Arizona Cardinals hire away DC Patrick Toney; Austin Armstrong new DC

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015

This may be the best news out of all of these coaching moves.

On Stadium and Gale, they alluded to Toney and Raymond not getting along due to differences in strategy when it came to the secondary. I expect the secondary play to be much improved this year after this.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member

On Stadium and Gale, they alluded to Toney and Raymond not getting along due to differences in strategy when it came to the secondary. I expect the secondary play to be much improved this year after this.
This is positive news.

Florida's decision to have Raymond coach all defensive backs came shortly after the conclusion of the 2022 season, according to a source, and was not a byproduct of former defensive coordinator and safeties coach Patrick Toney's recent decision to accept a job on Arizona Cardinals' coaching staff.

@oxrageous you hear that? I said it.

Maybe more good news for other replacements coming (not the smucks the "insiders" have been tweeting about)???

Last edited:

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Also says look for Justin Stepp for WR and Eric Keisau for TE.

Animated GIF

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
So glad to hear that Raymond is staying and being given more control over the secondary. Am still freaking thrilled Toney is gone. Now we need someone to coach special teams.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
If I was a head coach, I would find candidates by:

1) Obtain a list of the top 20 [insert unit/ position here] teams in the country.

2) From that list, get rid of the one season wonders.

3) From the remaining, contact them to see interests.

4) From those with interest, do a background check including interviews with former players, coaches and opposing coaches.

5) Individual phone interviews with key coaches on the team to make sure they "fit". Get rid of the ones that don't.

6) Phone/Zoom interview with me.

[edit]
6a) Is the wife hot? If so, 7.

7) Select top 2. Make #1 an offer he can't refuse.

Repeat.

I would NOT start with someone I knew or worked with in my past. If they happened to get through the process and become #1 or #2 , then great.

Last edited:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
If I was a head coach, I would find candidatesby:

1) Obtain a list of the top 20 [insert unit/ position here] teams in the country.

4) From those with interest, do a background check.

5) Individual phone interviews with key coaches on the team to make sure they "fit". Get rid of the ones that don't.

Repeat.

I would NOT start with someone I knew or worked with in my past. If they happened to get through the process and become #1 or #2 , then great.
There's a reason why you're a plumber and not a coach.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
If I was a head coach, I would find candidatesby:

4) From those with interest, do a background check.

Repeat.

I would add a credit check as well. Anyone south of 650, you know you’re dealing with a wild card. Can’t be focused on executing a game plan on Saturday when you’ve got subprime lenders blowing up your cell. If it’s special teams or something, maybe. Nothing else. And anyone north of 820, I’m out on them as well. Most likely zero balls and never had a, “you know what, what the hell?” moment. You need a measure of edge. A solid 660-815 range is what I’d be looking for.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I would add a credit check as well. Anyone south of 650, you know you’re dealing with a wild card. Can’t be focused on executing a game plan on Saturday when you’ve got subprime lenders blowing up your cell. If it’s special teams or something, maybe. Nothing else. And anyone north of 820, I’m out on them as well. Most likely zero balls and never had a, “you know what, what the hell?” moment. You need a measure of edge. A solid 660-815 range is what I’d be looking for.
That reminds me:
6A: Is wife hot? If yes, continue.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
That reminds me:
6A: Is wife hot? If yes, continue.

Great idea. I always wondered what exactly Lsu fans were expecting out of Les Miles. His wife frightens small children. The fact that they managed to squeeze a title out of this guy with her by his side is a miracle in itself.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
jdh has a point - I've never even heard of a head coach hiring an assistant that he worked with before. It's absolute insanity.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
jdh has a point - I've never even heard of a head coach hiring an assistant that he worked with before. It's absolute insanity.

To be fair, between you building R2D2’s and promoting brothels of which you must own a share, I’m not sure how in tune you are to the goings-on of college football. It happens more than you’d think.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Are we nerding?
I learned slide rule sr year in HS. Works surprisingly well. Following year HP introduced the 41CV and I never picked one up since.
Whippersnapper. 7th Grade we had to build a slide rule using log graph paper. My dad bought me a Dietzgen Log-Log Duplex Decitrig rule made of bamboo with ivory covers. Used that until my sophomore year when some tool took it from my desk in Physics class. Replaced it with a K&E plastic version (still have it). In my senior year at the EU (Elite University) the HP 35 was introduced for $450, 1972. No memory and had to use Reverse Polish Notation. Finally bought a TI-55 to do flight planning in 1975. But, I still have two circular slide rules in the attic along with the K&E.

Last edited:

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member

I can only imagine what it must have been like to coach a bunch of kids up to play excellent man and zone coverage, only to have little toney back them up 10 yds from the LOS on 3rd and short time after time.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Whippersnapper. 7th Grade we had to build a slide rule using log graph paper. My dad bought me a Dietzgen Log-Log Duplex Decitrig rule made of bamboo with ivory covers. Used that until my sophomore year when some tool took it from my desk in Physics class. Replaced it with a K&E plastic version (still have it). In my senior year at the EU (Elite University) the HP 35 was introduced for $450, 1972. No memory and had to use Reverse Polish Notation. Finally bought a TI-55 to do flight planning in 1975. But, I still have two circular slide rules in the attic along with the K&E.
I came from a very frugal family. Mother nearly died when I told her a needed a $400 calculator.
Yeah the old flight computers were glorified slide rules. I was still using them in the 80's but I imagine they are museum pieces now.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Everybody knows message board posters know more about football than actual football people. Duh...

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
To be fair, between you building R2D2’s and promoting brothels of which you must own a share, I’m not sure how in tune you are to the goings-on of college football. It happens more than you’d think.
Resin outgassing strikes again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator