get into some aspect of construction. Electrical, plumbing, roofs, making curbs or sidewalks, whatever is best suited for you mentally. If you become a lawyer or a dentist, all your competitors got A's in school, they're all smart. The folks in the trades tend to be lesser competition. Some are really sharp, but many aren't and just got rich by being able to speak English, have a license, and do average to below-average work. These guys buy giant trucks (motorcycles, boats, etc.), date strippers, and do lots of coke. They aren't super-skilled at contract review/drafting, budgeting, doing proposals, hiring/firing, quality control, etc. They often flame out because they made a lot of money and that led to too much drinking and drugs with too many skanks. If you can provide a good service, pass inspection, have crews that show up on time and do the work, the world can be your oyster. First step is to break into the field to learn the skills (which you could do over the course of a summer when you're not teaching). Then you get the necessary license, put together the crew (I strongly suggest you become fluent in Spanish--borrow Rosetta Stone from your library or do duolingo on your phone or something), then grow your business. So long as you don't fall victim to adopting the lifestyle of your competitors and flame out, you should be making money hand over fist pretty quickly. I'm mentoring my nephew down this career path right now. He started roofing (terrible people), then took a good-paying job with a prestigious homebuilder as an inspector (the guy who speaks English and showers/shaves every once in a while and who interacts with the home purchasers about the on-going construction and deals with the trade groups doing the construction). He's left for a better-paying job as a supervisor (orders building materials on a schedule so they get delivered when needed to keep construction moving, deals with the trade groups during constructions) with a company that does commercial construction. Right now he's working on some 4 story apartment buildings. That company will pay for him to get licenses, certificates, and accreditations and he's building up a savings to go out on his own when the time is right. If you don't like dealing with the kind of folks who work in construction, another option is to create a job for yourself. Find something people don't like doing for themselves. I'll givee you an example...baby boomers are getting old and dying off. Their millennial kids want the inheritance but not the hassle. Offer a service of going into the deceased home (or maybe not deceased but being moved to a facility) and emptying it out for them. Sell what can be sold, give the rest to goodwill for the tax write-off, identify the family treasurers (photos primarily) take them out of their frames, scan or preserve them, return them to the family. The heirs have full-time jobs. They can only meet movers at granny's house on Saturday or Sunday, they don't have a relationship with the moving company. You have those relationships. You have a cleaning company you use that you get a bulk rate (or a kickback if the heirs hire the company instead of going through you), you hire kids on fiverr to scan the photos, you buy the paper to put between the photos to prevent them from sticking to each other in bulk, you have a relationship with people who will sell china, crystal, and silverware on e-bay or second-hand stores. If you do a good job, soon enough you'll have your own truck, your own cleaning crew, etc. Anything people don't like doing themselves can be a lucrative career.

2. If you don't mind working for others-- These jobs tend to not be as stressful 24/7 because once you clock off, you're done. It's not like being an attorney where you miss something in discovery and 2 years later it costs you a trial or if you're an architect and if you have a bad day today, that means you have to work twice as hard tomorrow to catch up because the project still has to be done by Friday. The top end isn't as high as being self-employed, but you can make a very good living and have a great lifestyle. Some ideas include airline pilot (the need is huge), long-distance truck driver (huge need, used to be more independents but not so common anymore), maybe a train conductor (AmTrak has the added benefit of being a government job which is great but unless you're a Black woman, you might have to put on lipstick and call yourself "nonbinary" to get the job).

Alex.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I hacked Coach's private advice to Born (Coach's password was "gogators" :rolleyes3: ).

Coach wrote: "as long as you have a warm butthole, you'll always have a way to make a buck"
This was what I actually PM'd him.
I just saw your post about career ideas. Detroit is one of those people with good ideas. I would not go into admin. The degree is just leadership now and I doubt it would carry into another career. If you like teaching consider Alaska. The pay is good and you are with rural children. I loved working with kids that lived in the country. My other advice is get a two year nursing degree.THEY make way more than teachers. If you are vested in the Fla retirement system then you are going to have two retirements. Like one said you have no ties that bind you. If I was a single man that liked teaching I would try Alaska. The US also has govt schools over sear I had friends that taught in China and made a TON of money. Oh yeah, private and charters are not a good option. Good luck my friend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator