Andrew Spivey's perspective on the Gators' new coaching staff

GatorGriff

May 29, 2015
Law98gator;n234545 said:
Yes, they too went through a period of hiring third tier guys and hoping for the best.

It's cheaper to just pay up front for the best than to constantly pay buyouts and pay two losers at one time.

Just curious but who do you think Foley should have hired instead of Mac?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Bernardo de la Paz;n234565 said:
In my view there are only two guys that are a sure thing that it would make sense to write a blank check to: Saban and Meyer. The amount of money we would have had to throw at either one of those guys would have been historic.

^This! There are no other home run hires in CFB.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Bernardo de la Paz;n234565 said:
In my view there are only two guys that are a sure thing that it would make sense to write a blank check to: Saban and Meyer. The amount of money we would have had to throw at either one of those guys would have been historic.

We we had him in a forever job and adultery effed it up.

Let's see how the Nulls handle it.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
GatorGriff;n234574 said:
I feel like these articles get written every time a new coach is hired. I'm pretty sure there were some articles like this written about Muschamp when he was first hired. How he had all this energy and how it was great because Meyer's staff had no energy at the end and it was so great to have a new staff with all the players fired up. I like Mac and I hope he succeeds but these last couple years have really made me a realist. So I don't really get to fired up about these kind of articles anymore.

Yes somewhat propaganda and irrational desires.

NoGaGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2014
Let's just hope McElwain is the real deal for UF and the rants move back to reviling the rivals.

I'm concerned that this year will be a tough one with such a callow Oline but I would expect recruiting to shore that up after this year and UF will finally be back on a level playing field.

Mac is a proven offensive coach and hopefully the D coaching can at least maintain or improve from Mr. Midline.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
VulcanAlex;n234566 said:
Not to mention no matter how much money you might offer them their current employers would at least match it.
We should have called just to force each school to pony up another 2 or 3 million. :rotfl:

It worked with Stoops for a decade or so.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Honestly, IMO if we would have backed the brinks truck up to the dock for Saban, I still don't think Law would've been happy.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
NoGaGator;n234645 said:
Let's just hope McElwain is the real deal for UF and the rants move back to reviling the rivals.

I'm concerned that this year will be a tough one with such a callow Oline but I would expect recruiting to shore that up after this year and UF will finally be back on a level playing field.

Mac is a proven offensive coach and hopefully the D coaching can at least maintain or improve from Mr. Midline.

So far it's looking that way. Like what Mac is doing. I think the biggest difference will be that he will produce some offense and the coaching will be better than the previous idiot we had. If its possible I think even with the issues on offense (OL) Mac will produce better than what was on the field last year. Just have that feeling. But then again, Musdump effed it up so much it won't be too hard to improve on the pile of :kiffin: he put out there.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n234747 said:
We should have called just to force each school to pony up another 2 or 3 million. :rotfl:

It worked with Stoops for a decade or so.

Who knows that we did not call. Seems like a couple of coaches got raises. I bet Saban is happy and not going anywhere except if he goes insane and tries the NFL again.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
My concern with McElwain right now is that he's recruiting like he's still at CSU. As usual you can't count the first recruiting class for a coach that just got here. But every time we've had a coaching transition they killed it the second year. I've never seen us take this many 2 and 3 star kids. Winning will help his cause but I don't see him making a huge turn-around this year like Spurrier or Meyer did in their second year. And since he's filling up with average players it's going to make each following year that much tougher.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
GatorTAG;n234859 said:
My concern with McElwain right now is that he's recruiting like he's still at CSU. As usual you can't count the first recruiting class for a coach that just got here. But every time we've had a coaching transition they killed it the second year. I've never seen us take this many 2 and 3 star kids. Winning will help his cause but I don't see him making a huge turn-around this year like Spurrier or Meyer did in their second year. And since he's filling up with average players it's going to make each following year that much tougher.

Maybe he's taking 2- and 3-star players because most of the 4- and 5-star players are already taken. Muschamp left this place in a bit of disarray. I think it's early to evaluate McElwain as a recruiter.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
My hope is that he shows something, anything, on the field this year that will temp some 4 and 5 stars guys. But given the online woes I just think its going to be very difficult to be much more than 7-5. Is that enough to make these guys want to come? We'll see. Of course if he goes 10-2 this us all a mute point.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
GatorTAG;n234876 said:
My hope is that he shows something, anything, on the field this year that will temp some 4 and 5 stars guys. But given the online woes I just think its going to be very difficult to be much more than 7-5. Is that enough to make these guys want to come? We'll see. Of course if he goes 10-2 this us all a mute point.

I'm looking for two things, improvement in the W-L column and a change in philosophy. The latter may be just as important if not more. If we put together a winning season AND show we can put points up on the board, Florida football is back and the recruits will come flooding back. That much I can guarantee you.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I hope people haven't forgot what Mac did the last 2 weeks before signing day. We went from 100th to 20th!!! And we got cornerstones at key positions that we had missed on the previous 2 years, Ivey at Oline and Scarlett, McGriff at RB, as well as the best true DE in the country. People need to remember that more than half of the elite HS players don't commit until later in the fall or even until the beginning of the year.

Another thing to consider is Mac and his coaches MAY be looking for players who fit their system instead of just grabbing guys because they are a 4 or 5 star.....How many 4 and 5 star players does Gary Patterson get at TCU? How many 5 stars did GT have when they kicked the snot out of Mullins and MSU has year? Pinkel at Mizzou? UT has had a top 5 class for 2 or 3 years now. How many think they will be anything but average. Hell back in the 90's SOS rarely got better players than FSU or UM but he put top 10 teams and a NC together. Just saying it might be a little early to worry about our recruiting.....

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n234881]

I'm looking for two things, improvement in the W-L column and a change in philosophy. The latter may be just as important if not more. If we put together a winning season AND show we can put points up on the board, Florida football is back and the recruits will come flooding back. That much I can guarantee you. [/QUOTE]

That's what I've said all along...win and they will come. Kids want to see it on the field...just like the fans!

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
Maybe not a home run but Brian Kelly could have been contacted at least and I think we could have persuaded him to come. Let's just hope Ron the tater White I mean coach Mac is a winner.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n234888 said:
That's what I've said all along...win and they will come. Kids want to see it on the field...just like the fans!

It's a mojo thing. We've temporarily lost our mojo. We can get it back, and when we do, it may surprise people how much of it there is.

NoGaGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2014
GatorTAG;n234859 said:

Bama just picked up a commit from a TE out of Ga - 6'5", 220 lbs - and a 3 star. A number of the current 3* commits will end up as 4* by the final rankings. That said, it's frustrating to see how many high-ranked commits the Clown school already has.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator