Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Tennessee-Martin

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It was a great defensive gameplan by Grantham.

I loved that he was shuttling in freshman to play with the first team. They got some good quality playing time. I hope it continues like that.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@Gator By Marriage Here's a couple of clips on the pass pro techniques that will give a better visual of what the OL does (warning - there are Miami players in the first clip)...

The second is from a series by IMG academy that gives you a look at the kick slide (OT blocking outside rush). Just shows technique and footwork...

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
And if you need a laugh and haven't seen this yet, take a look...

We might struggle a little, but...

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Lenton was losing ground on the keeper by the slow QB . Walk ones are better then this guy . It’s hard to imagine why he hasn’t been processed. Taylor was out in so must have been suspension.

Taylor was out w/ an injury (so was Burney). Ancrum and Stewart were suspended (expect Stewart to miss UK also).

Kimbrough was in early as well and Hill had a nice breakup.

Yes, Kimbrough was the first freshman CB in the game. Elam actually was third (behind Hill). Elam is physically as ready as any CB in football, but apparently Kimbrough has played better. Also, Kimbrough doesn't mind tackling, which is nice to see out of a CB.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
And if you need a laugh and haven't seen this yet, take a look...

We might struggle a little, but...
Saw that posted on Saturday and couldn't wrap my head around the possibility that f$u was really THAT disorganized, as much as I want it to be true. I read an article that mentioned the DE was standing up, pointing at the TE, followed by an 11 yard run once the ball was snapped. I wonder if it was meant to simply distract the D? Then again, if that's what willie is gonna rely on to move the ball, I think we'll be okay.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
My feelings exactly Cover. I would like to give kudos to UT Martin's coach. His team was in shape, clean, very prepared and the QB was outstanding for his level of football. I hope they win a lot of games this year!

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
I liked seeing Davis getting touches deep in our territory. Helped him build confidence with his fumblitis.

I liked the emergence of Copeland. He is explosive, fast, gets N-S as fast as he can. He has a smooth gait that can lure a defensive player into an angle that Copeland can negate.

I liked Franks poise and decision making.

I liked the Defense. They played a great game and did it with some young players in there.

EDIT: I liked Elam ... he looked pretty dang comfy and doesn't look or play like a freshman. That might be one of the only bright spots from that recruiting class.
------

I didn't like our running game. It was pretty bad. Our OL should have manhandled that DL ... all game. This is the biggest red flag I see with our offense that was obvious against scUM but since it was a first game it is hard to pinpoint if it was rust, first game jitters or just an OL that just aint close to being there yet. Franks needs to tuck it more, imo, to open it up some. But Im just a dude sitting in my lazy boy watching so I really just dont know.

It doesn't appear we have an explosive offense even though we have a lot of explosive skilled players. And I think this is what is frustrating a lot of us. I am not sure if it is the playcalling or the execution.

I am not a big fan of Toney as I have stated in previous threads (and got lambasted for it), but I don't like him being hurt. We have no other player like him on the team. Clement showed a flash in the game where it looks like something is there but he is playing late in the game for reasons I guess. Copeland looks to be able to fill that roll nicely, but Toney can make stuff happen that nobody else can.

Last edited:

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not sure what to expect from Kentucky as I have yet to watch them. I'm sure they'll bring their best. I'm more worried about what we bring. I guess you can consider us to be on a bit of an uptick, but I'm not wholly convinced of how well we can maintain our consistency. That's the mark of a good team in my mind. Not satisfied with what we've done, but concerned with what we have to do for the next team in front of us. Ideally, we show up tougher and more consistent with our assignments and our toughness. Franks progression will have a large impact. I recall having said this before only to be disappointed. I don't want to be disappointed. Maybe this is the year we grow in a straight line and not a zig zag? We'll know better soon.

Go Gators!

:chomp:

Always appreciate your insight C2. I'm going to enjoy 2-0. I'm pumping these days and we won 45-0. I won't be a hypocrite though and blast anyone for having doubts as I did with previous regimes. I don't know how we'll hold up against actual SEC lines. There's enough schadenfreude to keep me happy though(UM, FSU and UT). It's still too early to judge IMHO.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I am encourage by about 5 "new guys" Mullen is bringing along, playing in this game. Hope they can fill the bill just as well or better vs UK.
Clement vamoosed from a "standing room only crowd" to stretch his legs for a long breakaway -- that was rare.
Copeland is worthy of being really worked into our schemes. Is Copeland fast enough to be used in those "end-arounds"??
We sure could use some "Percy-speed" making tacklers miss their angle.

We might be balanced on a peak, ready as a whole team to have all the puzzling pieces snap together against Kentucky?
So far Mullen seems like he's holding stuff covered up to unleash this week. His high level of enthusiasm seems held in check.
Time to leave Lexington in the shambles of nullibicity.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
I am encourage by about 5 "new guys" Mullen is bringing along, playing in this game. Hope they can fill the bill just as well or better vs UK.
Clement vamoosed from a "standing room only crowd" to stretch his legs for a long breakaway -- that was rare.
Copeland is worthy of being really worked into our schemes. Is Copeland fast enough to be used in those "end-arounds"??
We sure could use some "Percy-speed" making tacklers miss their angle.

