Warning: Political Takes Bucks and Magic boycott NBA playoff game

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Interesting that you picked Tucker Carlson. :grin:

Here's the thing. I don't think I've ever come across anyone in my life who doesn't believe black lives matter. And yes, I get that saying all lives matter is diluting the point black people are trying to make when they say black lives matter. I also think the vast majority of Americans understand that there are many things that black people face in their lives that are the remnants of past racial inequities and injustices. And I think that most people believe in trying to give people a hand up that occasionally may mean giving them a hand out.

But when people who are just going about there normal lives minding their own business trying to do the best they can for their families, obeying the law, paying their taxes and treating all people as they come get told that they are racists, bigots, xenophobes, homophobes and any other kind of phobe you can think of just because they are white and believe that capitalism is good, police aren't bad, and that laws and borders are there for a reason you shouldn't be surprised if they get their hackles up. And when those same people see people rioting and destroying property, attacking police and innocent people and destroying local economies I would hope most thinking people would understand why they view a lot of the "protesting" and rhetoric they hear from said "protesters" with a jaded eye and ear. Specially when much of the rhetoric is provably false and the people and organizations saying it also want to dismantle police forces, dismantle the family structure of a mom, dad and kids, are avowed Marxists and want to restructure the entire country. The same country that has done more good, sacrificed more in lives and treasure and lifted more people out of poverty than any country in the history of man.
iu

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015

Here's the thing. I don't think I've ever come across anyone in my life who doesn't believe black lives matter. And yes, I get that saying all lives matter is diluting the point black people are trying to make when they say black lives matter. I also think the vast majority of Americans understand that there are many things that black people face in their lives that are the remnants of past racial inequities and injustices. And I think that most people believe in trying to give people a hand up that occasionally may mean giving them a hand out.

But when people who are just going about there normal lives minding their own business trying to do the best they can for their families, obeying the law, paying their taxes and treating all people as they come get told that they are racists, bigots, xenophobes, homophobes and any other kind of phobe you can think of just because they are white and believe that capitalism is good, police aren't bad, and that laws and borders are there for a reason you shouldn't be surprised if they get their hackles up. And when those same people see people rioting and destroying property, attacking police and innocent people and destroying local economies I would hope most thinking people would understand why they view a lot of the "protesting" and rhetoric they hear from said "protesters" with a jaded eye and ear. Specially when much of the rhetoric is provably false and the people and organizations saying it also want to dismantle police forces, dismantle the family structure of a mom, dad and kids, are avowed Marxists and want to restructure the entire country. The same country that has done more good, sacrificed more in lives and treasure and lifted more people out of poverty than any country in the history of man.

THIS! Excellent post Divits

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

I think a subtle shot at Rocky IV mixed in somewhere would've been a nice touch. But otherwise, well said.

Oklahoma Gator

Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2015

Nailed it. I hate needing to preface my comments on here with “as a black man” except for when it may lend context for what I have to say next. That being said:
As a black man, I have an incredibly hard time accepting all, most, some, or almost any assertions of the BLM movement. So much so that I recoil when I see such a full throated endorsement of all of the tenants by so many who live a significantly more privileged life than I do, especially as I know the amount of thought, research and factual analysis I’ve done on the subject. All of which points to the same anecdotal experience that I’ve lived; namely that 99.98% aren’t racist and generally are busy enough with their own lives to try keep anyone else down. There is no secret army of police roaming the country killing black people at random and most people who find themselves on the receiving end of police aggression made a series of decisions (both over the course of their lives and in that particular interaction) that resulted in that flash point. The seeming inability or unwillingness to critically examine the facts in each of this cases is what is most disheartening. Not that we have a different opinion, but that there is no public attempt to even consider facts counter to the narrative. Is everyone born on equal footing in life? Absolutely not and it would be preposterous to assume they were or that society could engineer any thing close to an even starting point. All that can be done is to remove any external barriers to the individual and allow them to rise or fall while helping folks who were sideswiped by circumstances. I just miss the days of reason and well thought out arguments being the minimum barrier to public discourse.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Nailed it. I hate needing to preface my comments on here with “as a black man” except for when it may lend context for what I have to say next. That being said:
As a black man, I have an incredibly hard time accepting all, most, some, or almost any assertions of the BLM movement. So much so that I recoil when I see such a full throated endorsement of all of the tenants by so many who live a significantly more privileged life than I do, especially as I know the amount of thought, research and factual analysis I’ve done on the subject. All of which points to the same anecdotal experience that I’ve lived; namely that 99.98% aren’t racist and generally are busy enough with their own lives to try keep anyone else down. There is no secret army of police roaming the country killing black people at random and most people who find themselves on the receiving end of police aggression made a series of decisions (both over the course of their lives and in that particular interaction) that resulted in that flash point. The seeming inability or unwillingness to critically examine the facts in each of this cases is what is most disheartening. Not that we have a different opinion, but that there is no public attempt to even consider facts counter to the narrative. Is everyone born on equal footing in life? Absolutely not and it would be preposterous to assume they were or that society could engineer any thing close to an even starting point. All that can be done is to remove any external barriers to the individual and allow them to rise or fall while helping folks who were sideswiped by circumstances. I just miss the days of reason and well thought out arguments being the minimum barrier to public discourse.

Blown away. Awesome.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
You just renewed my faith In America.
I’m humbled , thank you.

Any chance you could speak to our team?
Sounds like a joke but someone with your experiences and obvious compassion and love for our country could make a huge difference in the narrative That’s being pressed into young minds.

Awesome post

Thank you sir.

QueenCityGator

University of Florida Alumnus
Aug 12, 2014
Have you considered Swamp Gas? You may find it’s a better fit for you on multiple levels.
From what I’ve read on this website, I’d get the impression that UF is a liberal communist hellhole. I wonder if people on other school’s forums bash their school and its players as much as UF and its players are bashed on here. Not saying UF or any school are perfect, and criticism is ok, but you’re supposed to love your school even if it’s imperfect.
Does Swamp Gas have as many Gator haters as this site?

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don’t have the privilege of shoving my politics down your throat while I am at work. Do you?

You and I don't have the privilege because nobody is interested in paying us millions to entertain them on TV to do anything. Your platform consists of the water cooler. All workplaces do not operate the same, especially in entertainment.

Comparing two completely different things. When it comes to smart phones are a direct part of our society and life. it's a one time payment for something that is part of our society. The substitute product is just another phone. For NBA,NFL, etc... they are just entertainment. The substitute to a phone is a phone. The substitute product for watching a sport league, is museums, walking, parks, movies, television shows, etc. So this bad comparison is completely apples and oranges.

Much like what was addressed during the Disney stockholder meetings this week, when you force social issues into the escapism people are looking for you lose profit. Do I believe the NBA, NFL will fold? No. But could they end up like Disney where they lose so much earnings they will have to correct course? absolutely.

I believe anyone should have free speech without fear of the government. But companies answer to stakeholders, and they want to maximize profits. What happened when the NFL was losing ratings for a variety of reasons? They corrected course. Now that was just a minor decrease in ratings which led to a decrease in ad revenue... The NBA, MLB, NASCAR are already under performing their contracts before all of this, so now add alienating people who just want to escape from all the BS.... is that going to hurt or help those numbers.

I don't care where you stand on this issue, it's about business. The only issue in business is maximizing profits, and this doesn't help reach that goal, in both the short or the long term.

The NBA has a monopoly on the business of professional basketball and the NFL has a monopoly on the business of professional football. Some of you are speaking as if this is not the case. People can watch other things, but sports are deeply engrained in American culture. That's why you're on a sports message board right now. People do not cope well without them. Will we see the same thing in the NFL as we're seeing in the NBA? No. The two leagues function very differently, but it is foolish to pretend that there is a comparable alternative to be found in entertainment under the current circumstances. The NBA will lose money until people realize they can't stomach baseball (a dying sport) for a month straight. The only people that should be genuinely triggered by the protests and boycotts are the people who subconsciously feel some culpability for the status quo.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
Oh, it’s this lovely game where the object is to take a round ball and place it into a basket placed 10 feet high in the air. Of course, that’s easier for some players who have decided inherent advantages(born taller, faster, stronger), but no one complains and it’s still considered a level playing field, because after all, theoretically there’s nothing that prevents others like you and I who were not born with said advantages, from succeeding at it.

Anyway, the object is to accumulate points via these baskets, while playing within a well documented set of rules. Of course, if and when you break one of those rules, referees show up to inform you of your error. Generally, whether one agrees or not, and while certainly not happy with this decision, the offender concedes and accepts the consequence. Occasionally there’s more resistance involved, and in extreme cases, the player must be removed from the game and face even greater punishment, which was entirely avoidable.

You should try watching sometime.
Doesn't sound very interesting, think I will pass.

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
Doesn't sound very interesting, think I will pass.

Way more interesting with stitched leather balls and peach baskets...the peaks of basketball was the hook shot and Michael Jordan...that’s it

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator