Bucs coaches excited about "impressive" Kyle Trask

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Bloomington, Indiana is the real deal...you are thinking Bloomington, Illinois.

You are correct... I have been to Bloomington, "Chill-inois", but not the Indiana version.

Rex is officially "Sofla-Certified" (TM)

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Grossman
Matthews(for longevity)
Johnson(see above)
Spurrier
DW(could’ve been higher if he’d wanted to)

That would be my order.

Assuming we’re not counting Newton,
Brissett, or Driskel.

I understand not counting Newton and Brissett considering their lack of playing time in a Gator uniform, but Driskel started several games for us over multiple seasons. He counts even though he likely won't end up high on the list.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I understand not counting Newton and Brissett considering their lack of playing time in a Gator uniform, but Driskel started several games for us over multiple seasons. He counts even though he likely won't end up high on the list.

I don’t really disagree. But where is the line drawn? I think Brissett started 3 games, maybe 4, over two seasons. Not the same as Driskel, but about the same as Murphy. I just think it becomes too subjective if you start breaking it down that way. Either they all have to be included, or none of them.

The exception would definitely be someone like Newton, mainly because he never started a game here. Even Berlin has a better UF resume than that.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
I don’t really disagree. But where is the line drawn? I think Brissett started 3 games, maybe 4, over two seasons. Not the same as Driskel, but about the same as Murphy. I just think it becomes too subjective if you start breaking it down that way. Either they all have to be included, or none of them.

The exception would definitely be someone like Newton, mainly because he never started a game here. Even Berlin has a better UF resume than that.

Where does...and he was a conceited creep get factored in? Or is that for another Forum?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

They don't enter the draft as a Gator they aren't considered a Gator draftee, that's how the NFL does it. That's how I look at it.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
In his defense, I think he was generally pretty hammered.

Speaking of addictions.
A clean and sober John Reaves would have easily been the answer to this initial question. A clear minded Reaves would have been a major star in the NFL but as we’ve been told “Cocaine is a he!!uva a drug.”

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Speaking of addictions.
A clean and sober John Reaves would have easily been the answer to this initial question. A clear minded Reaves would have been a major star in the NFL but as we’ve been told “Cocaine is a he!!uva a drug.”

I've mentioned this guy before as a big "what if" in Gator football history.

Had Haywood Sullivan stuck with football instead of baseball he would have likely been a stud in the NFL.

All the stars had aligned for the Gators and Sullivan to have a big year in 1953. He was all-SEC as a junior in 1952 with a lot of talent coming back. Instead, he made the choice to sign with the Red Sox and skipped his senior season.

He was a prototypical pro-style QB, 6'4" and 215 in the early 1950's with an accurate and strong arm. He wasn't just a big kid, he could throw. People used to compare John Reaves to Haywood Sullivan in terms of size, skill, and arm talent.

Baseball was changing their rules so Sullivan had a shot at a big signing bonus if he left to play baseball that he would not be able to get after his senior year. Also, the NFL wasn't that big a deal in the early 50's. Baseball was king, more money and easier on the body.

I believe if Sullivan made a different choice, we would have won the SEC in '53 and if he had chosen the NFL, he would have been a stud there.

Haywood Sullivan - Wikipedia

Alex.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
They don't enter the draft as a Gator they aren't considered a Gator draftee, that's how the NFL does it. That's how I look at it.

I think if they finish their undergrad degree at UF or their last college season is at UF, then they should count. It makes sense for the NFL to use the most recent team, but I don't see why fans should ignore the fact that guys like Driskel and Franks are UF alumni.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Rather than all this back and forth isn't it easier to just point out there has never a Gator QB who amounted to shlt in the NFL? Rex is the closest, and whenever he's mentioned it's as the brunt of the joke. Something like "hell, even Rex Grossman played in a Super Bowl!".

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think if they finish their undergrad degree at UF or their last college season is at UF, then they should count. It makes sense for the NFL to use the most recent team, but I don't see why fans should ignore the fact that guys like Driskel and Franks are UF alumni.

I don't deny they are alumni.. they are. But they choose to finish their careers elsewhere. In the two specific cases I don't blame them for their decisions. They unfortunitely were part of the worst offensive coaching in my lifetime.

I don't blame kids unless they were going to get kicked out (Newton) or did something incredibly stupid (Grier, Hambrick).

Driskel, Franks, Berlin, etc... all went somewhere else to have a better opportunity than they were going to receive at UF, and made the right decision for them. Can't fault a kid from moving on to a better situation, especially if they fulfilled their educational commitment.

I root for them (except when playing the Cowboys), but if we are going to compare professional accomplishments, they entered their profession as a member of the other program.

If there is to be line, that is the line.

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
Rather than all this back and forth isn't it easier to just point out there has never a Gator QB who amounted to shlt in the NFL? Rex is the closest, and whenever he's mentioned it's as the brunt of the joke. Something like "hell, even Rex Grossman played in a Super Bowl!".
I agree. What our QBs have done in the league is nothing short of embarrasing. I have hope that Trask can change that.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
but Driskel started several games for us over multiple seasons. He counts even though he likely won't end up high on the list.
Im not sure whether GatorJB has an affinity for the special ed, or he just has an appreciation of a guy managing to play like total shyt his entire career but still come back year after year.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Im not sure whether GatorJB has an affinity for the special ed, or he just has an appreciation of a guy managing to play like total shyt his entire career but still come back year after year.
By all accounts he's a good dude. Mediocre at best QB, but good dude.

One interesting tidbit is his PR folks have apparently successfully suppressed the moped thumbs up picture (which your post is begging for as a reply). It used to be the first thing that came up when you searched "Jeff Driskel". Now you can search "Jeff Driskel Thumbs Up" or "Jeff Driskel Moped" and nothing. Must not have cared for that picture too much lol. Found it on twatter though with a bonus picture of his ass just for you Donk. Speaking of Donk, white boy's got badonkadonk :eek2:.
CapPjg5UUAAvgeo

Last edited:

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

I'll give you an analogy to help you understand where I'm coming from. Let's say that we decided to rank the whoreness level of the moms of everyone on this board. To your dismay, you know that your mom has slept with an unusually large number of men due to her professional obligations. To make yourself feel better, you only want to count the men she's been with since the board's inception; however, your mom has been whoring herself out for decades. Thus, all of those guys should be counted whether you like it or not.

Same applies to former Gator QBs if they graduate from UF, even if they weren't very good while here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.