Athlon Ranks Next Year's QB's

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It's clear that Will felt he was being shown the door by Butters. His comments are as follows:

4. It wasn't a smooth transfer process. Grier said it "felt like he was being pushed away" from the Gators football program and accused McElwain of telling reporters that he was eligible to practice with the team while sending a different message behind closed doors.

I said, the exact quote, "I just want to know what your plans are for the future. Are you going to bring in more guys? Am I a guy you don't see playing here in the future?"

He said, "You're welcome here in the future, you're a Gator, but I'm not telling you my plans. I'm not giving you any guarantees."

Two weeks later, I decided to have one more meeting, man-to-man, and ask McElwain what the future held. I kept asking him what I could do to make it work there. He finally ended up saying, "Maybe a fresh start isn't the worst thing." He said that, and I said, "So I guess that's the move."

Grier also alleged that McElwain was two hours late for the first meeting because he was out recruiting quarterback Feleipe Franks. McElwain did not confirm or deny that claim when contacted by Bleacher Report.

Same story Chad is already selling, neither McElwain or the Griers are telling the full truth. Both their stories are to fit there narrative. I like how these quotes are without what is said before our after them, without true context. Much like Butters story.

Last edited:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That's a bit of a reach.....One guy was a jerk that drank too much, another spiked his protein shake with a little extra creatine......and the other was a multiple murderer.....

The only person who has said Creatine is Chad... if he was just creatine, why not have it tested.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm more than familiar with all of Johnson's f vck ups and lapses of mental awareness...... However it takes someone with at least half an arm to get the ball to the receivers and despite f vcking up plenty of times he had his share of good games.....Your reference to Johnsons being a headcase is precisely why I mentioned him as a comparison to that of WG. Both had talent but didn't always have their head in the best place....Both were also FAR and away 5x better than what we have now.
LSU in '97

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Wasn't Will Grier a 5star Qb? Seems he was rated the #3 Pro Style Qb in his class...... Just thinking...

Grier was 4 star 2nd rated dual threat quarterback (not pro style), and 46 prospect over all. He is the most physically talented quarterback we have recruited since Cam Newton.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I was at every Gator game (home and away) in which Doug Johnson ever played. I have also known him outside of sports. Doug Johnson's biggest issue is that he is a first class jerk. The man was a disease on the team. He went out and got so drunk he had to be carried out of the bar right before the LSU game he lost. His immaturity and me first attitude was a big problem in the locker room. He hasn't changed a bit as he aged. A few years ago he got in a drunken fight and sent a guy to the hospital.

By the way, in the FSU game that was referenced Johnson was so incapable of running the offense that Spurrier resorted to rotating QBs every play for the first time. Taylor and Quezzie won that game despite Johnson.

2222, is Johnson a jerk, yep... and... you think he is the only starting qb at Florida who was a jerk? He was immature his freshman year, without a doubt. You also know who was a jerk and had a underage problem with alcohol Grossman. When you have that kind of talent, and they both had fantastic arm talent, you get used to being the big man on campus. You can come off as kind of an ass. Wuerfell and Tebow were two of the nicest Florida athletes I had the pleasure of meeting, but they were special dudes.

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
So Grier himself admits Butters wouldn't give him any guarantees
Where did he say that???? He ask what the future held..... I suspect Mac got pissed because the Griers wanted to know when he was going to bring in a good OC...:lol2:
Again no D1 CFB player is going to believe that he is "guaranteed"a starting spot....That doesn't even happen in HS anymore.
Let's face it Mac bungled this thing in an awful way because he thought between LDR, Franks and possibly Eason he had the QB spot under control.

You are correct about him just lying anyway, though. If we would have had WG the second half of last season we wouldn't have suffered a crushing defeat at the hands of Bert and we probably would have beat the Clowns which would have assured us of a top 5 recruiting class and final ranking.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
2222, is Johnson a jerk, yep... and... you think he is the only starting qb at Florida who was a jerk? He was immature his freshman year, without a doubt. You also know who was a jerk and had a underage problem with alcohol Grossman. When you have that kind of talent, and they both had fantastic arm talent, you get used to being the big man on campus. You can come off as kind of an ass. Wuerfell and Tebow were two of the nicest Florida athletes I had the pleasure of meeting, but they were special dudes.
Yes, Grossman also had his off field moments which is another reason I said in my post that WG would have probably been somewhere between the two, Johnson and Grossman..

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Where did he say that???? He ask what the future held..... I suspect Mac got pissed because the Griers wanted to know when he was going to bring in a good OC...:lol2:
Again no D1 CFB player is going to believe that he is "guaranteed"a starting spot....That doesn't even happen in HS anymore.
Let's face it Mac bungled this thing in an awful way because he thought between LDR, Franks and possibly Eason he had the QB spot under control.

You are correct about him just lying anyway, though. If we would have had WG the second half of last season we wouldn't have suffered a crushing defeat at the hands of Bert and we probably would have beat the Clowns which would have assured us of a top 5 recruiting class and final ranking.

http://www.summerseve.com/

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yes, Grossman also had his off field moments which is another reason I said in my post that WG would have probably been somewhere between the two, Johnson and Grossman..

Remember why he was suspended for the first quarter of the Orange Bowl....

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
yep, let's get pissy about what happened 20 years ago...

:bananawave:

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Grier would've surpassed all other QBs to ever play at the college level if Mac didn't kick him out. He was such a humble kid and to this day I can't figure out why Mac would have the nutrition staff supplying him (without his knowledge, of course) a banned substance. He and his dad were the best things to ever happen for Gator Nation and Mac fuggin ruined it!!!!

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Grier would've surpassed all other QBs to ever play at the college level if Mac didn't kick him out. He was such a humble kid and to this day I can't figure out why Mac would have the nutrition staff supplying him (without his knowledge, of course) a banned substance. He and his dad were the best things to ever happen for Gator Nation and Mac fuggin ruined it!!!!

I know right? I heard Mac actually bought the stuff and gave it to Grier telling him it was ok to take and then reported him and set up the urine test so we could loose our best QB. After all, Mac really wants us to lose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.