88drgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
The 12 teams that can make the College Football Playoff

12. Florida Gators
i

Chance to make playoff: 6.6%
Chance to win title: 0.8%
Trends in their favor: The undefeated Gators haven't earned much, if any, playoff talk, and have been deservedly overshadowed by Georgia in the SEC East, but as far as playoff trends go, they're in better shape than Notre Dame and Penn State. The Gators have the nonconference Power 5 win over Miami in the season opener and are No. 4 in the Strength of Record metric. Florida is also No. 14 in defensive efficiency and No. 12 in remaining strength of schedule.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Interesting how they rank these. IMO, UF and Pedo should be rated ahead of ND and Oregon. They need other teams to lose or break certain ways. If UF or Pedo run the table from here on out they’re in. ND & Oregon can’t say this.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Nice to be talked about in a positive way but we're not Championship material, yet!

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Stranger things have happened.
Just beat Ugly.

Stranger things have certainly happened. One of them was us winning the natty in 06. We were hardly some offensive juggernaut that season but the stars aligned and it all came together at the end. Go back and look how many points we put up that year, lots of unhappy campers in gatorland. We scored less than 30 points in 8 straight games, including 17 total in the last game of that streak (cock block game). Nope, not even die hard Gator fans were thinking BCS championship that year.

2006 Florida Gators Schedule Stats | ESPN

Last edited:

Gator515151

2018 Pick 'Em Champ
Aug 16, 2018
I'd say we have a chance every year. All we have to do is go undefeated. Who is ever going to deny an undefeated SEC champion?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'd say we have a chance every year. All we have to do is go undefeated. Who is ever going to deny an undefeated SEC champion?
yeah... ok.

Yes if we won all of our games, we'd be in the playoff. Every P5 team can say that.

But we aren't beating Ugly and Trailerbammer with this squad of leftovers. Im not even going to say quality leftovers.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
That's all you got out of it and all your intelligence could muster? For someone as prolific a writer as you, I would have expected a more Socratic analysis.
Socratic? That level of discourse is not accepted here. More about hot takes. Also, our roster isn’t talented enough, our run game (stuff rate in the hundreds) and OL are not strong enough, and our defense is far too risky to sustain a season’s worth of success. Hence, no chance - or, to make you feel better, minuscule/0.1% chance.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
ND already lost. Unless they are up against a 2 loss conference champ, not happening. Recent history of massive collapses are too fresh.
You seriously underestimate the power of the writers.

ND has been overrated my entire adult life and it wont stop anytime soon.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Stranger things have certainly happened. One of them was us winning the natty in 06. We were hardly some offensive juggernaut that season but the stars aligned and it all came together at the end. Go back and look how many points we put up that year, lots of unhappy campers in gatorland. We scored less than 30 points in 8 straight games, including 17 total in the last game of that streak (cock block game). Nope, not even die hard Gator fans were thinking BCS championship that year.

2006 Florida Gators Schedule Stats | ESPN
We had an elite defense and STs, and elite offensive talent even though we had not the slightest clue how to use it.

We dont have an elite anything now.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
You seriously underestimate the power of the writers.

ND has been overrated my entire adult life and it wont stop anytime soon.
I don’t underestimate but I know what ND needs to do - finish undefeated. They haven’t made the playoff or BCS title game with a blemish. When they’ve had one or two losses, they go to a major bowl.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Our chances?

zerohed.png
I like your imagery.
That guy is the ultimate "rise from the ashes to stardom". He was dead in the water. No chance to be great with his lifestyle and he fooled them all. Sort of like Kyle fckn TRASK..............so continue your defeatist attitude while our guys get healthy and improve each week.
Well, I won't back down
No, I won't back down
You can stand me up at the gates of hell
But I won't back down

No, I'll stand my ground
Won't be turned around
And I'll keep this world from draggin' me down
Gonna stand my ground
And I won't back down

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
If ND runs the table, they are in for sure. Youre kidding yourself.

I would have to relook at the schedules but I think ND likely gets in with one loss again. No 2 loss team will go over them. I doubt a 1 loss PAC 12 champ would either. A 1 loss Big 12 or Big Ten champ would go over them I think.

Last edited:

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Wann
well, we’re probably going to see. Their remaining games are all winnable.
My point was simply that an undefeated SEC or Big Ten team is going to be automatic. A one loss ND is not. I don’t think either UF or Penn State can actually do it this season, btw.
Looking ahead, I could see a one loss SEC team (especially if there are two undefeateds in the SECCG) or a one loss Big 12 team (OK or Texas) getting in ahead of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator