Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. UMass

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If you haven't reigned in your expectations for this season, now's the time, and that's not necessarily the worst thing. The team McElwain's coaching is still dominated by Muschamp recruits, and that's esp evident on the offensive side of the ball where we continue to spurt and sputter. Now add to that a fourth starting quarterback in three seasons. I see improvement, but it's measured. We have better than average skilled people, esp at running back (Scarlett is something), but the offensive line is no more than adequate at this point. It has to improve for us to realize our goals.

The word serviceable is most often used to describe Del Rio. I'd add to that practical. He's keeping the seat warm while Mac tries to identify someone who can protect the ball and make third-down plays. Del Rio's fine if the offensive line is dominant and we only need him to put it in the air occasionally. Over 40 attempts a game? Forget it. In the SEC, we'll lose more often than we'll win. He's tentative on his grasp of the field and lacks the cannon of Grier, whose quitting on this team set us back a year or so. Del Rio's a game manager and not much more, which explains his being so readily available. Someone carrying a clipboard is the future. Mac has this season and the spring to figure out who.

It's the recruiting that has me most concerned. I expected more in his first full season on the road. I'm not sure what to make of it, whether it points to Mac being deficient or other factors, but in a league where the elite are dining on filet mignon, we're filling the plate with flank steak. It'll do to right the ship but in the long run we need better athletes.

We'll get better. Yesterday amounted to a preseason opener. We dropped passes, threw behind people, lined up wrong, committed silly personal fouls, a lot of the stuff you expect this early in the season and with a roster in full transition. I expect us to be in the chase in the East, but did anyone take note of what Bama did to USC? We're nowhere near that level, and that's the measuring stick.

P.S., I've never seen SOS as loose or happy. He's euphoric and humbled over being back and having his alma mater name the stadium after him. Good times are ahead. I'm glad he'll be around for it. Remember, we are Florida.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
We are nowhere near 'bama but neither is anyone else. Unfortunately that's not a realistic measuring stick for anyone these days. I'd worry about measuring ourselves against the East and F$U for now. We've got a long way to go because essentially Mustank gave us the death penalty.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We are nowhere near 'bama but neither is anyone else. Unfortunately that's not a realistic measuring stick for anyone these days. I'd worry about measuring ourselves against the East and F$U for now. We've got a long way to go because essentially Mustank gave us the death penalty.

You're self-employed like me. You know how it works. You keep track of short- and long-term goals and measure success accordingly. Over the short haul, you want to win the East and take your chances in Atlanta. In the long run, you know you can't call yourself successful without winning the conference and then doing it again.

Bama won't be on top forever. Saban's 64 and he's been there a decade. Ask any athlete or coach who's been on top a long time. To stay there takes enormous commitment and energy. Everyone's giving you their best shot. Eventually, you lose the will. Eventually, there will be cracks in the armor and somebody with superior will and the right talent will exploit it, just as occurred in 2010 and 2013. It's only a matter of time. Why not us?

At the risk of sounding corny, it's why you show up. Not for the intermediate goals, which amount to the journey, but because you want to think you can beat anyone.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
I agree with this logic. I was thinking about it all today.There are only so many slots near the top and we've been there and want to get back. Welcome to the club, so many other schools who have also been and many that have never been also want to be in that few near the top. When we were there, other schools wanted to topple us. It really is cyclical and a very difficult thing to achieve.
We all know we have to first compete for the East, to compete for the SEC, which probably means we're close to competing for bigger things. I mean, look at us, we're not satisfied with last year. You can't be if you want to win it all. But at the same time, I hate to see us be miserable even when we make progress and do some good things. Be thankful. It makes winning more fun and losing more tolerable.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Agreed. You can't win if you don't play but we are a few years away from being loaded and that's going to take winning; Beating F$U, getting to Atlanta and at least not getting embarrassed. And playing exciting football along the way. It's college ball and anybody can win on any Saturday so even if Saban has more talent we've got at least a 50/50 chance. But he's got one helluva machine running that has had every advantage from recruits to facilities to SEC refs. Best case scenario we split the next 5 with him and he retires.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Agreed. You can't win if you don't play but we are a few years away from being loaded and that's going to take winning; Beating F$U, getting to Atlanta and at least not getting embarrassed. And playing exciting football along the way. It's college ball and anybody can win on any Saturday so even if Saban has more talent we've got at least a 50/50 chance. But he's got one helluva machine running that has had every advantage from recruits to facilities to SEC refs. Best case scenario we split the next 5 with him and he retires.
You really think we have a 50/50 shot against bama right now? Really?

Seriously?

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
You are trying to rationalize why we didn't kill a team we were supposed to kill. Call it like it is folks...a crappy opening performance from Mac on down. Too early to hit that panic button yet...but that felt more 2015 than 2016. And that's not good at all.

Eason looked like a freaking stud.

I was REALLY hoping we could reel Eason in. It would have been a chance to fill the void in future potential that walked out the door with Grier and his PEDS, tattoos and pregnant NFL cheerleaders. He just looked like the real deal on film compared to the guys we got who are 3 year projects.

Del Rio didn't live up to the hype that I have been hearing about him on here. He did OK and is a hell of a lot better than Treon but he isn't going to create offense by himself.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
If you haven't reigned in your expectations for this season, now's the time, and that's not necessarily the worst thing. The team McElwain's coaching is still dominated by Muschamp recruits, and that's esp evident on the offensive side of the ball where we continue to spurt and sputter. Now add to that a fourth starting quarterback in three seasons. I see improvement, but it's measured. We have better than average skilled people, esp at running back (Scarlett is something), but the offensive line is no more than adequate at this point. It has to improve for us to realize our goals.

The word serviceable is most often used to describe Del Rio. I'd add to that practical. He's keeping the seat warm while Mac tries to identify someone who can protect the ball and make third-down plays. Del Rio's fine if the offensive line is dominant and we only need him to put it in the air occasionally. Over 40 attempts a game? Forget it. In the SEC, we'll lose more often than we'll win. He's tentative on his grasp of the field and lacks the cannon of Grier, whose quitting on this team set us back a year or so. Del Rio's a game manager and not much more, which explains his being so readily available. Someone carrying a clipboard is the future. Mac has this season and the spring to figure out who.

It's the recruiting that has me most concerned. I expected more in his first full season on the road. I'm not sure what to make of it, whether it points to Mac being deficient or other factors, but in a league where the elite are dining on filet mignon, we're filling the plate with flank steak. It'll do to right the ship but in the long run we need better athletes.

We'll get better. Yesterday amounted to a preseason opener. We dropped passes, threw behind people, lined up wrong, committed silly personal fouls, a lot of the stuff you expect this early in the season and with a roster in full transition. I expect us to be in the chase in the East, but did anyone take note of what Bama did to USC? We're nowhere near that level, and that's the measuring stick.

P.S., I've never seen SOS as loose or happy. He's euphoric and humbled over being back and having his alma mater name the stadium after him. Good times are ahead. I'm glad he'll be around for it. Remember, we are Florida.

Largely agree with this. I'm not a recruiting goon but if you look at all the successful programs who are contenders year in year out they are always pulling in highly ranked recruiting classes. It was certainly true of Meyer years and Spurrier years. Saban does it and LSU too. You have some one offs (Auburn, Clemson?) but they are exceptions.

Mediocre QBs have killing our HCs and OCs for a few years now and I fear Mac could suffer the same fate unless something changes and I don't see it in our current stable of QBs.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
You're self-employed like me. You know how it works. You keep track of short- and long-term goals and measure success accordingly. Over the short haul, you want to win the East and take your chances in Atlanta. In the long run, you know you can't call yourself successful without winning the conference and then doing it again.

Bama won't be on top forever. Saban's 64 and he's been there a decade. Ask any athlete or coach who's been on top a long time. To stay there takes enormous commitment and energy. Everyone's giving you their best shot. Eventually, you lose the will. Eventually, there will be cracks in the armor and somebody with superior will and the right talent will exploit it, just as occurred in 2010 and 2013. It's only a matter of time. Why not us?

At the risk of sounding corny, it's why you show up. Not for the intermediate goals, which amount to the journey, but because you want to think you can beat anyone.
I like your line of thinking. We're all just waiting for saban to die

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Largely agree with this. I'm not a recruiting goon but if you look at all the successful programs who are contenders year in year out they are always pulling in highly ranked recruiting classes. It was certainly true of Meyer years and Spurrier years. Saban does it and LSU too. You have some one offs (Auburn, Clemson?) but they are exceptions.

Mediocre QBs have killing our HCs and OCs for a few years now and I fear Mac could suffer the same fate unless something changes and I don't see it in our current stable of QBs.
Auburn and Clemson are not outliers, they are more examples. Both teams, Clemson especially, consistently get top ten classes, Clemson even around top 5. Dabo has been kicking our ass at recruiting for 5 years.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
You really think we have a 50/50 shot against bama right now? Really?

Seriously?
Yes. You must be new to college football. Let me point out to you the results of this weekend:
Unranked Appy State almost beat #9 Tenn
Unranked Auburn almost beat # 2 Clemson
#15 Houston beat #3 OK
Unranked Wisconsin beat #5 LSU
Unranked TAM beat #16 UCLA
Unranked Texas beat #10 ND
We've been playing F$U for decades and you can almost throw out the rankings when we play. Yes when college teams play it has a lot to do with emotion and will. So yeah, if we get to Atlanta I give us a 50/50 shot.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
Yes. You must be new to college football. Let me point out to you the results of this weekend:
#15 Houston beat #3 OK
We've been playing F$U for decades and you can almost throw out the rankings when we play. Yes when college teams play it has a lot to do with emotion and will. So yeah, if we get to Atlanta I give us a 50/50 shot.

Need me some of that Kool-aid.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
#15 Houston beat #3 OK
This is the exact reason I wish we did t have preseason polls. I wish polls would start after week 4 just like playoff (old BCS) polls start in November. It takes a little time.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
An off-target claim is that we got LDR because none of the somebodies wanted him.
Truth is we got LDR because he latched onto the McNuss train - that was logical.
As to recruiting, we have no choice but to wait until it starts happening. Now that should
come as we beat FSU etc. Say FSU & Bama split 21 5* recruits. If we take our third of
those, we'll each have an equal 7 5* recruits. Play (wins) will even out, provided we
have an ingenious HC and staff.

Right now, fans might be rushing it and jumping ship? Mac has just for 1 game gotten
some of the players needed to score better than he has everyet had. :confused: Let's watch
closely this 2nd game and see how this new team performs. Does anyone think Mac
will not study those plays & players on films, therefrom making changes, pointing out
to players rights & wrongs.?? He'll even point out to his coaches how all can get better.
They will practice differently for UK.

Last edited:

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
#15 Houston beat #3 OK

So, you are saying Umass had a 50/50 shot to beat us? For it to be a coin flip(which is what you are claiming) all things must be equal...talent, coaching, etc.

50/50 vs Bama?

You're smoking crack.

Wuerffel4Pres

No offense
Lifetime Member
Aug 27, 2016
Just a compassionate (passionate) fan with plenty of values the conservatives think they own. I see improvement and have lots of hope for the season. As opposed to our chatroom whichs should have this as the logo...........
6c5d16b11b4502698dea680684b8e260.jpg

After 7 f^n years of putrid, miserable and little to no offense, can you blame us?! When is it ever going to change? I've seen no other major program struggle this much for this long offensively. It's beyond ridiculous and sad at this point. There's no word for it anymore. And until things change, I cannot for the life of me, believe they ever will.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I was REALLY hoping we could reel Eason in. It would have been a chance to fill the void in future potential that walked out the door with Grier and his PEDS, tattoos and pregnant NFL cheerleaders. He just looked like the real deal on film compared to the guys we got who are 3 year projects.

Del Rio didn't live up to the hype that I have been hearing about him on here. He did OK and is a hell of a lot better than Treon but he isn't going to create offense by himself.

Give him time - heck that game didnt look much different than Griers last game against Missouri and even though the level of competition was different it is his first start.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
An off-target claim is that we got LDR because none of the somebodies wanted him.
Truth is we got LDR because he latched onto the McNuss train - that was logical.
As to recruiting, we have no choice but to wait until it starts happening. Now that should
come as we beat FSU etc. Say FSU & Bama split 21 5* recruits. If we take our third of those,
we'll each have an equal 7 5* recruits. Play (wins) will even out, provided we have an ingenious
HC and staff.

Right now, fans might be rushing it and jumping ship? Mac has just for 1 game gotten some of
the players needed to score better than he has everyet had. :confused: Let's watch closely this 2nd game
and see how this new team performs. Does anyone think Mac will not study those plays & players
on films, therefrom making changes, pointing out to players rights & wrongs.?? He'll even point
out to his coaches how all can get better. They will practice differently for UK.

No offense Rog, but you should give some serious thought about getting your CAT SCAN updated....

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
come as we beat FSU etc. Say FSU & Bama split 21 5* recruits. If we take our third of those,
we'll each have an equal 7 5* recruits. Play (wins) will even out, provided we have an ingenious
HC and staff.

Right now, fans might be rushing it and jumping ship? Mac has just for 1 game gotten some of
the players needed to score better than he has everyet had. :confused: Let's watch closely this 2nd game
and see how this new team performs. Does anyone think Mac will not study those plays & players
on films, therefrom making changes, pointing out to players rights & wrongs.?? He'll even point
out to his coaches how all can get better. They will practice differently for UK.

:exactly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator