Andrew Spivey's perspective on the Gators' new coaching staff

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
I'm still in a wait and see mode. One thing I've learned being here in Jax is that media guys love anything that gives them access. ANYTHING!

The media here in Jax is so in love with the Jaguars coaching staff its embarrassing. They go on and on about how great they are 24 hours a day. They'd be happy if the Jags gave hem all 10 year contracts right now. Meanwhile that coaching staff has won 7 games in two years.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'm definitely in wait and see mode myself. If this goofy basterd can win football games and actually get points on the board I'll be down with it.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, there is no doubt that many of us are just in euphoria that Chimp is gone.

Mac's 21-16 resume is very troubling for a guy hired by a (former) top program.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n234330 said:
I'm definitely in wait and see mode myself. If this goofy basterd can win football games and actually get points on the board I'll be down with it.

I know what you mean t, but can we please lay off of the "goofy" sh!t until the guy has a chance? I prefer "friendly". After the chimp, it is somewhat refreshing.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n234380 said:
Yeah, there is no doubt that many of us are just in euphoria that Chimp is gone.

Mac's 21-16 resume is very troubling for a guy hired by a (former) top program.

21-16 does not tell the story of Mac's turnaround of a perennial 3-9 team at Colorado State and you know it.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Urban Creyer took over a 2-9 team and we went 16-6 at BG in two years then he went 22-2 at Utah (a 3-9 the year before). He won three championships in four years. SOS took a laughingtock team in the ACC and won the conference.

That's what championship coaches do. We didn't hire one of those guys. Losers make excuses.

It's definitely wait and see with this guy.

It's also silly for you to act like Colorado State is a dumpster fire. They have the best facilities in what is left of the WAC. They had numerous 10 win seasons in the last decade and were a winning team the majority of the time. They basically had one bad coach and two bad years. They were no Duke or Vandy, no matter how much you try to spin it.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n234389 said:
Urban Creyer took over a 2-9 team and we went 16-6 at BG in two years then he went 22-2 at Utah (who as 3-9 the year before). He won three championships in four years.

SOS took a laughingtock team in the ACC and won the conference.

That's what championship coaches do. We didn't hire one of those guys.

You got one of those type guys in your back pocket? They a few and far between, my man.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, I couldn't find any for half price either.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n234389 said:
That's what championship coaches do. We didn't hire one of those guys.

I've considered that. I want to give the guy the opportunity to prove himself. But it's become quite clear that Foley's hiring agenda focuses more heavily on personality and family values and squeaky clean image than the nuts-and-bolts football aspect of it all. We hire good citizens to groom good citizens, and at bargain basement prices. That doesn't always translate into the best product on the field. I like McElwain. I really want to see him succeed. But if he doesn't, I don't even want to think about how far back we'll have been set. These are risky times for the program.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n234391 said:
Yeah, I couldn't find any for half price either.

Dammit Law, a $7 million buyout ain't half price.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
LagoonGator68;n234397 said:

You are aware we're not financing McElwain's entire buyout.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n234399]

You are aware we're not financing McElwain's entire buyout.[/QUOTE]

Of course, but boosters will be quick to reimburse him if he wins big.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
LagoonGator68;n234397 said:

He had no intention of paying that. He thought he'd strut in and flash his horse teeth smile and 1 million that they'd snatch up immediately. By the time they laughed at him, then the publicity of it all had him over a barrel.

3 mil a year is half price for a championship coach.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n234404 said:
He had no intention of paying that. He thought he'd strut in and waive 1 million that they'd snatch up immediately. By the time they laughed at him, then the publicity of it all had him over a barrel.

3 mil a year is half price for a championship coach.

So, give me the names of your "full price" coaches that he could have hired.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
:yawn: we've been through this. I'm not wedded to any person, but when Bama and Michigan hired, their championship coaches weren't "available". When Texas, USC, and Penn State filled their slots, they hired proven guys.

We hire like Kintucky and act surprised when we get the same results that they do.

I hope he does ok, but there is no denying he is a huge risk.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
LagoonGator68;n234403 said:
Of course, but boosters will be quick to reimburse him if he wins big.

I'd pay full price 100% of the time if I had the benefit of hindsight. :lol:

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n234409 said:
:yawn: we've been through this. I'm not wedded to any person, but when Bama and Michigan hired, their championship coaches weren't "available". When Texas, USC, and Penn State filled their slots, they hired proven guys.

We hire like Kintucky and act surprised when we get the same results that they do.

They are all huge risks, ask Alabama who ran through 8 or so after Bear Bryant.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n234409 said:

I would take Mac before Sarkisian, Franklin or Strong. Harbaugh went to his alma mater.

But, enough of this, I'm done.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That raises an interesting question. Let's assume Muschamp gets fired after 2013. Does Foley go after Strong or Franklin?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.