Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Mizzou

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Mac will not hand over the controls to a freshman until UF is realistically eliminated from the SEC East title. Probably two more losses.

Despite the infuriating false starts, Jawaan Taylor at right tackle does some impressive stuff. On a couple of plays he plowed through a defender like they were rag dolls.

LDR was for the most part atrocious. This was just his fourth start as a collegian and he has yet to start away from BHG stadium. It may get worse before it gets better.
Agreed about Taylor. Thinking he has a chance to be a big time guy. Strong with a mean streak. Need more like him in that position group. Had to laugh when he got called for holding. Looked more like he threw the defender about 5 yards past the QB!

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We did some good things, especially 1st half defensively. We scored points, even if 3 scores were defense/special teams. But we faded, again, in the 2nd half defensively and save good rushing games by Scarlett and Perine, we were inconsistent offensively at best. LDR didn't look physically ready to be out there and I don't think he read route progressions well. OL was what they've shown us. Spec teams...not much to jump up and down about. Sounds like sacrilege, but it not a win that got me overly excited. Missouri was not real good. But a conference should probably better cherished than I'm giving it right now. I should remember GA Southern I guess!
I missed 3rd qtr due to family obligations- good ones, but the second half defense was due to 4th stringers playing lb and other positions. We should have a stampede of lb recruits next week. Better staff the phone lines.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Agreed about Taylor. Thinking he has a chance to be a big time guy. Strong with a mean streak. Need more like him in that position group. Had to laugh when he got called for holding. Looked more like he threw the defender about 5 yards past the QB!
It was closer to an ass beating than holding.

Actually I thought our line made progress this week. Against GA we should be even better. Not great but better than the 'curve'.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Agree with a lot of what you say there.

I will probably take a look at it again when that offensive plays only tape is released around Tuesday but I thought I saw Scarlett getting tore up a couple of times pass blocking again. Not really sure what they should do there if Scarlett is really just worse at blocking than the others. I havent really watched Perine block yet but if he is clearly a better blocker then maybe they should go with him as the starter until Scarlett shows he has cleaned that up. I am tired of this using 4 plus RBs mess also.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Good as always Cover.

If I had to point at the main thing to me that just magnified our weaknesses....."False start on the offense, #74, #74, #74, ......." An offense with weaknesses like we do cannot afford it. Most of those FS's were when we had made positive yardage and blew up drives. Fumbles, no excuse. As far as LDR, many times in the box chat yesterday several kept saying he's constantly throwing off the back foot. Yes, he was. LDR is not the best QB by far, but I did see some better play calling with him in there. Is it Nussy or does LDR know how to run that offense better than Nuss. But in all that knee is not well by a long shot. So the underthrowing and "floating" that we were chatting about...is going to happen.

Perrine and Scarlett. I think as you do that Scarlett is a great back. But at this point I think Perrine is the real deal. There was not many times or opportunities for him to pass block but when he gets the rock we see what he can do with it. I guess it doesn't matter if they're 1-2 but they are by far our best combo. Time to dump the committee crap. Scarlett showed he cannot pick up the strong side help when protecting LDR. After the play fake he drifts away to the weak side and leaves the oncoming LB or corner coming hard. It should be easy, take the fake, drift over and help the strong side and chip a blocker if needed.

The Defense to me was the best thing of the day. Most of the yardage to me seemed to come with the 2's and 3's in the game. There were some times that Side Hat would put us in a scheme where all the LB's stunted and blitzed and the RB's and once they made it through the LOS they were getting big yards. Corners played well and Davis and Anzalone were all over the place. I will be anxiously awaiting the report on Davis today. Thank goodness we have another bye week.

I know alot of it is not what we are expecting out of this team, but I'll take the win. Not sure if anyone wants to tangle with Bama right now. Now I know why all of the Vols were bytching about us playing LSU. They know they are not for real and cannot win it out. But we already knew that.

Thanks for the insight.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
It was closer to an ass beating than holding.

Actually I thought our line made progress this week. Against GA we should be even better. Not great but better than the 'curve'.

Agreed, they gave a QB with a bad wheel some better effort and time to throw.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Mac will not hand over the controls to a freshman until UF is realistically eliminated from the SEC East title. Probably two more losses.

Despite the infuriating false starts, Jawaan Taylor at right tackle does some impressive stuff. On a couple of plays he plowed through a defender like they were rag dolls.

LDR was for the most part atrocious. This was just his fourth start as a collegian and he has yet to start away from BHG stadium. It may get worse before it gets better.

I doubt Mac plays one of the freshman either unless its like the 2nd game in a row and both LDR and Appleby are just getting killed in joke blowout games. At this point I kind of think it might be best not throwing Franks into a situation like that going into next season. If Franks has it at all he should easily be able to beat out LDR next season for the job now that he has had time to transition mentally.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Good as always Cover.

