Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Mizzou

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
What's really disappointing is how bad this team comes out in the third quarter. Yes they ended up scoring eventually in the third, but then they followed it up with the dumb 2-point attempt that sucked the excitement away. This is only the second game of the year that the offense scored in the third.

For whatever reason, this team shows the inability to make half time adjustments and put up a good drive to start the 2nd half. We need good third quarters to put the game out of reach, instead of making the game more interesting.

This has been an issue for 6 years now! It's all on the Coaches...

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
What's really disappointing is how bad this team comes out in the third quarter. Yes they ended up scoring eventually in the third, but then they followed it up with the dumb 2-point attempt that sucked the excitement away. This is only the second game of the year that the offense scored in the third.

For whatever reason, this team shows the inability to make half time adjustments and put up a good drive to start the 2nd half. We need good third quarters to put the game out of reach, instead of making the game more interesting.
I think they all smoke weed and meditate at halftime...coaches included.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I have plenty of thoughts on the game and season, I'll be posting them later tonight or tomorrow morning.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Sharp was leaving early on every down and only could have been called for more. The speed rusher was in his head.

My favorite play is still the 2 point try where they went misdirection to try and throw back to a DE. That was straight out of the old staff playbook.

I saw that also. The staff needs to put a TE there to help

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I have come to the conclusion that Mac can't coach.

... or, instead of one man being blamable, Mac has collected 40-70 "career FB kids" that are football-blind to fundamentals.??

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Haven't scrolled back through again, but was wondering about whether anyone else noticed how much we seemed to throw it on 1st down? Nothing wrong with mixing it up, but seemed like it was pretty easy to expect. Also, we looked to be trying to run off tackle with stretches and tosses, but they all seemed to be to the short side of the field. Got to have some great blocking from your wideouts as well as your OL play side (reach/scoops) to get the positives you're looking for. Glad we're trying some different things, but I'm having a hard time seeing the rhythm to the play calls.

Also, didn't get to hear any of Mac's post game comments. Anything enlightening or more of the "and yet" and so forth?

Last edited:

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
I think many of us were initially inspired by the good start last year. "Maybe we got something that's better than the last guy and can lead us back to respectability" was the sentiment going into the SECCG. Things have kind of been unraveling since. To me Mac is exposing himself as too laid back where some important player expectations are concerned and probably staff as well. I think some were feeling that earlier than others, but many have now come to a similar conclusion. As has been stated many times of late, and accurately I believe, Mac will sink or swim with the next recruiting cycle and another related factor will likely be some quality transfers we'll likely have to rely on. Some necessary staff moves are important as well.
I think Mac was sold on LDR before this year and I think that was why his cavalier treatment of Grier. He didn't want Grier around at this time, now. He's also been completely unwilling to give a freshman a try. Why play Applebee at all when there's no future in it.

Uncle Rob

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2016
1. We have to clean up the motion penalties. The first half would have looked much different without them.
2. Del Rio's reads were'nt bad, he just under three all the deep balls. Other than one throw to the end zone, our receivers were open. Put another 3-5 yard on the throws and we are 21-0 at half time. If his leg does not improve this week, he needs to get the ball out earlier to hit receivers in stride.
3. We were playing a lot of scrub players on defense in the second half. I'm not to excited about the yards they gave up. I hope Davis is back sooner rather than later. We need him. Sherit being back next week should help the run D.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Not only throwing on first, but then always running on a long 2nd down

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
Crockett really gashed us running between the tackles. Over and over he shot through the middle of the line and I was holding my breath hoping a safety would make a TD saving tackle.

Gotta agree with C2 on LDR's dangerous throws. Mizzou dropped 2 more easy INTs.

Also equally mystified as to why we didn't run more on first down and why we were running stretch plays to the short side of the field.

On the bright side, Tyrie Cleveland looks like the real deal.

Alex.
I think we got caught in the wrong defense a few times, when they did break the line (which happens sometimes) I saw no middle linebacker anywhere in sight

Yeah, QB play was terrible

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I had the funniest dream. A several years ago, everybody was bitching because we didn't throw on first down.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I think Mac was sold on LDR before this year and I think that was why his cavalier treatment of Grier. He didn't want Grier around at this time, now. He's also been completely unwilling to give a freshman a try. Why play Applebee at all when there's no future in it.

If LDR keeps stinking it up or gets injured I think it would be better to play Appleby and let him take the beating than yanking Franks possible redshirt.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Behind this line, let Appleby take the beating, let Franks redshirt and get stronger

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
I haven't re-watched the game, but it seemed to me that we were getting gashed on the same run play. After LDR's interception just before the half, they gashed us with that play. The Mizzou coaches must have studied that during halftime and kept running it (or something similar scheme-wise). As Frozen Gator noted, we kept getting caught in the wrong defensive play. What's frustrating is that our coaches had no answer or adjustment for it; they must have just ignored the one play Mizzou had that actually worked. And yeah, Cover, I didn't understand the constant passing on first down, especially when the QB was obviously struggling. That left us in 2nd and 10 which really forced a run play to hopefully create a manageable 3rd down. However, on the positive side, our special teams seemed to improve; Cleveland is showing something special, and Perine is a play maker. Hopefully, LDR's issues were injury-related and this week will give him a chance to heal up.

PaterLacerta

Who’s Your Daddy?
Jan 19, 2016
Haven't scrolled back through again, but was wondering about whether anyone else noticed how much we seemed to throw it on 1st down? Nothing wrong with mixing it up, but seemed like it was pretty easy to expect. Also, we looked to be trying to run off tackle with stretches and tosses, but they all seemed to be to the short side of the field. Got to have some great blocking from your wideouts as well as your OL play side (reach/scoops) to get the positives you're looking for. Glad we're trying some different things, but I'm having a hard time seeing the rhythm to the play calls.

Also, didn't get to hear any of Mac's post game comments. Anything enlightening or more of the "and yet" and so forth?

The problem that I saw was in the red zone: several nice drives stalled with the short field. LDR also gets some slack from me. First conference game after being laid up for weeks...well, sh*t happens. I understand everybody's frustration here but how quickly we've forgotten last season's three-and-out offense.

Floridagator

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
I have a confession...we're on a mini-vacation in Dillard GA. Watched the 1st half of the game and was really pissed at what I saw from us offensively. So much so that I agreed to go to Helen GA and listen to the remainder on c2 jr's phone. OK, so they were celebrating Oktoberfest, but I was still irate with the O performance! A nice large stein of Eidinger Weiss Brau did help dull my pain, however.

I haven't read any of the posts, so forgive any redundancy. I did look at a few stats that were concerning (another Eidiger, please). So here goes:
  • For a while, it looked like our best offense was actually our defense. Of course, they actually played their part pretty well, in the first half that is. They held the "vaunted" Tiger O and their SEC-leading QB in check (5 consecutive 3-and-outs, 2 pick-sixes). Then, as if on cue, Mizzou began gnashing us on the ground. Mercifully, the half ended. Unfortunately, our penchant for lacsidasical defensive play when leading in the 2nd half continued and we conceded 250+ to the Tigers on the ground. To me, this is as much a coaching problem that has not been properly addressed and corrected as it is a player issue. Not a characteristic of a winning program, especially against a bad Missouri team.
  • I owe Austin Appleby an apology, as I was looking forward to the return of Luke. What a performance :headslap:. If I was King Arthur, I'd dub him "Sir Underthrow." He should have been picked 5 or 6 times. We can't really expect to beat a quality team, especially if they load up to stop the run, with QB play like this. Mac said that he really ate him up post game. Well, he should have. I'm going to Jax for the first time since '93 and I'll really be pissed if we cough up a hair ball against the dogs behind this type of QB performance. Another defensive decline won't help matters either. Sheesh!
  • Although Thompson and Perine had some good runs and Scarlett fumbled on the goal line (or thereabouts), I'm past tired of the committee approach. Scarlett is our best back. I also tried to pay attention to him in pass pro. He didn't look lost and made some blocks, though a few of the OL guys did their best turnstile impersonations quite often (Sharpe and Jordan, I'm talking to you), and he couldn't pick them all up. My theory is that Mac fears hurting some of their feelings. If so, he should know that running 2nd and 3rd string should motivate those players to work harder to get better.
  • Speaking of offense, can someone tell me why we passed so much on 1st down? Also, why did we stretch or sweep to the short side of the field so often? I can only scratch my head.
  • F***ing penalties. How many procedure penalties do we have to get before they are corrected? Sharpe seemed to have one every other play, but I guess he needed a head start to keep the Tiger DE from eating his @ss up. Callaway with two in the 1st half. It defies football logic.
  • Hope Davis is ok. Saw where his MRI revealed no broken bones. Kid was pretty salty today. He exploded past blockers and ate up the Tiger backs on several occasions. He and Anzalone are a good pair. Gotta stay healthy, though.
  • Patchwork DL looked pretty good in the 1st half, especially CeCe at DE (he's too light in the @ss to play inside right now). I think we've got some good young guys in this group, they just need seasoning. But let's be clear, they really aren't guys you'd expect to come in and shut down the likes of Bama as freshmen. Again, they need seasoning and we need to recruit some guys that can bring an immediate impact against the best on the schedule.
This didn't feel like a good win to me (even though I'm glad we got one) and Tennessee is trying their best to give us the east, but I won't be shocked if we give it back. Don't misunderstand, I want us to win every time we strap it on, but what I'm seeing this season so far tells me we lack that certain something at this point and haven't really shown any signs of turning it around. For what seems like the hundredth time, we aren't good enough to play like we are playing, especially hitting the kill switch on D in the 2nd half and sputtering on O more often than not. And it seems like we refuse to get it. Nevertheless, Go Gators! Rest up and please, see the need for corrections...and make them before it's too late and we lose some games we really need to win!

I believe LDR is compensating for his injury and he is not mentally back in the game. Injuries can do that to a person. I think he will kick himself and show up better against ugly.

I'm down with a two back approach with Perrine and Scarlett.

We passed to set up the run. Everyone expected the runs so Mac flipped it. Either will work and SOS routinely did the same.

Penalties, no excuse. It was a home game!!!

If our LB stays out we are in trouble.

Will be surprised if we make it to Atlanta but definitely possible.

Whoever shows up in Atlanta is gonna get spanked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.