Chatterbox during games

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorbreath;n297138 said:
Yeah, defenses really took over in the second half. Or the crappy offenses did. Either way.

A few weeks ago I learned an object lesson on "distracted TV watching". I streamed "Narcos" on Netflix (excellent show, by the way). Anyway, I do have a habit of surfing the web while watching TV - mostly with my phone, but sometimes with my laptop. Much of "Narcos" is subtitled - something I'm not used to. While lost in an episode, I'd habitually and mindlessly grab my phone, start to surf while still listening to the TV, then look up at the TV and realize I'd missed a crapload of dialogue that I was supposed to read. I spent the first 2 or 3 episodes having to rewind to rewatch chunks of the show I'd missed because of this Pavlovian behavior before breaking the habit....

I really want to watch Narcos...I just can't do it after work because work drives me to drink and I can't pay attention to subtitles when I drink. :swampqueen:

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n296917 said:
Dang, is GMD sensitive. I enjoy tweaking him a bit because he melts down rather easily.

:sadnanner:

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n296942 said:
I just can't let this blatant lie slide. You said it IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SECOND DRIVE - right after we'd gone down the field brilliantly for a TD on the first drive. At the time you said it, it was silly. It would have made more sense if you'd said it in the second half.

Secondly, NO ONE called you an "idiot" at any time. There was some sarcasm there, but no name calling. You need thicker skin, old hoss.

the second drive sucked and playcalling went downhill from there... that was where I was coming from..

Jand3k

I Don't Re Member
Sep 12, 2014
GMDGATOR;n296901 said:
yeah, good thing you weren't on Saturday saying this... Ox and URG were calling us idiots for not liking the playcalling...

Look, I can't stand the chatterbox and so I stay away from it. So perhaps you should too.

Cause I've never seen such a soft gangster. Perhaps Compton is OK for you but maybe you should "Stray Out of Chatterbox". :dunno:

:chomp:

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Swamp Queen;n297147 said:
I really want to watch Narcos...I just can't do it after work because work drives me to drink and I can't pay attention to subtitles when I drink. :swampqueen:

Another good show on Netflix - one you don't have to read - is "The Fall" with Gillian Anderson. Absolutely fantastic. Get home from work, bring Sas his evening paper and slippers, pour him a drink, fix his dinner, then settle in with your own drink and watch it. :lol2:

By the way, it seems I have little use for Netflix movies. The TV shows, on the other hand can be excellent - especially the BBC stuff, and the Netflix original programming. Try "The Fall". You'll be hooked quickly - and it is not a huge commitment - very short seasons.

Jabberdave

Founding Member
Your mom is very pretty.
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
You mean Netflix original movies? Because some of the old and crappy movies on there are great. I've probably watched The Warriors 10 times since it was added.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Jabberdave;n297315 said:
You mean Netflix original movies? Because some of the old and crappy movies on there are great. I've probably watched The Warriors 10 times since it was added.

are you upset that Big Trouble in Little China was removed?

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Jabberdave;n297315 said:

I dunno. All I know is, when I settle in and start surfing titles on Netflix, the movies all seem to suck and I end up on a TV series. And when my girlfriend is over? Yikes. I end up caving on some chick flick she lands on and falling asleep during the opening credits.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Jabberdave;n297315 said:
Yeah but it always seems to end the same way.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
GMDGATOR;n296872 said:
Does it annoy anyone else on this board that during the games if we question ANY decisions being made during the games on the chatterbox, we are talked down to and scolded by the "moderators" like Ox and URGatorBait? What is the point of having it open if you are just going to come on and be condescending to your contributors? also, why post pages of chatter after games like you did earlier this year? Lastly, I don't get the people who post the same phrases over and over like "we suck" on it during games... It is legitimate to not like a series during a game or the way the plays are being developed without being called a doomsdayer who says that we suck or the coach should be fired... However, if we are ahead during a game and you question any calls, you get lambasted on the chatterbox... what is the point of having it open during the game? So we can all have a circle jerk?

1. I don't chatterbox much. Certainly during games, as my attention goes to the team rather than running commentary on the laptop. I can't comment on what's been said or how things are acted upon during the discussion. With that, I'd agree that the throw away commentary in a chat box should be loose enough to let people express displeasure on a given play or call, and general acceptance that people who contribute nothing beyond a singular repeated phrase are not really contributing. In fairness, such comments (bad call, or repeated 'we suck') ought to expect a response, sometimes not one that says 'damn right!'

2. I imagine posting the log provides two benefits. First would be that we can point and laugh at the waves of emotions as things go up and down throughout a game. It's a game, and throwaway commentary is just that - throwaway, not meant to be that important in life, or even in watching the game. Think of this as on par with those 'epic meltdowns' we laugh at on youtube, only live and relted to a team we're cheering for = a chance to laugh at ourselves without significant impact. The Second benefit is a history of who said what, since people seem to often want to know WHY when there are rules changes or bans for the site. This provides the evidence of what happened to warrant such action, proof the mods aren't acting personally, but on behalf of the site.

3. It is Ox's site. You feel you don't like how he runs it, you are more than welcome to find another one or start one you wish to run how YOU would want. However, if you choose to stay with HIS site, you abide by HIS rules.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Im partly to blame for hogtowns departure. The game was super boring, I had been drinking and was channeling my inner MattM by regularly typing sophomoric sexual puns. I noticed she made a comment about it a time or two to which at the time, I gave no f*cks. Sorry bout that. :embarrassed:

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Durty South Swamp;n298071 said:
Im partly to blame for hogtowns departure. The game was super boring, I had been drinking and was channeling my inner MattM by regularly typing sophomoric sexual puns. I noticed she made a comment about it a time or two to which at the time, I gave no f*cks. Sorry bout that. :embarrassed:

:shake:

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Durty South Swamp;n298079 said:
Honestly, like Ox said somewhere else, It would have been nice if she informed us of the issue she was having.
We all welcome PMs if there is truly an issue that needs to be dealt with.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
URGatorBait;n298090 said:
Honestly, like Ox said somewhere else, It would have been nice if she informed us of the issue she was having.
We all welcome PMs if there is truly an issue that needs to be dealt with.

Well I wasnt really trying to offend anyone and honestly I dont think I said anything horrific... just 9th grade d*ck and balls jokes. Comments like cronkrite has vaginitis and what not. It was a slow 2nd half :lol: Yall can go back and look at the log, if you feel I said anything over the top I'll be happy to pay my penince and take my medicine.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Durty South Swamp;n298092 said:
Well I wasnt really trying to offend anyone and honestly I dont think I said anything horrific... just 9th grade d*ck and balls jokes. Comments like cronkrite has vaginitis and what not. It was a slow 2nd half :lol: Yall can go back and look at the log, if you feel I said anything over the top I'll be happy to pay my penince and take my medicine.
For me, the chatterbox isn't to be taken seriously. During the week it's mostly just joking around in there, and that tends to carry over into games.

Games pick up because it's just easierthat constantlyhaving to refresh the page, so people gravitate towards the chatterbox.

That place is mostly meant for fun, so we tend not to be too critical in there, unless you're overly sensitive and think being told to go have a beer is clamping fown, am I right GMD ;)

That said, we can't deal with an issue if we don't know it exists. Only Ox can see the backlog of what went on in there. For the rest of the Mods, when it's off the screen, it's off the screen, if we miss it, it's gone for us.

So on the off chance that HogtownGator is reading this, please feel free to PM any of the mods or ox.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
If she realized we have many middle school boys posting in the shatbox she will either 1. Take it with a grain of salt and return 2. Or avoid it even more.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Gatorbreath;n297287 said:
Another good show on Netflix - one you don't have to read - is "The Fall" with Gillian Anderson. Absolutely fantastic. Get home from work, bring Sas his evening paper and slippers, pour him a drink, fix his dinner, then settle in with your own drink and watch it. :lol2:

By the way, it seems I have little use for Netflix movies. The TV shows, on the other hand can be excellent - especially the BBC stuff, and the Netflix original programming. Try "The Fall". You'll be hooked quickly - and it is not a huge commitment - very short seasons.

We started Rectify a couple of weeks ago. Great show so far! I'd highly recommend it if you haven't watched it.

Made it through season 1 in a few days, and thankfully, Fargo just started back up Monday night, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator