Bucs coaches excited about "impressive" Kyle Trask

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
Dont' be surprised if his arm strength doesn't get better. Pro strength coaches know their shyt.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I am pulling hard for Trask to succeed. I hope he becomes the next GOAT.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Remember, Trask has the least playing-time experience of any past or present NFL QB.??
There have been several with even less experience. Kyler Murray only started one year in college and had thrown a total of 90 passes in college before that. Kurt Warner started one season at Northern Iowa and was pretty much a scrub before that season. But the most remarkable QB of all has to be Matt Cassell. He never started a game at USC (at QB), where he backed up first Carson Palmer and then Matt Leinart. He threw a total of 33 passes with zero TDs. Despite this, he had a long NFL career where he played all or part of 14 seasons and started 81 games.

I have to think there are others.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
There have been several with even less experience. Kyler Murray only started one year in college and had thrown a total of 90 passes in college before that. Kurt Warner started one season at Northern Iowa and was pretty much a scrub before that season. But the most remarkable QB of all has to be Matt Cassell. He never started a game at USC (at QB), where he backed up first Carson Palmer and then Matt Leinart. He threw a total of 33 passes with zero TDs. Despite this, he had a long NFL career where he played all or part of 14 seasons and started 81 games.

I have to think there are others.

Matt Jones in this same draft class had the same number of starts as Trask. The Bears former quarterback Turbiksy only started 13 games. Usually if you start less than 22 games in college the chances of truly being successful long term aren't in your favor. Not to say it can't happen, but it's the exception not the rule.

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I’m pulling for him to succeed and really hope he reaches his goal. It won’t be easy though. There just can’t be that many female midgets in the world.

Loogis

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
This is a good poll question: What Gator QB had the best NFL career? What about Spurrier?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
This is a good poll question: What Gator QB had the best NFL career? What about Spurrier?

Grossman
Matthews(for longevity)
Johnson(see above)
Spurrier
DW(could’ve been higher if he’d wanted to)

That would be my order.

Assuming we’re not counting Newton,
Brissett, or Driskel.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Grossman
Matthews(for longevity)
Johnson(see above)
Spurrier
DW(could’ve been higher if he’d wanted to)

That would be my order.

Assuming we’re not counting Newton,
Brissett, or Driskel.

Would put Spurrier and DW above Johnson.

Little surprised that former Iggles quarterback John Reeves didn't make your list. Also would be in the mix with Spurrier and DW in placement, was in the league 9 years.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Would put Spurrier and DW above Johnson.

Little surprised that former Iggles quarterback John Reeves didn't make your list. Also would be in the mix with Spurrier and DW in placement, was in the league 9 years.

Honestly, I’m going strictly off stories when it comes to Spurrier. I think I’ve seen one play from him in the league. Also, I do agree that DW could’ve been higher. No reason he couldn’t have stuck around much longer than he did, which may have overtaken everyone I listed minus Rex. He just had other priorities.

On Reeves, like Steve, I don’t remember him at all. RC was my first QB. As a 41 year old, I don’t get to say things like “way before my time” very often, so I’m taking advantage of it.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Honestly, I’m going strictly off stories when it comes to Spurrier. I think I’ve seen one play from him in the league. Also, I do agree that DW could’ve been higher. No reason he couldn’t have stuck around much longer than he did, which may have overtaken everyone I listed minus Rex. He just had other priorities.

On Reeves, like Steve, I don’t remember him at all. RC was my first QB. As a 41 year old, I don’t get to say things like “way before my time” very often, so I’m taking advantage of it.

Agree on Wuerfell, he had multiple offers to stay in the league (not just the skins) when he walked away. We are in the same age group, but I remember hearing my dad and his drinking buddies talk about Reeves before games in the 80s. His son was our quarterback for a season in high school, before John took the job as South Carolina's OC in the 90s.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Not to be a heretic, especially given my avatar, but I don't typically associate Good Gator QB in the NFL with SOS/HBC.
Maybe I'm wrong, but the stats don't look that great.

He mainly sat behind Brodie and then ran for his life at Tampa Bay.
Might have been a really great QB under different circumstances, but given the stats, it doesn't look good.

Two things that stuck out:
Rex and SOS threw the same number of INTs: 60
Danny's middle name is Carl.

Steve Spurrier Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com
Danny Wuerffel Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com
Rex Grossman Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Not to be a heretic, especially given my avatar, but I don't typically associate Good Gator QB in the NFL with SOS/HBC.
Maybe I'm wrong, but the stats don't look that great.

He mainly sat behind Brodie and then ran for his life at Tampa Bay.
Might have been a really great QB under different circumstances, but given the stats, it doesn't look good.

Two things that stuck out:
Rex and SOS threw the same number of INTs: 60
Danny's middle name is Carl.

Steve Spurrier Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com
Danny Wuerffel Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com
Rex Grossman Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Thanks for sharing. Another factoid I found interesting, none of those three Gator QBs completely bailed on a southeast-Asian country "just because". I respect that. Shows character.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
You ever seen Joe Namath's career stats? 173 TD's and 220 interceptions.

yikes... oh, and a Super Bowl ring with a pre-game Win Guarantee.
also... he had nice sideburns and a sweet fur coat.

advantage: Namath

603d68673488c4000ceb71bbd82999b5.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.