Basketball Recruiting

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Here is a bit of recruiting info on our current class. Rivals has our class ranked low and no players in the top 100...but they see the potential with everyone. ESPN has us top 10 and 2-3 top 100 players.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/conference-report-potential-sleepers-by-league

Here is the Florida part:

It has become a high mark year of sorts for the SEC as a whole on the recruiting trail. Florida, despite sitting in the middle half of the SEC’s class rankings, has accumulated a variety of talent. Though none can be found within our top 100, there are a few that could surprise and make giant statements throughout their college playing careers.

Isaiah Stokes is a mammoth of a big man with a feathery touch out to the three-point line, while Michael Okauru could become a better rounded Kasey Hill in Gainesville. Both should contribute early on, but it is Chase Johnson, a 6-foot-9 power forward from West Virginia, who could really thrive under Mike White’s watch.

Johnson is a good athlete who has range out to 20 feet on his jumper. He may receive his fair share of Chandler Parsons comparisons before his days end at Florida. Clearly, potential is not an issue. He didn’t get the vote to be ranked within our top 150, but Johnson might be one of the more underrated pickups this past fall and someone who could turn into an all-league member.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
No mention of Ballard? Isn't he the highest ranked of the recruits? Ok I clicked through and see this is a sleeper column so naturally the only ranked player in the class is not mentioned.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Espn is who I would go by as far as basketball goes

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
No mention of Ballard? Isn't he the highest ranked of the recruits? Ok I clicked through and see this is a sleeper column so naturally the only ranked player in the class is not mentioned.
Rivals has Ballard as 133...Espn had him around 60 (I think)

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Rivals has Ballard as 133...Espn had him around 60 (I think)
It's not an exact science, that's for sure. Gotta go with what you see on tape and when you have a chance to scout a player live to determine if he's got the skills and will fit the role you want them to fill.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
It's not an exact science, that's for sure. Gotta go with what you see on tape and when you have a chance to scout a player live to determine if he's got the skills and will fit the role you want them to fill.
True...but 133 seems way off base from what I have seen and other sites have. Who knows though until they play in a real game though

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Ballard was rated pretty highly when he committed to UF. He did not have a stellar summer in AAU ball last year and dropped a bit.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
BTW, I wonder what has happened about Yves Pons? There was a boomlet of news about him out of the blue and then nothing.

Also which do people think would be better if UF has one more open scholarship, Pons or a graduate transfer so UF has two open scholarships for sure for 2018?

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
BTW, I wonder what has happened about Yves Pons? There was a boomlet of news about him out of the blue and then nothing.

Also which do people think would be better if UF has one more open scholarship, Pons or a graduate transfer so UF has two open scholarships for sure for 2018?
I haven't heard anything on Pons in awhile. Seems like he might stay in Europe.

I think it would depend on the grad transfer on who would we be better off with. If Pons can develop a better jumpshot....Probably Pons

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
We are in his top 12... anybody know if we have a chance? I really want some big guys, but I won't turn down a 6'8 highly rated guard.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
We are in his top 12... anybody know if we have a chance? I really want some big guys, but I won't turn down a 6'8 highly rated guard.

We used to be the favorite for him but now that we signed keyonte Johnson i would doubt it. Not to mention we're in way more need of a big man

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
We used to be the favorite for him but now that we signed keyonte Johnson i would doubt it. Not to mention we're in way more need of a big man

He would be a big ala Stone if he were to come to UF. That last I saw OU was favored.

PhD Gator

UF Ph.D. 2011
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

Looks like he committed to Texas Tech today based on his recruiting profile.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I wonder if UF has any shot at getting in on Shareef O'Neal now that he has decommitted from Zona? He is a PF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.