We might be balanced on a peak, ready as a whole team to have all the puzzling pieces snap together against Kentucky?
So far Mullen seems like he's holding stuff covered up to unleash this week. His high level of enthusiasm seems held in check.
Time to leave Lexington in the shambles of nullibicity.
I thought Mullen was very vanilla (on purpose) Saturday night.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Saw that posted on Saturday and couldn't wrap my head around the possibility that f$u was really THAT disorganized, as much as I want it to be true. I read an article that mentioned the DE was standing up, pointing at the TE, followed by an 11 yard run once the ball was snapped. I wonder if it was meant to simply distract the D? Then again, if that's what WiLLLLLLLie is gonna rely on to move the ball, I think we'll be okay.

That guy went in motion. It was done on purpose. They still suck though

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
@Gator By Marriage Here's a couple of clips on the pass pro techniques that will give a better visual of what the OL does (warning - there are Miami players in the first clip)...

The second is from a series by IMG academy that gives you a look at the kick slide (OT blocking outside rush). Just shows technique and footwork...

Thanks. Interesting.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Saw that posted on Saturday and couldn't wrap my head around the possibility that f$u was really THAT disorganized, as much as I want it to be true. I read an article that mentioned the DE was standing up, pointing at the TE, followed by an 11 yard run once the ball was snapped. I wonder if it was meant to simply distract the D? Then again, if that's what WiLLLLLLLie is gonna rely on to move the ball, I think we'll be okay.
While it was clearly intentional and for all I know was meant to distract the defense, it was a bad, bad look. (The play was successful, but of course there's no way of really knowing if the distraction worked without actually asking the defensive players.) Taken as a still shot, it adds to the prevailing sentiment that the program is a mess, Willie is in over his head, and the players don't know what they're doing. More terrible optics for a team that is specializing in them at the moment.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
His stats definitely show that, though like Ox observed in his own thread homage to Franks, the playcalls against a lesser team suggest not much trust in Franks.

But, did anyone who might be better able to analyze or saw it in the stadium think many of the screens didn’t work because the passes drew the receiver out of the blocking lane? I thought at least 3-4 times the WR’s blocking had their blocks held but the throw moved the receiver out of the screen and into the defense.

Sounds like we also had receivers open down the field on quite a few plays but Franks doesn't have good field vision except for the deep bombs apparently and the plays turned into dinks and dunks instead usually.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
I liked seeing Davis getting touches deep in our territory. Helped him build confidence with his fumblitis.

I liked the emergence of Copeland. He is explosive, fast, gets N-S as fast as he can. He has a smooth gait that can lure a defensive player into an angle that Copeland can negate.

I liked Franks poise and decision making.

I liked the Defense. They played a great game and did it with some young players in there.

EDIT: I liked Elam ... he looked pretty dang comfy and doesn't look or play like a freshman. That might be one of the only bright spots from that recruiting class.
------

I didn't like our running game. It was pretty bad. Our OL should have manhandled that DL ... all game. This is the biggest red flag I see with our offense that was obvious against scUM but since it was a first game it is hard to pinpoint if it was rust, first game jitters or just an OL that just aint close to being there yet. Franks needs to tuck it more, imo, to open it up some. But Im just a dude sitting in my lazy boy watching so I really just dont know.

It doesn't appear we have an explosive offense even though we have a lot of explosive skilled players. And I think this is what is frustrating a lot of us. I am not sure if it is the playcalling or the execution.

I am not a big fan of Toney as I have stated in previous threads (and got lambasted for it), but I don't like him being hurt. We have no other player like him on the team. Clement showed a flash in the game where it looks like something is there but he is playing late in the game for reasons I guess. Copeland looks to be able to fill that roll nicely, but Toney can make stuff happen that nobody else can.

Thanks, good observations. I am a big fan of Toneys but I do think he is too much a jitterbug.

It’s crazy to form a strong opinion on such little body of work but I feel really good about Copeland. If he could get 8-10 touches ( he won’t) I think he would make things happen. Explosive first step...makes cuts with aggression and purpose and gets north south in a hurry. I really like this kid and I heard Mullen say they’ve given him snaps at RB in practice and he has performed well. I hope plays against Kentucky.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
Thanks, good observations. I am a big fan of Toneys but I do think he is too much a jitterbug.

It’s crazy to form a strong opinion on such little body of work but I feel really good about Copeland. If he could get 8-10 touches ( he won’t) I think he would make things happen. Explosive first step...makes cuts with aggression and purpose and gets north south in a hurry. I really like this kid and I heard Mullen say they’ve given him snaps at RB in practice and he has performed well. I hope plays against Kentucky.

I saw clips of cope running those Percy type plays out of the backfield taking handoffs in fall practice. He and Malik have the best strides of any of the skill players so it’s no surprise the staff is grooming him for that role, especially given the state of our RB recruiting. Perine is leaving so it’ll be pierce, Davis, Wright and clement. I like all our backs, but Cope could potentially get a lot of reps in amongst that bunch.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Lenton was losing ground on the keeper by the slow QB . Walk ones are better then this guy . It’s hard to imagine why he hasn’t been processed. Taylor was out in so must have been suspension. I thought Davis , Bogle and Tj Slaton stood out on defense .
LB coverage is a slight concern as I mentioned in the other thread . But I’m not too worried about that because Brunson shouldn’t be out there much unless we are playing a patsy .

I noticed this too. The QB was increasing his lead on Lenton while Hill ran him down from several steps back.

Just how slow is Quincy Lenton?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.