If I had to point at the main thing to me that just magnified our weaknesses....."False start on the offense, #74, #74, #74, ......." An offense with weaknesses like we do cannot afford it. Most of those FS's were when we had made positive yardage and blew up drives. Fumbles, no excuse. As far as LDR, many times in the box chat yesterday several kept saying he's constantly throwing off the back foot. Yes, he was. LDR is not the best QB by far, but I did see some better play calling with him in there. Is it Nussy or does LDR know how to run that offense better than Nuss. But in all that knee is not well by a long shot. So the underthrowing and "floating" that we were chatting about...is going to happen.

Perrine and Scarlett. I think as you do that Scarlett is a great back. But at this point I think Perrine is the real deal. There was not many times or opportunities for him to pass block but when he gets the rock we see what he can do with it. I guess it doesn't matter if they're 1-2 but they are by far our best combo. Time to dump the committee crap. Scarlett showed he cannot pick up the strong side help when protecting LDR. After the play fake he drifts away to the weak side and leaves the oncoming LB or corner coming hard. It should be easy, take the fake, drift over and help the strong side and chip a blocker if needed.

The Defense to me was the best thing of the day. Most of the yardage to me seemed to come with the 2's and 3's in the game. There were some times that Side Hat would put us in a scheme where all the LB's stunted and blitzed and the RB's and once they made it through the LOS they were getting big yards. Corners played well and Davis and Anzalone were all over the place. I will be anxiously awaiting the report on Davis today. Thank goodness we have another bye week.

I know alot of it is not what we are expecting out of this team, but I'll take the win. Not sure if anyone wants to tangle with Bama right now. Now I know why all of the Vols were bytching about us playing LSU. They know they are not for real and cannot win it out. But we already knew that.

Thanks for the insight.

Good detail there on the Scarlett blocking stuff. I was sure I saw him screwing up there also paying a little attention when he was in on some passing plays after that article written on it. That could be a huge issue against those better teams in the West and even Georgia possibly because they can bring more pressure on plays knowing its more likely to get the job done with a RB that is having a real hard time dealing with it.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I wanted more but I'll take the Win.

At least we didn't lose to Vandy!

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Some of what we are seeing is the corny term, I know, "want to"... the coaching demeanor, player interface and strategy seems to be significant in some of these observed mistakes and maintaining energy throughout a game. It really has that Zookery feel of "dad, ahem coach, is my friend" instead of "dad will beat my ass" aka sit me on the bench if I don't get the job done consistently... just saying.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
We have serious issues to fix.

The good:

Offense moved the ball and we just need to fix the penalties

Cleveland is the real deal at WR

Defense was dominate until Davis got hurt, but Moon and Reese got much needed experience

Play calling was better. Not good, but better

We have two weeks to get Del Rios knee better

The bad:

Del Rio was rusty and hurt and it showed. Bad reads and bad throws

Callaway - TWO false start penalties. How often do you even see a receiver get ONE!

Oline. This is getting old. Average line lay and we win by 50. The penalties and missed assignments are horrible.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
The Herndon thing is mind blowing (someone post the Kramer meme). Why was he playing so much in a tight game? This O staff is clueless.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think we had 30 different players get in on at least one tackle. 30.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
@ BMF and Zambo... I know right, the world of "participation trophies for every one" thinking :grin:

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Penalties = Mizzou 5 for 24 yds versus our 11 for 65. Both teams practice-learn the same fundamentals.??
Why the big-big difference ? Actually, it's not the yards lost, but the likelihood of causing our marching drive
to stall by failing to get that first down to continue ... especially in the red zone.

Those numerous "false starts" are ludicrous. Bring in the sprinter's coach from our track team. In
track, one false start gets you kicked out of that event. So, the sprinters' coach has to be conditioning
all "in-the-blocks" sprinters to be "spring-cocked" awaiting the gun but never jumping it.

PaterLacerta

Who’s Your Daddy?
Jan 19, 2016
I think many of us were initially inspired by the good start last year. "Maybe we got something that's better than the last guy and can lead us back to respectability" was the sentiment going into the SECCG. Things have kind of been unraveling since. To me Mac is exposing himself as too laid back where some important player expectations are concerned and probably staff as well. I think some were feeling that earlier than others, but many have now come to a similar conclusion. As has been stated many times of late, and accurately I believe, Mac will sink or swim with the next recruiting cycle and another related factor will likely be some quality transfers we'll likely have to rely on. Some necessary staff moves are important as well.

Putting out the dumpster fire that Urb started and Chimp fanned will require some patience, but I agree that the next cycle will be the tell. Our O line will be upperclassmen with no excuse for the lack of execution that we've seen game in, game out. Our running backs need to learn to block, btw.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
What's really disappointing is how bad this team comes out in the third quarter. Yes they ended up scoring eventually in the third, but then they followed it up with the dumb 2-point attempt that sucked the excitement away. This is only the second game of the year that the offense scored in the third.

For whatever reason, this team shows the inability to make half time adjustments and put up a good drive to start the 2nd half. We need good third quarters to put the game out of reach, instead of making the game more interesting.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Sharp was leaving early on every down and only could have been called for more. The speed rusher was in his head.

My favorite play is still the 2 point try where they went misdirection to try and throw back to a DE. That was straight out of the old staff playbook.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.