Billy’s Buyout

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I appreciate your input, but why must Billy shyt the bed for 2 years before adding the OC and ST Coach? That's just retarded.
Yeah, that's the head scratcher. Of course he knows more about football than me, but I know STs and scoring points wins games. Seems like a gargantuan misstep, although I realize due to his relative success in a different league, he thought he had the OC part taken care of.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
Good lord, at least I'm either drunk or blatantly trolling when I make a post this dumb....
Lies No GIF

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
BN will get it right. I would not be a fan if I thought he was going to try and make the SEC come to him and play like whatever league he came from.

He'll get it right if he doesn't allow ego or stubbornness to prevent himself from seeing things as they really are. Even Saban had to come to grips with the fact that the game was getting away from him, which led to him bringing in Kiffin in 2014 to install a more modern offense. It'll take an act of selflessness.

And look at Bama now, developing one solid NFL quarterback after another because of Saban's vision and courage. I'll bet he never knew how easy it would become to recruit great young quarterbacks. He had to learn to think outside the box.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
He'll get it right if he doesn't allow ego or stubbornness to prevent himself from seeing things as they really are. Even Saban had to come to grips with the fact that the game was getting away from him, which led to him bringing in Kiffin in 2014 to install a more modern offense. It'll take an act of selflessness.

And look at Bama now, developing one solid NFL quarterback after another because of Saban's vision and courage. I'll bet he never knew how easy it would become to recruit great young quarterbacks. He had to learn to think outside the box.
First thing you gotta do in order to think outside the box, is...to realize your thinking in the box.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Shane Matthews is tearing up Billy’s play calling.

He said he was excited about this team because of the deep passing concepts that they did during summer practice. He said other than the deep Crossing route, they run virtual none of them during the game. He said they haven’t run 4 wideouts all year.

It’s a slow paced offense and doesn’t attack down the field at all. He said it makes no sense because that’s not what they did during their summer practice sessions. He said the game day play calling is super conservative.

Just as I alluded to earlier, he said there will not be a new OC this year, unless he turns over play calling duties to Callaway.
Poor guy. Heard he lost like 5 cartons of cigarettes on Saturdays game

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Running into an 8 and 9 man box snap after snap while getting 1 or 2 pre-snap penalties so we get into 3rd and California, then throwing a sideways pass in the flat while whiffing on blocking assignments absolutely screams tater gets it and just needs more time.

And according to Tharber, if you had played college football you would understand that all of this is positive and an indicator of good things to come.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Did old boy really list being polite as an accomplishment for Sunbelt Billy?
Yeah that’s what we need. He can’t coach for **** but he’s a real sweetheart . Get that horse**** out of here .

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Frustrating. Is that the best he has in his playbook? Did we actually ever let the end around have the ball?
I'm sure on the 348th time we get in that situation Karl will do that....maybe not....It would probably be irrelevant anyway since an illegal procedure call would negate the 1st down.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Running into an 8 and 9 man box snap after snap while getting 1 or 2 pre-snap penalties so we get into 3rd and California, then throwing a sideways pass in the flat while whiffing on blocking assignments absolutely screams tater gets it and just needs more time.
Donkey nailed it when he called him Butters lite.

When MacNuss and CheesburgerChamp had a more imaginative playbook, you know you’re sucking hind teet.

I never thought I’d see the day I saw an offense that made Brent Pease’s look like the Oilers run n shoot by comparison

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Did old boy really list being polite as an accomplishment for Sunbelt Billy?
Yeah that’s what we need. He can’t coach for **** but he’s a real sweetheart . Get that horse**** out of here .
We've only ever had two true success story coaches at this university. I guess you could technically count three if you're looking at the '80s decade that landed us on probation. Out of those individuals, which one would anyone categorize as nice and polite?

Nice guys finish last.

tharber

Oct 10, 2020
Where do I begin here.

Not one single person thought we had a decent OL coming into this year as it was absolutely ignored by Mullen. We have no talented studs on the right side of the line but plenty of depth to build on. No OL means piss poor running attack. Mertz is more than capable of throwing the ball but to who? RP is covered at all times because he is our only real threat now that WIlson is out. Yes we have some great young kids that are getting snaps and that will help but when the majority of receivers have never played a game it takes a bit to get acclamated the the speed of the game. Hence my comment of have you ever played the game before. This is not sand lot football here kids, D1 players are quick no matter what school they play for. You can not expect a kid fresh out of high school to come out and be a stud game 1. Thats my point. Then these young kids need to undersand the defenses they are playing against, and know where to go once they get the ball. For example where is the weakest point to attack when faced with a 4-3 defense? How about a 3-4 front? Then whats the Miami 3-4? How can you attack a cover 2 which is a basic defense that most teams use against us right now because we lack the speed and skill at receiver to make a difference. Cover 2 is basically zone for those who don't know and it almost always leaves the short passes open underneath. Thats why most of our play calling are the dink and dunks not bombs. The receivers from high school are used to just out running the defense down field and catching a pass, its hard to know how to fake a move and throw your opponent off your route with kids that are as fast as you. If our receivers stay covered up, then what? Short passes, but thats not what wins ball games. A defenive coordinator knows this and they will throw everything they have at us to prevent the run and as we can see, it works.

As for Mullen, I did not like the hire to begin with and could tell after year 2 even though we were winning he was not a HBC. He doesn't have the organizational skill set and the players did not trust him as he failed to keep his word and don't even get me started on Grantham. Kids were running wild, getting in trouble and there was no disclpline in any aspect of the team. This again relates to my comments about BN and why kids and their families want to play for him. If you beleive in your coach, for the most part there is nothing you will not do for him. He's like a second father for most out there. You do not want to fail him, that in turn builds the same trust for your team mates. We lack the later part right now but its coming.

So, like it or not I stand by my thoughts. We will get better this year, BN will correct his mistakes and next year I will be saying I told you so.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Where do I begin here.

Not one single person thought we had a decent OL coming into this year as it was absolutely ignored by Mullen. We have no talented studs on the right side of the line but plenty of depth to build on. No OL means piss poor running attack. Mertz is more than capable of throwing the ball but to who? RP is covered at all times because he is our only real threat now that WIlson is out. Yes we have some great young kids that are getting snaps and that will help but when the majority of receivers have never played a game it takes a bit to get acclamated the the speed of the game. Hence my comment of have you ever played the game before. This is not sand lot football here kids, D1 players are quick no matter what school they play for. You can not expect a kid fresh out of high school to come out and be a stud game 1. Thats my point. Then these young kids need to undersand the defenses they are playing against, and know where to go once they get the ball. For example where is the weakest point to attack when faced with a 4-3 defense? How about a 3-4 front? Then whats the Miami 3-4? How can you attack a cover 2 which is a basic defense that most teams use against us right now because we lack the speed and skill at receiver to make a difference. Cover 2 is basically zone for those who don't know and it almost always leaves the short passes open underneath. Thats why most of our play calling are the dink and dunks not bombs. The receivers from high school are used to just out running the defense down field and catching a pass, its hard to know how to fake a move and throw your opponent off your route with kids that are as fast as you. If our receivers stay covered up, then what? Short passes, but thats not what wins ball games. A defenive coordinator knows this and they will throw everything they have at us to prevent the run and as we can see, it works.

As for Mullen, I did not like the hire to begin with and could tell after year 2 even though we were winning he was not a HBC. He doesn't have the organizational skill set and the players did not trust him as he failed to keep his word and don't even get me started on Grantham. Kids were running wild, getting in trouble and there was no disclpline in any aspect of the team. This again relates to my comments about BN and why kids and their families want to play for him. If you beleive in your coach, for the most part there is nothing you will not do for him. He's like a second father for most out there. You do not want to fail him, that in turn builds the same trust for your team mates. We lack the later part right now but its coming.

So, like it or not I stand by my thoughts. We will get better this year, BN will correct his mistakes and next year I will be saying I told you so.

Let’s hope. I’ll show up either way and support the team as I have my whole life. But I don’t have the near the optimism I once did, and the digging in during press conferences only diminishes it further. To me, it doesn’t sound like someone who will correct mistakes, or even acknowledges they exist at all. To me, again as much as I hope all you suggest happens and do think we’ll be more talented top to bottom next year, any notion of changes appears to be baseless speculation at the moment.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
There's little doubt that our roster still lacks in depth and ought to improve over the next year. What do you say, however, when the assessment turns to game-to-game improvement? We made the same maddening mental mistakes against Kentucky that we made against Utah to start the year. We gave up almost 300 yards to a fifth-year running back that hardly anyone knows of. We missed tackles, botched assignments, lined up 13 on defense and committed a personal foul on fourth-and-10, paving the way on the very next play for Ray Davis to run 75 yards for a Kentucky score.

It's hard to imagine a better Florida football team next year when you can't see improvement week to week this year. Is it expecting too much to want to see progress in the second year? How long does Napier get a pass?

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Sitting around bitching about not being undefeated is not the way to be a fan.
First, Tharber, appreciate you being around, notwithstanding my pythy post of a meme after your first post on this topic, which I'll get to below.

Separately, I don't think you should have been outed here by specific name, even if you are ok with it, absent you doing so explicitly. You chose to give a lot of details but presumably left out your name for the last 3 years for a reason. I think your input here could be very unique, but the experience at a higher level doesn't change others ability to observe - though certainly your perspectives could be unique.

BUT, to the quote above - this is not what people are doing, especially those who predicted losses early on (as most did here). Rather, we are bitching here about the process, lack of improvement, play designs, etc. that are openly visible.

Even some of the early bashing of Armstrong after that game has subsided upon some reflection (subject to seeing how the rest of the season goes). But, Billy as an OC and clock manager has already shown us who he is and as SoFla has observed, he projects publicly as though he thinks that is fine.

That is where we disagree.
BN has this team on the right path, maybe not an immediate upward path but they are going the right direction.

THIS. Right here is where the bitching is focused. Like you, others have acknowledge the improvements off the field, but on the field this is very difficult to argue and you have not provided anything tangible on this front. I would argue the defense could be one such area if it reverts to pre-UT form. But, Billy's responsibilities and odds choices (being OC, QB coach, no ST coach, and 2 OL coaches) are currently an 0-fer both on the field and off it (how's the OL recruiting going).

Spend sometime around HS football and there is a buzz about FL that has not been there since UM left.

Here, I do some, and I fully agree. It is intangible, but it exists/ed. We will see how it lasts if the on-field product repeats itself on offense over the rest of the season. Again, that impact is a large part of the rebuttal you saw to your first post.

BN has not caused any embarrasement to the University, our players or the Alumni.

Disagree that the UK game (both years), Vandy loss, and others are not embarrassment. But, as to off-field embarrassment, that is such a low bar to potentially clear, that when paying $11 million it becomes irrelevant until it arises.

He can improve his play calling, I agree. He needs a OC and I think he will learn that but who is he going to hire? He needs a special team coach with some passion and great attention to detail.

And, this is exactly the point in response to your first point. Despite your legit experience, many here also came to this conclusion before your input. That is the greatest highlight of the response to your first post. We see it like you do.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
First, Tharber, appreciate you being around, notwithstanding my pythy post of a meme after your first post on this topic, which I'll get to below.

Separately, I don't think you should have been outed here by specific name, even if you are ok with it, absent you doing so explicitly. You chose to give a lot of details but presumably left out your name for the last 3 years for a reason.
Lots of stuff in your post I agree with, but this ^^^^^^ especially. In case anyone has forgotten Ox's rules for this place, here's an excerpt from Rule #3 which states in part, "Any posting of personal information about another member is strictly forbidden. Everyone knows what the lines are - don't cross them."

Perhaps a certain poster could go back and delete his post and the mods could delete any others mentioning tharber's identity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator