Chip Kelly fired....

Status
Not open for further replies.

bayou gator

Lord I was born a shamblin' man...
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
I'm stunned some of y'all don't think Chip Kelly wouldn't be successful here, and that others don't want him under any circumstances. Is he an A$$hole? Yes. But so was SOS and Creyer. But they were OUR a$$holes. They won, and were pretty damn smug about it while doing so. Did we mind? Nope. Why? With regards to Spurrier, it was because we felt like we had been unjustly targeted by the NCAA, while programs like Miami and Oklahoma raped and pillaged their way to titles. And it was FUN!!! With regards to Meyer, we felt like we were just one good coach away from greatness after having a buffoon like Zook in charge. And it was FUN AGAIN!!! I think that is where most of us are today. We are tired of watching this great program slog through the mud under hapless coaches like Muschump and Mac, all the while getting out-recruited and laughed at by schools such as the semenholes, the buttsniffers, and the trailerpark boys. I don't know what y'all are thinking, but watching us spin our wheels under the direction of Dumbazzio (while Creyer stood near the endzone, drooling on himself from the Thorazine for most of his last year), Muschump, and Butters HAS NOT BEEN FUN!!

Kelly is easily a better X's and O's coach than Mac. Is he perfect? No. Did he make mistakes? Yes. But, what did he do successfully? He took a state university and turned it into a national powerhouse immediately. He knows how to run a major program as a head coach. He also knows what a major program needs with regards to rebuilding facilities, as well. How do y'all think he convinced all those players from elsewhere to go play in Oregon? Nike turned their facilities into some of the best in the nation. And that mofo absolutely knows how to light up a scoreboard. I don't think another coach that is even "possibly" available can compare with what he can bring to the table. The guy would create an air of excitement and hope in this program that we haven't seen since 2009. Give him the athletes we have, and we are immediately much more competitive next year. Give him the athletes that he can recruit in this state year in and year out, and we could dominate.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Penn "STATE" is not a private school.(the "state" stands for "State University"). And you all of a sudden think we're getting into a bidding war w/ another bigtime P5 school?

If we land a P5 coach it's going to be from one of the lesser schools in a conference such as a Kentucky, Wake Forest, Washington State, Purdue, Indiana, Kansas, etc. We aren't grabbing a bigger coach. We tried that w/ Bob Stoops.

Like I said earlier, a coach like Jeff Brohm, Brian Harsin, or PJ Fleck fits the bill....but those guys may be out of reach in the next year or two. So, a similar type coach. I understand why Foley went after McElwain, but we tried the Saban experiment w/ Muschamp (hiring a former Saban guy) and it failed. Why try it again? Plus McElwain is well into his 50's. I would have preferred we went after one of those younger guys who had a more proven head coaching record than McElwain did (who had literally 1 good season).

My mistake I thought I'd heard it was a private school, but anyways Franklin would be worth a try, I don't know how we couldn't outbid penn state(if we open our checkbook )and Florida is absolutely a better job than penn st. He would have been at that job for like 4-5 years and may be open to coming if it's attractive enough situation. Then if he still turned us down then we could try a guy like your talking about if their still available.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
My mistake I thought I'd heard it was a private school, but anyways Franklin would be worth a try, I don't know how we couldn't outbid penn state(if we open our checkbook )and Florida is absolutely a better job than penn st. He would have been at that job for like 4-5 years and may be open to coming if it's attractive enough situation. Then if he still turned us down then we could try a guy like your talking about if their still available.

Hey, I'm not against offering a guy like him....but I just like to be realistic. There are many reasons a certain job is "better" for a particular person. To Urban Meyer, Ohio State was the pinnacle. Had Jim Tressel not gotten in trouble he'd still be there, he was a very good football coach and would probably have coached there another 10-15 years. For James Franklin, he's a Pennsylvania kid....so growing up he probably always dreamed of being a Nittany Lion and admired Joe Pa (like most kids from that state). So what's "better" for one person may not be "better" for another. Plus, like I said, the buyout's in these contracts nowadays is ridiculous. Sure we could afford it but at what expense? The new AD should put out feelers for these bigger names, but in reality we end up w/ someone from a smaller school that is very sought after (like Fleck, or Brohm, etc).

bayou gator

Lord I was born a shamblin' man...
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Most would like to have Kelly but most simply believe he will never come here. Im one of them.

I think he WOULD come here, if we were to actually try to hire him... but, unfortunately, I don't believe that we will even make the attempt. And that is a major problem. In business and athletics, you ALWAYS strive to improve your condition. This isn't a marriage.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
If we go after the slam dunk hire it will likely cost us around 5.5 to 7 million a year. Foley would have never done that and I wonder if the new guy will.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Hey, I'm not against offering a guy like him....but I just like to be realistic. There are many reasons a certain job is "better" for a particular person. To Urban Meyer, Ohio State was the pinnacle. Had Jim Tressel not gotten in trouble he'd still be there, he was a very good football coach and would probably have coached there another 10-15 years. For James Franklin, he's a Pennsylvania kid....so growing up he probably always dreamed of being a Nittany Lion and admired Joe Pa (like most kids from that state). So what's "better" for one person may not be "better" for another. Plus, like I said, the buyout's in these contracts nowadays is ridiculous. Sure we could afford it but at what expense? The new AD should put out feelers for these bigger names, but in reality we end up w/ someone from a smaller school that is very sought after (like Fleck, or Brohm, etc).
Kelly grew up in Gainesville and graduated from Buchholz in 1981. UF has been his dream job his entire life.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015

You have no idea of the money that Penn State has, they spent 500M on fighting lawsuits etc. We really can't outbid any large and successful school unless they don't want to keep their coach.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
If Kelly doesn't end up at Cal it means he doesn't want to coach college ball ever again.
Why, because Cal is such a great job? :crazy:

Chip waits a year (while getting paid by SF), he'll have his pick of a dozen jobs. He'd be an idiot to jump on the Cal job. Besides, if he doesn't want to coach college, then he's retired - his NFL career is over.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Why, because Cal is such a great job? :crazy:
You probably are too you to remember but Cal vs USCw used to be a HUGE game. Cal wasnt always a laughingstock. Its been a while, like since the 70s but they too had an AD who didnt want to get in an arms race w USCw and the other big boys and now they are an afterthought.

The possibility of our program mirroring there downfall longterm is my worst fear.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don't know. We didn't think Harbaugh or Saban were available when they were hired. A top AD finds out which of those guys are available and makes it happen. To act like we can't hire a P5 coach at all is silly.
Harbaugh had just been fired from the 49ers, so he was available

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
That sounds awesome, but wikipedia says he was born and raised in New Hampshire, graduated high school and college there.
[GIPHY="lies"]https://media3.giphy.com/media/l0HlOVddDAliCyf60/giphy.gif[/GIPHY]

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Its funny how all the pumpers turn into dumpers when a thread about any one other than butters is started. "All in on mac, but I'm pretty negative about a guy who puts up playstation scores every week"

And the "his offense is a proven failure" comment is arguably the most ridiculous comment Ive seen on this board. His offenses were top 5 or 10 in college football most every year. His offenses in philly were between 2 and 12... that's good some years and excellent others.

We get it, some of you are married to Mac, but that doesn't mean you have to bury your head in the sand and deny the facts in front of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator