Billy Donovan's contract extended

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
alcoholica;n202717 said:
A ton of smoke around him leaving. I think he's gone. He's just looking for the right situation. He almost went to Orlando a few years back and they are looking again. Given how they handled his request to return to UF, he has to have a lot of respect for that organization.

:fistbump:

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n202657 said:
Going 16-17 after four straight trips to the Elite 8 or better will frustrate a man.

Yes of course it would, but just who would be responsible? He chooses who to offer, he manages the process, he has some restraints but not as many as the NBA would provide. It comes down to what you really want to do and if you want a different challenge.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n202719 said:
No chance he goes to Orlando. That team is a dumpster fire.
Not only that, I think he wants no part of the media drudging up the 2007 fiasco, and you know they will.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n202937]
Not only that, I think he wants no part of the media drudging up the 2007 fiasco, and you know they will. [/QUOTE]

If he was concerned about the media, do you think he'd let these rumors hang around? :headshake:

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
URGatorBait;n202939 said:
If he was concerned about the media, do you think he'd let these rumors hang around? :headshake:

I don't think that anything he might say would tramp down the rumors, in fact if he denied them that would just make another round of rumors about the denial.

Now he might be interested he has indicated such in the past. I would be very disappointed in him if he is telling players that he is coming back and thinking of moving on. I hope and expect that he is more ethical than that.
Time will tell something.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The presumption around here (and rightly so) seems to be he'd go to a non-contender looking to rebuild. One club not needing to rebuild and which may be interested in his services is the Bulls. The relationship between coach Tom Thibodeau and Bulls management has grown icy over the heavy minutes doled out to the starters and the general feeling that he wears out his team during the regular season. The Bulls have a talented and relatively young nucleus, a top-flight point guard (when he's healthy) in Rose and Thibs has them geared to play swarming team defense -- all items that are sure to attract Donovan. As if all that weren't enough, Donovan would be reunited with one of his favorite UF players, Jo Noah.

If the Bulls exit early from the playoffs, don't be surprised if Thibs is dismissed and speculation swirls about a Donovan candidacy.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n203198]The presumption around here (and rightly so) seems to be he'd go to a non-contender looking to rebuild. One club not needing to rebuild and which may be interested in his services is the Bulls. The relationship between coach Tom Thibodeau and Bulls management has grown icy over the heavy minutes doled out to the starters and the general feeling that he wears out his team during the regular season. The Bulls have a talented and relatively young nucleus, a top-flight point guard (when he's healthy) in Rose and Thibs has them geared to play swarming team defense -- all items that are sure to attract Donovan. As if all that weren't enough, Donovan would be reunited with one of his favorite UF players, Jo Noah.

If the Bulls exit early from the playoffs, don't be surprised if Thibs is dismissed and speculation swirls about a Donovan candidacy.[/QUOTE]
I think that's a worst case scenario for us. Finding a good replacement in the middle of the summer would suck.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n203200 said:
I think that's a worst case scenario for us. Finding a good replacement in the middle of the summer would suck.

Maybe, maybe not. He'd rather go to a contending team than a non-contender, but a team that makes a deep run isn't likely to change coaches. A team exiting in the first two rounds, esp a team expected to go deeper, is a different story. That puts Donovan saying his goodbyes during the last two weeks in May. Might not be as bad as it sounds.

Personally, I hope he stays. His college DNA is so deep, I can't see him lasting in the NBA that long.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n203206]

Maybe, maybe not. He'd rather go to a contending team than a non-contender, but a team that makes a deep run isn't likely to change coaches. A team exiting in the first two rounds, esp a team expected to go deeper, is a different story. That puts Donovan saying his goodbyes during the last two weeks in May. Might not be as bad as it sounds.

Personally, I hope he stays. His college DNA is so deep, I can't see him lasting in the NBA that long.[/QUOTE]
Hell yeah , nobody in their right mind wants him to leave. The nba chews coaches up and spits em out. If you don't have a franchise player committed to staying at that place for a long time, you're probably not going to last at that particular place very long. Okc is the team that fits that description( if Durant stays). But idk how well Billy would manage egos but he definitely knows the x' and o' s to coach the professional game.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n202719 said:
No chance he goes to Orlando. That team is a dumpster fire.

No chance he leaves us. This team is a dumpster fire.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
rogdochar;n203414 said:
No chance he leaves us. This team is a dumpster fire.

What does that matter. When he signed with Orlando the first time, our team was weak as **** due to poor recruiting results.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
According to the Gainesville sun, Billy doesn't know where the reports came from. And Kevin brockaway said donnavan was a little annoyed with it.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Next year we're going to be kicking some names and taking some ass!!!!!

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n204665 said:
According to the Gainesville sun, Billy doesn't know where the reports came from. And Kevin brockaway said donnavan was a little annoyed with it.

:whistle:

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n205073 said:
Next year we're going to be kicking some names and taking some ass!!!!!

Wrong school and wrong sport pal. We don't have Rapies on our roster.:headshake:

Phineus Maximus

Founding Member
Thread Killer
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r;n202177 said:
Awesome, can we remove that horrible picture of Billy from the top banner thingy now? That picture has been driving me crazy. I think Ox found the worst picture of Billy he could dig up to use for that. :barfaway:

I like this one...

Attachments

• conv_2954.JPG
    conv_2954.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 35

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This is what we need Billy to be looking like next year.

Attachments

• conv_2965.jpg
    conv_2965.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 42

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members