Bits & Pieces: Florida vs LSU

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Cover, I'd like you to clarify one thing. Why is it that in todays college football environment schools are throwing around tens of millions of dollars (70 plus actually) to people who might not be worthwhile as a janitor in another world. Why are we not able to find some dude who is a decent coach who we can pay Multi-Millions to so that we win more often than we lose. Why is it that here, right here, on this board; is a great writer who rivals Grantland Rice.

Why couldn't we have it the other way around, a great coach and a lousy writer.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Cover, I'd like you to clarify one thing. Why is it that in todays college football environment schools are throwing around tens of millions of dollars (70 plus actually) to people who might not be worthwhile as a janitor in another world. Why are we not able to find some dude who is a decent coach who we can pay Multi-Millions to so that we win more often than we lose. Why is it that here, right here, on this board; is a great writer who rivals Grantland Rice.

Has anyone else here ever heard of Grantland Rice?

0d73db08-cb9d-40bf-82eb-b55828bc8576_text.gif

Paapa

Sep 18, 2023
Georgia has great players, great coaches, great tradition, and is a state that cares about football and has great high school football. Same for Alabama.

Billy Napier is not going to be fired at the end of this season. UF has too much money and sweat equity invested to throw in the towel now just to hire another head coach and start over with no guarantee that we're going to get it right the next time. The tipping point will become sometime next season. If by then we're not seen to be going forward then that point will be reached, but we're not at that point yet.

Our culture wants instant gratification. After Bear Bryant Alabama had to go through Ray Perkins, Bill Curry, Gene Stallings, Mike Dubose, Dennis Franchione, Mike Shula, and Joe Lines before they got to another legend, Nick Saban. Legends are hard to come by. They are few and far between. I know the culture doesn't like to talk about hard work and character, but I think that is what you look for. I think Billy Napier has those qualities. I know those qualities don't guarantee wins. They are necessary if not sufficient.

Hope you're feeling better Cover,

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

My opinion is that we are a society largely driven by two main things: enrichment and notoriety. We do not laud hard work, loyalty, and perseverance as we once did. College football mirrors that. Everybody wants to be the best and the easiest path has become to throw a ton of money at your target. Started with the hot coaches, then a system was implemented to buy the best players. The desired result is super coaches with super teams. The problem is that in reality there are truly only a handful of the really elite coaches, Saban being the top of the heap, but there’s more money out there than ever before (conference and broadcast revenue, big boosters, etc.), so the teams that are searching for an elite coach have a lot of money to throw around. But again, there’s only a handful of truly elite coaches; the money, however, is still thrown at the lesser candidates with the hopes of finding a diamond in the rough, that next rising star.

A big part of the elite coach procurement plan has come to include the long-term contract with huge buyouts. The plus side for the schools is that if they find that elite coach, they lock him in for what’s hoped to be a long term run. But in the majority of cases, the coach fizzles after 2-3 seasons, maybe more, maybe less, and unless he’s a crook or of poor morals, the school is on the hook for the remainder of contract or a negotiated settlement. Either way, there’s as much incentive to fail as there is to succeed! This model, on the surface if not deeper, appears to have attracted far more Charlatans than revealed and promoted elite coaches. As long as the money is available in the amounts that it is, it’s hard to see us getting away from this system.

We were blessed to have had Steve Spurrier, a UF alum who proudly bled Orange and Blue and an ultra-competitor, to coach our team and pave the road for future successes. I hold on to the hope that we’ll eventually find somebody in that same mold, not necessarily an old player, but one who’s driven more by the quest to win and be the best and has the experience and connections to make it happen and isn’t looking primarily to sign up for a golden parachute. But I know these guys are beyond rare these days. Rarer still are the ADs and administrators that are actually able to vet and hire the best. Too often their egos exceed proper judgement when it comes to selecting the man and offering a contract. The need to be the guy or school who makes the big splash hire or finds the next coaching superstar gets ahead of things. By and large, it’s more Cowboys and Indians than sound business practices with no signs of changing anytime soon.

@gator1946 I appreciate your kind words. This little article I do is easy for me because I’ve been a lifelong Gator fan, I’m an alum, I love football and all our past successes, and I look forward to returning to greatness. And, I enjoy our band of Gator Chatter members! They give me a lot to think about, laugh about, sometimes cuss about, but most of all, they make this a place to hang out with others who have the Orange and Blue in common. It’s very much like home!

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

”What we asked them to do, they did.”

Let‘s ask them to do more :dunno: I will say that Billy was better composed post-game than the week before.

Last edited:

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018

Let‘s ask them to do more :dunno: I will say that Billy was better composed post-game than the week before.

He said they felt like they had some chances for things to come out on the other end at about he 1:16 mark. I'd say not only did we have chances but I saw quite a bit "coming out of the other end". Hell, where should I start?

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
He said they felt like they had some chances for things to come out on the other end at about he 1:16 mark. I'd say not only did we have chances but I saw quite a bit "coming out of the other end". Hell, where should I start?
There apparently was a lot coming out the other end

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
You all sound like spoiled little bitches. Take a long hard look at your wives, be honest with yourself and accept that you don’t deserve a coach that is high caliber either.

I took a look at your wife last night and did, in fact, accept that I didn't deserve the STD she was more than willing to give me.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018

Offense and STs played well? There's nothing disparaging he can say about his DC, nothing that needs to be said. Players don't know their assignments, do not train to shed blocks and tackle? It has to be something they are being taught or not taught. Our players just cannot be that much worse than our opponents.

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
Billy talked in post-game about our resiliency, resolve and TOUGHNESS. Billy, whatever color pills you're taking, please gimme somma dat

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.