Billy Napier - UF Head Football Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Ohhh but Mullen fit your bill perfectly.

Oh yah...I forgot...you're into those elite standards.

Urban did not have them, SOS did not have them...

Sometimes "what looks good on your computer screen" ain't the answer.
Get a grip, NOLA. I know it's tough, but try, try hard, you can do it.

GatorScott

If you ain't first, you're last
Jan 21, 2019
Look at Bobby Bowden. Total country boy who hadn't really done anything, but talk to a bunch of his ex-players and they all said the same thing...Bobby made that connection with not only the players, but parents and grandmas fell in love with him and his folksy ways and that lead the 'SEMENoles' to a ton of Top 5 teams and recruiting classes.

So I'd take a Coach O as a D Coordinator or some recruiting role in a heartbeat. Maybe this Napier dude has that "it" and can monetize it with top recruits.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
This f’n guy…..he gets triggered by the slightest things.

I guess if I lived in that shyt hole, I’d get triggered that easily too.
I get it though. He's still upset from when I laid out reality for him regarding UF as an institution, let alone UF football.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
This is the problem, if we are comparing this guy to the last three hires we have accept mediocrity. I got blasted when I said the same thing about Mullen, but it's true. When we are using the last three hires as the bar at UF, then we have truly fallen off.

Not accepting mediocrity at all. The most important decision has already been made, which was to fire Mullen. The next guy needs to be likeable for the fans, needs to be all in Gator, and losses are tolerable. When SOS or Meyer lost, it sucked, but it was tolerable because we knew we had the right coach.

If the new guy hovers between 7-8 wins, he won't last long, but that won't negate the decision to fire Mullen.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Not accepting mediocrity at all. The most important decision has already been made, which was to fire Mullen. The next guy needs to be likeable for the fans, needs to be all in Gator, and losses are tolerable. When SOS or Meyer lost, it sucked, but it was tolerable because we knew we had the right coach.

If the new guy hovers between 7-8 wins, he won't last long, but that won't negate the decision to fire Mullen.

If you are using the last three guys as the bar, the bar has already been lowered.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
If you are using the last three guys as the bar, the bar has already been lowered.

Show me where could have possibly gotten that idea.

The bar is winning the SEC and competing for national championships. Every. Damn. Year. UF set that bar in the 1990s, the first to do it. Bama is merely copying now what UF did in the 1990s.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Show me where could have possibly gotten that idea.

The bar is winning the SEC and competing for national championships. Every. Damn. Year. UF set that bar in the 1990s, the first to do it. Bama is merely copying now what UF did in the 1990s.

Read the post I initially responded to... you did just that.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I just watched that. He was completely clueless. That was one of the worst interview performances I have ever seen. He was trying BS his way through the interview and Finebaum was disgusted with him.
That guy had less info than I do and I don’t know a single m’fer employed at UF. :lol:

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Fascinating. Now he's won 31 out of his last 35 strictly from luck. What a streak!
It's convenient to ignore the 7 losses the year before that streak. But, okay, lets pretend those losses don't count. If we are saying he usually had the best talent in his conference and often won close, how many of the close games going the other way would it take to wonder if his losses despite better talent are scheme related?

I get that he's going to be a hard working program builder, things we do need right frikin now. But I think if he tries to bring his shlt offense to the SEC we are going to be very familiar with the results and looking for a new coach in a few years.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Look at Bobby Bowden. Total country boy who hadn't really done anything, but talk to a bunch of his ex-players and they all said the same thing...Bobby made that connection with not only the players, but parents and grandmas fell in love with him and his folksy ways and that lead the 'SEMENoles' to a ton of Top 5 teams and recruiting classes.

So I'd take a Coach O as a D Coordinator or some recruiting role in a heartbeat. Maybe this Napier dude has that "it" and can monetize it with top recruits.

I'd rather a Chizik...Coach O is Fuchsed up personally

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018

But I think if he tries to bring his shlt offense to the SEC we are going to be very familiar with the results and looking for a new coach in a few years.

I remember the same comments about Urban and the spread offense. It wouldn't work in the SEC, SEC defenses would eat it up.

Now almost everyone is running a version of it, including Alabama.

Oklahoma Gator

Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2015
It's convenient to ignore the 7 losses the year before that streak. But, okay, lets pretend those losses don't count. If we are saying he usually had the best talent in his conference and often won close, how many of the close games going the other way would it take to wonder if his losses despite better talent are scheme related?

I get that he's going to be a hard working program builder, things we do need right frikin now. But I think if he tries to bring his shlt offense to the SEC we are going to be very familiar with the results and looking for a new coach in a few years.
I can’t go back to BOOM ball.. I just can’t

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users