Arizona Cardinals hire away DC Patrick Toney; Austin Armstrong new DC

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
More thoughts from Donkey:

He doesn't know if the guy we hired is any good???
"We don't even KNOW who is hired. It's still just a rumor. The dude is still in Tuscaloosa. Maybe he is negotiating for CoDC up there or something. Somehow.

We also don't know what else is going on behind the scenes. Lots of rumors about Raymond. I don't believe he has ever been a DC but he's been around some damn good defenses. Maybe he is going to be co DC here if we hire the young dude. Raymond does seem to be a lot more than just an elite recruiter. Very impressive coach. No clue how LSU let him leave.

It's really hard to know ANYTHING about staff hires. I wasn't impressed by the Brian Johnson hire either. His stats were terrible as OC before and he seemed like just another bootlicker off the Mullen tree (played at Utah under Mullen, coached under Mullen at Cowbell) . But he has been the only person in 19 years to convince Mullen to change his passing play calls. The only time in 19 years that passing wasn't just screens and 9s. Mullen still stuck with options even with Trask at QB but still... it was a major accomplishment and the only functional offense we've had in two decades.

>>Switching defensive schemes would NOT necessarily be bad because:

There's not a damn thing wrong with the scheme. Toney had the #9 defense just the year before. And frankly, it's 99% Saban anyway.

I'm not sure exactly WTF happened last year. Watching it from an X's and O's standpoint, you'd swear it was a different person calling the plays.

If I were making an uneducated guess, it would be something like a combination of:

1: There just weren't pieces on the roster. You can't play 40-60 pounds undersized on the DL, a safety and a FIU player at linebacker, and whatever the **** that has been at safety the year (and the five before it).

2. Toney just didn't scare anyone and once you lose that boss/subordinate, it was clearest with Brenton Cox just doing whatever in the hell he wanted on about 50% of the plays, but I doubt that was all of it.

3. Because of 1 and 2, his playcalling became... not sure how to describe it. Playing 10-12 yards deep on third and 6, playing man defense on obvious running downs, "threatening pressure" but never actually bringing it, etc. Just... totally lost. Maybe he was giving up, just trying not to get Miller burned in pass coverage or giving up 400 yards rushing by our weak ass and laughable run defense. I just don't know.

I did not mean to imply that we don't need a change in PLAYCALLING. Of course we do. I mean we don't need to change the scheme of the defense, the calls, reads, keys, formations, adjustments etc. It is sound, and hopefully the players know a lot more. If we change now, next year is tossed also. And there are few decent other options in defensive schemes anyway. Most of the NCAA and all of the NFL play this Belichick/Sabanesque defense for a reason.

What do you want? Conf USA (and WVU) special 3-3-5? Old school 4-3 zone base like Randy Shannon and Charley Strong? Base Cover 1 from basically... I guess only Durkin? Neither Strong nor Durkin have had even the slightest recent success for a reason. They just don't have an answer for modern offense.

It doesn't matter much. Bammer just scoured the country and ended up with 3x retread vagabond Steele coming off a 5-7 season. SCUM hired some dude I'd never heard of who didn't even coach a game at Houston. There aren't many good options anyway. Think we would do better than them?

OK. Im not bothering Ox for a few weeks. Pile on, boys."

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member

"We don't even KNOW who is hired. It's still just a rumor. The dude is still in Tuscaloosa. Maybe he is negotiating for CoDC up there or something. Somehow.

We also don't know what else is going on behind the scenes. Lots of rumors about Raymond. I don't believe he has ever been a DC but he's been around some damn good defenses. Maybe he is going to be co DC here if we hire the young dude. Raymond does seem to be a lot more than just an elite recruiter. Very impressive coach. No clue how LSU let him leave.

It's really hard to know ANYTHING about staff hires. I wasn't impressed by the Brian Johnson hire either. His stats were terrible as OC before and he seemed like just another bootlicker off the Mullen tree (played at Utah under Mullen, coached under Mullen at Cowbell) . But he has been the only person in 19 years to convince Mullen to change his passing play calls. The only time in 19 years that passing wasn't just screens and 9s. Mullen still stuck with options even with Trask at QB but still... it was a major accomplishment and the only functional offense we've had in two decades.

There's not a damn thing wrong with the scheme. Toney had the #9 defense just the year before. And frankly, it's 99% Saban anyway.

I'm not sure exactly WTF happened last year. Watching it from an X's and O's standpoint, you'd swear it was a different person calling the plays.

If I were making an uneducated guess, it would be something like a combination of:

1: There just weren't pieces on the roster. You can't play 40-60 pounds undersized on the DL, a safety and a FIU player at linebacker, and whatever the **** that has been at safety the year (and the five before it).

2. Toney just didn't scare anyone and once you lose that boss/subordinate, it was clearest with Brenton Cox just doing whatever in the hell he wanted on about 50% of the plays, but I doubt that was all of it.

3. Because of 1 and 2, his playcalling became... not sure how to describe it. Playing 10-12 yards deep on third and 6, playing man defense on obvious running downs, "threatening pressure" but never actually bringing it, etc. Just... totally lost. Maybe he was giving up, just trying not to get Miller burned in pass coverage or giving up 400 yards rushing by our weak ass and laughable run defense. I just don't know.

I did not mean to imply that we don't need a change in PLAYCALLING. Of course we do. I mean we don't need to change the scheme of the defense, the calls, reads, keys, formations, adjustments etc. It is sound, and hopefully the players know a lot more. If we change now, next year is tossed also. And there are few decent other options in defensive schemes anyway. Most of the NCAA and all of the NFL play this Belichick/Sabanesque defense for a reason.

What do you want? Conf USA (and WVU) special 3-3-5? Old school 4-3 zone base like Randy Shannon and Charley Strong? Base Cover 1 from basically... I guess only Durkin? Neither Strong nor Durkin have had even the slightest recent success for a reason. They just don't have an answer for modern offense.

It doesn't matter much. Bammer just scoured the country and ended up with 3x retread vagabond Steele coming off a 5-7 season. SCUM hired some dude I'd never heard of who didn't even coach a game at Houston. There aren't many good options anyway. Think we would do better than them?

Lets put a pin in it until the hires are official and all announcements are made.

At the end of my last rant, I looked up the current coaches roles (not updated yet) and realized Raymond was already Assistant Head Coach. (I included that tidbit on the post). Him taking over the secondary will, hopefully, eliminate the dumbassery we saw back there last year.

Then the question becomes who does the playcalling?

We'll see.

The days of 90s and 2000s D are over (for now). Everything is cyclical. The 4-2-5 (and variants) as a base seems to be the goto but it gets complicated and it's really difficult for players to grasp (and me as a fan). It can lead to a lot of big plays. And you really have to have the right players at OLB/Edge and ILB (plus the big uglies). (yes... I'm probably calling them the wrong names)

My point with this is we are, essentially, starting from scratch, scheme wise, from a player standpoint. Very few snaps. (greener than 2007 with less talent). The DL and Secondary coach have a year working together, so there's that.

Last edited:

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Wait....Swonkey referred to Trask as....TRASK?

We Got Him GIF

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I heard Shane Matthews say during the playoffs, “No one can play defense anymore, the way the rules are now.”

That was a bit of hyperbole, but it seems to to depend so much on whether or not you can affect the QB. A competent QB will pick apart a soft defense. And you still have to stop the run. Alignment is dictated by the offensive formation, so your scheme better get the right guys on the field in the right spot fast every down.

We haven’t scared a QB since Greenard & Zuniga. Until we do, every QB will continue to see Florida as “career day” on his schedule.

Of course, we can’t stop the run either. Hopefully the big guys we’ve brought in will help with that. Lots of work to do.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I heard Shane Matthews say during the playoffs, “No one can play defense anymore, the way the rules are now.”

That was a bit of hyperbole, but it seems to to depend so much on whether or not you can affect the QB. A competent QB will pick apart a soft defense. And you still have to stop the run. Alignment is dictated by the offensive formation, so your scheme better get the right guys on the field in the right spot fast every down.

We haven’t scared a QB since Greenard & Zuniga. Until we do, every QB will continue to see Florida as “career day” on his schedule.

Of course, we can’t stop the run either. Hopefully the big guys we’ve brought in will help with that. Lots of work to do.
Key: The defense has to "affect" the QB. It has to be a consistent mix of things or dominance in an area. It's not about sacks (imo)... it's about making the QB throw early or off balance or into disguised coverage or just making each throw a challenge so, as the game unfolds, the QB just gets tired and loses focus.

We take his drink.orders, fluff his pillows and leave a mint after each play.

Run defense? Tackling? Apparently, that's just too violent. Our elite nerds would rather sit down and discuss it over tea.

:lol:

Last edited:

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

C’mon Law - just come back already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator