Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Desantis has been pretty moderate in office honestly.
That's all I will say about it so it doesn't run this thread into the PF :lol:
Well it was widely reported in this thread that the only reason it happened out west was because the state is a communist hellhole of liberal ideology. I guess Florida fits that description now? Or maybe we're politicizing things that aren't political because we project a little bit too much?

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
The NCAA is a voluntary association. It has never been illegal to pay athletes. It just ruins eligibility under association rules.

If the applied pressure succeeds they can kiss non-revenue sports and the opportunities they provide goodbye.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Well it was widely reported in this thread that the only reason it happened out west was because the state is a communist hellhole of liberal ideology. I guess Florida fits that description now? Or maybe we're politicizing things that aren't political because we project a little bit too much?
It's a stupid decision.
Made by people that have no clue about the subject matter.
It will lead to unintended consequences and everyone will suffer.
That pretty much sums up liberal ideology :dunno:

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Completely out of context, but I dated a girl in high school who ended up going to Stanford. She met a guy there who was the captain of the water polo team and a US Olympian. They got married and had kids, their daughters were on the USA Olympic water polo team in Rio. I'm just guessing here, but had she stayed at home and married me instead, her life might have been somewhat less idyllic.

In other news, water is wet. :stickpoke:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Im all for destroying the NCAA. They are the UN of college athletics.

Im also against govt thinking they need to fvkk it up even more.

Fla gov sounds like a turd cut from McCain cloth.

Last edited:

GatorKen714

May 24, 2018
The only thing stupid is the fact that a law was passed to make something legal that was already legal. It's just against NCAA rules to get paid for endorsements. (others have posted the same comment as this but I guess it's not salacious enough to keep the thread going)

It could be said the same for all this LBGT, Womens Lib, etc. they already have same rights and protections under the law the same as every other citizen but we are going to pass laws to affirm the right they already have. Seems like a waste of time.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
No more political ideology garbage in this thread. Any more will be deleted.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Destroy what? The paid football players are just gonna use the extra money to bet on the games.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Looks like the lobbying money has found it's way to Ox.
I say pay em. Everyone already does. Just ask Clemson.

Yes. Everyone does. The cost of a Duke education is, today, $276,676. That’s over $69k per year. Add to that the value of coaching, training, full medical care, tutoring, the stipends they do receive already, etc. etc.

There are 11 Duke players in the NFL today out of the hundreds who played there the last 15-20 years.

There are 22 on NBA rosters,some of whom stayed just a year at Duke.

How many thousands played in all their sports?

What is the value of a Duke degree? A Duke education? A Duke network of friends and alumni?

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Yes. Everyone does. The cost of a Duke education is, today, $276,676. That’s over $69k per year. Add to that the value of coaching, training, full medical care, tutoring, the stipends they do receive already, etc. etc.

There are 11 Duke players in the NFL today out of the hundreds who played there the last 15-20 years.

There are 22 on NBA rosters,some of whom stayed just a year at Duke.

How many thousands played in all their sports?

What is the value of a Duke degree? A Duke education? A Duke network of friends and alumni?
ask Lboy. MS in finance or something like that.........

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
...... ....... $ ...... football ..... $ ...... California ...... $ bad juju ..... Florida ....... $ uh-oh ...... end of times ..... TV $ ...... crazy ......

* This post has been edited of political content.

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
So our honored governor thinks he needs to get some face time in front of the cameras over paying college athletes, an issue he has no connection with whatsoever and one that has no upside for the state. A lot better use of his time than going after something really strange - like helmet laws for motorcycles.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Shouldn’t this thread be in the PF? I know its about sports but its about the political part of sports.

no it shouldn’t be. You all make it political. It’s a position of whether you believe college athletes should be paid.

I think they should. It’s capitalism at its finest.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
no it shouldn’t be. You all make it political. It’s a position of whether you believe college athletes should be paid.

I think they should. It’s capitalism at its finest.
Haven’t made one political statement in this thread...

The idea isn’t political but it’s implementation certainly has been. That’s the point. It’s like renewable energy - the business case is easy to make. But liberals champion it as purely environmental (don’t want to seem like a capitalist) and conservatives don’t want to appear liberal (quietly, Texas is behind only California in renewable energy - they just don’t advertise it).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.