Bits & Pieces: Florida vs Missouri

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
Little “spoiler alert” would be nice if you’re going to ruin movie plots. Had “Big Jake” lined up to watch with the family today and now our afternoon is ruined, kids are balling their eyes out and my wife just left me.

Thanks, @cover2

Under-aged kids should not be allowed to read GatorChatter without direct supervision.

Even in the Sunbelt League, that's bad coaching. (And this is a great example of Why.)

Sorry ... but ... I don't make the rules.

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
I don't care.
I’m sorry man. Let’s make up

I Love U Ily GIF by i-love-you

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
As always Cover spot on. I to wonder why Brown didn't try to pull at least one of them on the last drive. He had been giving them fits with it on the previous drive, so I wonder if that was Billy telling him not to get cute and just run the play. I thought Billy was an analytics guy and if you have 1:30 left, they have 3 time outs, an explosive O and a kicker that can hit from 60 you would think he would have been more aggressive trying to get another first down to leave no time left.

As for Mertz that guy came to play this year and was truly one of the bright spots. I think he comes back next year, but if not he should be remembered very fondly as he may have been our second best QB since Tebow behind Trask. If he had just an ounce of pass protection and a D to back him up this year.
I don’t believe BN is an analytics guy. He might talk the talk though.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
@cover2 , I gave you like but didn't read any of your post. I just can't take it anymore.

I told my wife were going to run it 3 times, kick the field goal, they were gonna drive and kick a game winner.

You simply have to at least get a 1st down or die trying. We just died.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@cover2 , I gave you like but didn't read any of your post. I just can't take it anymore.

I told my wife were going to run it 3 times, kick the field goal, they were gonna drive and kick a game winner.

You simply have to at least get a 1st down or die trying. We just died.
Like I told @Zambo on this very thing, I’m right there with you!

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Regarding Brown's fumble. That was not a running play. The play was a bootleg pass to the TE coming across.

I don't know if Brown extended it too far and hit the elbow of the RB or the RB didn't get his elbow high enough. Definitely a difference maker.

I like Brown. I like Mertz. Mertz is missing a LOT of the deeper passes by opting for the shorter throw on those over/drag routes to the TE off the bootleg. I have seen MANY of those bootleg plays where the over route 10 yards behind the TE is wide ass open and Mertz throws the shorter ball. This is film study and I don't mean Mertz, but film study is done with a coach who rewinds the play a million times and goes thru everyone's position. Most likely by position group at this level.

The good news is I believe we have two QBs who I consider ballers and would be a LOT better with some decent coaching.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but Jayden Hill had a chance for a pretty routine INT that instead was tipped and almost caught for a TD. I bring it up because he was the player that had a drive stopping pick and the game deciding pick-6 last year in this game. They kicked a FG there which loomed large at the end. Little differences between making a play and almost making a play.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018

No accountability, things happen kind of mentality, quite casual, no indication losses bother him. We lost again, lets just chat for a while... and Graham Mertz is a competitor and Gator Nation should be proud. Thanks Coach, good to know. Smile some more.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
No accountability, things happen kind of mentality, quite casual, no indication losses bother him. We lost again, lets just chat for a while... and Graham Mertz is a competitor and Gator Nation should be proud. Thanks Coach, good to know. Smile some more.

In some respects, the fact that we were in these last two games late, despite a tumultuous few weeks, kind of adds to the argument that there is enough talent, even experience, to win them now. This isn’t watching a Treon led UF team getting crushed by fsu, Ala and Mich, where you could just see we were outclassed. I appreciate the heart and character. At some point if were not taking that next step, it becomes no longer a personnel issue.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
At some point if were not taking that next step, it becomes no longer a personnel issue.
Are we the most talented team, No. Talented enough to win more than we have, yes. Has coaching and game management cost his players two wins, looks that way. It doesn't seem to register that he has a responsibility to his players.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah I know we are a young team and all but you’ll never convince me that UF doesn’t have enough talent that a decent coaching staff can’t win 7 games minimum.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
How do you know that there is no accountability? Are you at practice?

Just because he doesn't go all "Urban" in front of the press and call his players trash, doesn't mean there is no accountability.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
How do you know that there is no accountability? Are you at practice?

Just because he doesn't go all "Urban" in front of the press and call his players trash, doesn't mean there is no accountability.
Homer, respectfully, if there was accountability, we wouldn’t be preparing for Game 12 with the SEC’s worst defense nor would we be continually seeing poor tackling, poor coverage, poor effort, poor angles, getting blocked and staying blocked, and quitting on plays by the same players over and again. And that’s just on the defensive side of the ball. We started this season with a young roster, but these players are 11 games old. They should be playing at a higher level than what we’re seeing. But there’s a ton of the responsibility to be borne by Billy and the staff. That should be very obvious to all by now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.