Bits & Pieces: Florida vs LSU

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
1699798107776.png

Most football games usually have several subplots, twists and turns, that play out and result in the conclusion. Last night in Baton Rouge, we had our beleaguered Gators, 5-4 and riding a two-game losing streak and having lost at home last week, ingloriously, to hapless Arkansas (who was destroyed 48-10 by Auburn yesterday). We had LSU coming off a beating at the hands of a resurgent Alabama that included knocking dangerous dual-threat QB Jayden Daniels out of the game with a concussion. Even though he was cleared to participate earlier in the week, would his effectiveness be impacted? Then there was our own Billy Napier, starting to come under fire for a lack of success, but maybe more so for the myriad of mistakes being made by both coaches and players in every game. It made for some good theatre leading up to the game.

Once the game started, It quickly became apparent that Daniels was no worse for the wear coming off of the concussion protocol. The slender Tiger QB had an All-American night, passing for 372 yds and 3 TDs and rushing for 234 yds and 2 more scores, leaving the Gator defenders chasing and flailing in his wake. There’s reason to believe Daniels may likely become only the fourth player from a 3-loss team to win the Heisman and his record-setting 616 yds of total offense last night certainly didn’t hurt his chances.

I have to admit that as one who has been critical of Billy‘s seeming lack of attention to the multitude of mistakes as well as an offense that is more ball control than attacking, the Gators O was more potent and attacked vertically, with success, more than we have been. The result was that Mertz was able to throw for 311 yds and a TD and no INTs. We were also able to rush the ball for 177, led by Etienne with 99 yds and 3 TDs on 18 carries. We also took the lead at 28-24 in the 3rd quarter and for a moment looked like a team that was finding it’s pace.

But it wasn’t to be. Daniels just grabbed another gear with a 51 yd TD run and on our next possession, aided by a questionable booth review and overturn of a spectacular Mertz to Kahleil Jackson pass that would have set us up in scoring position, we turned the ball over on downs (I think I’m right on my sequencing here). The rest was academic as LSU scored 3 more times and the final score was 52-38, leaving the Gators at 5-5 with Missouri (8-2) up next on the road and the finale at home in two weeks against an undefeated F$U.

No moral victory, but a couple of positives was a clean up of many of the mistakes that had been plaguing the Gators, particularly with Special Teams, and with the passing game that attacked both vertically and in the middle of the field and was also able to move the ball and score on the ground. 38 points and 488 total yds, on most nights, would be considered respectable and a reason to celebrate.

But not with the defensive performance that was put forth. Granted, Daniels is probably the best player in CFB right now, but great day, I believe we set some kind of record tonight for uncovered receivers and loss of contain, which led to us giving up a whopping 701 yds of offense and 52 pts. We had a few defensive moments, a goal line stand and a couple of sacks, but by and large we were shredded, chewed up and spit out, and all too often our guys were trailing, chasing, watching Daniels and the Tigers run, pass, and catch through us like a hot knife through butter. Make no mistake, even though we showed a pulse tonight offensively, we are abysmal defensively. Part of it is personnel, but having defenders consistently misaligned, out of position, and not playing aggressively is a guarantee that we will lose more than we win, especially in the SEC and during this period of offenses > defenses, and clearly points to coaching and expectations on that side of the ball.

So, the repeating question of “What now?” is asked yet again. Missouri on the road will be no birthday party. The Tigers whipped Tennessee 36-7 yesterday and in the words of HC Eliah Drinkwitz “kicked their defense’s @ss!” To say they will be confident at home and looking to do the same to us is likely an understatement. And until we find some way to become better fundamentally and give great effort EVERY play, barring a spate of turnovers by Mizzou or them uncharacteristically looking past us, they’ll kick our @ss, too. Damn it hurts to say that, but it’s true and underscores another area of concern for Billy to rectify. And that rectification can’t come soon enough.

I’ve always heard that “the sun doesn’t shine on the same dog’s back all the time,” but damn if it doesn’t seem like we’ve been under a cloud forever! Again, we’re reduced to playing for the outside chance (at this point) for bowl eligibility and to stave off a losing season record. A far cry from a Conference Championship and a playoff berth, but a step that’s still before us. Feels “Sisyphean” at this point, but it is our task to perform. Bear up Gators! Let’s roll the rock and look for better days in the not so distant future!

:chomp:

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Thanks for taking the time. Would it be okay for me to read the Cliffs Notes version? I believe it will say Wash, Rinse, Repeat.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Great write up C2. I do not understand why we cannot get a competent DC. AA should be released this week.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Great write up C2. I do not understand why we cannot get a competent DC. AA should be released this week.
It’s quite glaring. The consistent things we see defensively are technical (misaligned, receivers left uncovered) and fundamental errors (poor tackling, poor effort). That the same things keep happening over and again tells me that it is not merely a talent or personnel problem, but an inability of the coordinator and staff, all under the supervision of the HC, to make the necessary changes happen. This is not winning football and is unacceptable in my opinion.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
It’s quite glaring. The consistent things we see defensively are technical (misaligned, receivers left uncovered) and fundamental errors (poor tackling, poor effort). That the same things keep happening over and again tells me that it is not merely a talent or personnel problem, but an inability of the coordinator and staff, all under the supervision of the HC, to make the necessary changes happen. This is not winning football and is unacceptable in my opinion.
I was watching the UGly Ole Piss game last night as I thought it had a chance to be a good, entertaining game and for about a half it was. Ole Piss had UGly on its heels defensively on it's first 2 possessions and after putting up TD's the UGly defense could be seen sitting on the sideline, with DC Glen Schumman (sp?), no not that idiot Muscrat, holding and drawing on a white board, listening to and talking to the players, clearly trying to figure out what the hell was going on. And slowly but surely, UGly began to get a handle on the situation. Now is that b/c they have really good players? Partially yes, but they had those same good players on the first 2 drives. Did it have something to do with their 3 defensive coaches (Shart, Schumman, Scrat) getting their headsets together and coming up with a change of plans? Probably.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
Thanks Cover for your PG recap of our game last night.
To put it bluntly our Defense was offensive last night. I believe if Napier keeps AA around after the season it will be his death blow. Even Napiers supporters have a limit to how much of this chit show they can take.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I was watching the UGly Ole Piss game last night as I thought it had a chance to be a good, entertaining game and for about a half it was. Ole Piss had UGly on its heels defensively on it's first 2 possessions and after putting up TD's the UGly defense could be seen sitting on the sideline, with DC Glen Schumman (sp?), no not that idiot Muscrat, holding and drawing on a white board, listening to and talking to the players, clearly trying to figure out what the hell was going on. And slowly but surely, UGly began to get a handle on the situation. Now is that b/c they have really good players? Partially yes, but they had those same good players on the first 2 drives. Did it have something to do with their 3 defensive coaches (Shart, Schumman, Scrat) getting their headsets together and coming up with a change of plans? Probably.
Correct. Having good players is good, but having good players that are well-coached, know and carry out their assignments with great technique, relentless effort, and great pride is the hallmark of great defensive teams. “One Heartbeat” is not just a motto of great defenses, but a mentality that belies taking responsibility for individual assignments and accountability to your teammates. That was a motto on Kirby’s HS team and how that group played and I’d dare say that it’s part of who he is as a coach and also who his defenses are. Sadly, it is pretty clear that our group does not play with “One Heartbeat.” In fact, it can be argued whether we sometimes have a pulse at all!

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015

we constantly see the D struggling to get lined up on time. It is tough to play downhill when you are out of position.

Too much scheme and changes for them to handle. Along with being slow and out of shape, lol

Cozumel Gator

Living in paradise, streaming all games
Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2016
View attachment 63943

Most football games usually have several subplots, twists and turns, that play out and result in the conclusion. Last night in Baton Rouge, we had our beleaguered Gators, 5-4 and riding a two-game losing streak and having lost at home last week, ingloriously, to hapless Arkansas (who was destroyed 48-10 by Auburn yesterday). We had LSU coming off a beating at the hands of a resurgent Alabama that included knocking dangerous dual-threat QB Jayden Daniels out of the game with a concussion. Even though he was cleared to participate earlier in the week, would his effectiveness be impacted? Then there was our own Billy Napier, starting to come under fire for a lack of success, but maybe more so for the myriad of mistakes being made by both coaches and players in every game. It made for some good theatre leading up to the game.

Once the game started, It quickly became apparent that Daniels was no worse for the wear coming off of the concussion protocol. The slender Tiger QB had an All-American night, passing for 372 yds and 3 TDs and rushing for 234 yds and 2 more scores, leaving the Gator defenders chasing and flailing in his wake. There’s reason to believe Daniels may likely become only the fourth player from a 3-loss team to win the Heisman and his record-setting 616 yds of total offense last night certainly didn’t hurt his chances.

I have to admit that as one who has been critical of Billy‘s seeming lack of attention to the multitude of mistakes as well as an offense that is more ball control than attacking, the Gators O was more potent and attacked vertically, with success, more than we have been. The result was that Mertz was able to throw for 311 yds and a TD and no INTs. We were also able to rush the ball for 177, led by Etienne with 99 yds and 3 TDs on 18 carries. We also took the lead at 28-24 in the 3rd quarter and for a moment looked like a team that was finding it’s pace.

But it wasn’t to be. Daniels just grabbed another gear with a 51 yd TD run and on our next possession, aided by a questionable booth review and overturn of a spectacular Mertz to Kahleil Jackson pass that would have set us up in scoring position, we turned the ball over on downs (I think I’m right on my sequencing here). The rest was academic as LSU scored 3 more times and the final score was 52-38, leaving the Gators at 5-5 with Missouri (8-2) up next on the road and the finale at home in two weeks against an undefeated F$U.

No moral victory, but a couple of positives was a clean up of many of the mistakes that had been plaguing the Gators, particularly with Special Teams, and with the passing game that attacked both vertically and in the middle of the field and was also able to move the ball and score on the ground. 38 points and 488 total yds, on most nights, would be considered respectable and a reason to celebrate.

But not with the defensive performance that was put forth. Granted, Daniels is probably the best player in CFB right now, but great day, I believe we set some kind of record tonight for uncovered receivers and loss of contain, which led to us giving up a whopping 701 yds of offense and 52 pts. We had a few defensive moments, a goal line stand and a couple of sacks, but by and large we were shredded, chewed up and spit out, and all too often our guys were trailing, chasing, watching Daniels and the Tigers run, pass, and catch through us like a hot knife through butter. Make no mistake, even though we showed a pulse tonight offensively, we are abysmal defensively. Part of it is personnel, but having defenders consistently misaligned, out of position, and not playing aggressively is a guarantee that we will lose more than we win, especially in the SEC and during this period of offenses > defenses, and clearly points to coaching and expectations on that side of the ball.

So, the repeating question of “What now?” is asked yet again. Missouri on the road will be no birthday party. The Tigers whipped Tennessee 36-7 yesterday and in the words of HC Eliah Drinkwitz “kicked their defense’s @ss!” To say they will be confident at home and looking to do the same to us is likely an understatement. And until we find some way to become better fundamentally and give great effort EVERY play, barring a spate of turnovers by Mizzou or them uncharacteristically looking past us, they’ll kick our @ss, too. Damn it hurts to say that, but it’s true and underscores another area of concern for Billy to rectify. And that rectification can’t come soon enough.

I’ve always heard that “the sun doesn’t shine on the same dog’s back all the time,” but damn if it doesn’t seem like we’ve been under a cloud forever! Again, we’re reduced to playing for the outside chance (at this point) for bowl eligibility and to stave off a losing season record. A far cry from a Conference Championship and a playoff berth, but a step that’s still before us. Feels “Sisyphean” at this point, but it is our task to perform. Bear up Gators! Let’s roll the rock and look for better days in the not so distant future!

Another amazing "coffee with cover" for the record books. It was heartwarming to see a passing attack from our Gators. I did have a great English stream from star+ here in Cozumel. Sometimes it can only be watched in Spanish. (Let's not go to there and what my wife thinks of my ability to converse in a 2nd language)

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
we constantly see the D struggling to get lined up on time. It is tough to play downhill when you are out of position.

Too much scheme and changes for them to handle. Along with being slow and out of shape, lol
Agreed. You know, mention has been made about our S&C program and I believe it warrants review at a minimum.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think the ship is taking water.......

I don't know if any change made now will help.

I think Nape. gets one more year to get it right.

Go Gators!

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I think the ship is taking water.......

I don't know if any change made now will help.

I think Nape. gets one more year to get it right.

Go Gators!
Next year will be even worse, don’t hold your breath!

fischerwood

Wake me when we fix this mess
Sep 5, 2014
View attachment 63943

Right on Cover, unfortunately, the Gator's ship has sailed away away away, We have, dare I say, become an insignificant part of the SEC and College Football overall. Coach Pell said on a T shirt handed out to the team in 1980: "NIRT"...November Is the Real Test. He was right then and from his grave, he's still right. That's all I got...
We are now at a crossroads and this University should make some serious decisions regarding our way forward.
But I'm not going to hold my breath...so sad...and depressing...
A Gator since SOS was a Sophomore, and still a Gator!!

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
Similar to the 'Through All Kinds of Weather' special pleading is the inscription found near the Forum in ancient Rome to "not let yoked animals drop excrement near the shrine".

There's another Roman tradition that when figurative excrement is being dropped by those operating from inside the walls, the emperor is to be murdered and his wife and daughters are likely to be raped. That's a bit harsh these days, but there's an awful lot of excrement being dropped inside and out. The Long Knives are beginning to show.

Last edited:

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019

And the word is out: Get to the LOS quickly on offense and the Gators D will be looking to the sideline not sure where to line up. We make football easy for our opponents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.