Clemson is in shambles; fans want Dabo fired

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
DeAndre Hopkins is talking about statue of a former vice president of the United States associated with that campus who was a big time proponent of slavery. Not Dabo.

As for the football matters tshirt It looked tasteless out of context. But it was actually provided to him by the NFL. He was wearing it for a different reason. In reality it was the NFL that made a stupid decision with that shirt. I think it’s already blown over.

Reasonable take on the shirt. As for Hopkins, I can see both sides to a degree. I wasn't raised in traditional "southern" family, so I didn't see my grandfather, or great grandfather using certain words or espousing outdated views that are controversial. But I can say, if I had, I wouldn't want their legacy disparaged and name drug through the mud years later. Good people can have bad traits, especially based on environment. The other point is that it becomes a slippery slope. Where does it end? I like to think I know American history fairly well, but I had to look this Calhoun guy up to even see who he was. I'm sure Hopkins or someone else had to do the same. To me, that's looking for a reason to be upset. And we're not talking about whether a living person should be honored or given a position of power today. Nor is it some recent Klan/Supremacist involvement. We're talking about someone who's been dead for two centuries, and we're lambasting him for having views that were shared by virtually everyone on the planet at the time, including many fellow Africans. There are so many real things to be concerned with that I think this idea of a dead person's name appearing on a building being oppressive is fairly silly. If it were something recent, if we're talking about the words a current coach is using, that's an entirely different story.

But again, I can see it both ways, and if it's truly that big of a deal to some, then so be it and I'll respect that. That said, I can guarantee you somewhere along the way a kid growing up in east Tennessee during the 1950/60s probably thought or said something that was offensive(and that he likely regrets now). So how long until it's just Danny and Tim with statues outside of the Swamp? I think we all need to get slightly thicker skin, especially when it comes to sports.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
So how long until it's just Danny and Tim with statues outside of the Swamp? I think we all need to get slightly thicker skin, especially when it comes to sports.
Unless someone with enough power decides Christianity is controversial down the road. Many young folks espouse those views on campuses now. How long before we hear complaints that outwardly Christian people were memorialized on campus, which is state funded? Don't laugh now - the slippery slope you refer to knows no end. Erasing history based on the current sensibilities is a real problem and will never stop evolving.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Unless someone with enough power decides Christianity is controversial down the road. Many young folks espouse those views on campuses now. How long before we hear complaints that outwardly Christian people were memorialized on campus, which is state funded? Don't laugh now - the slippery slope you refer to knows no end. Erasing history based on the current sensibilities is a real problem and will never stop evolving.

I don't want this thread to get moved, as I want to see Clemson's shambling on the primary page. So I'm going to shift this back to the funneling money accusation, and the likelihood that something similar is happening in athens. Any talk of their slavery past, or tranny-QB current situation is just too toxic.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
I despise Clemtech as much as anyone, but neither Dabo or the TE coach called anyone a racial slur.

The TE coach told a player to quit calling another player a nigga. He was sick of hearing. The player he got onto got butthurt because a white coach said the word. I have done the same thing at a practice and the player reacted similarly.

Dabo told his players in the weight room that he was embarrassed to bring a prospective coach into the weight room because the music they were playing in there kept saying the word. Dabo didn't even say the word.

Hopkins is a weak minded simpleton. Instead of getting all butthurt about the name on a building that was named for someone pro slavery, he might be better suited to think "yeah, that was then, but I am a black man walking my ass thru the doors to this place and getting my education!!" Really can't think of a better way to stick it to the guy, if that is your thing, than to get an education in a building named after a man who was pro slavery.

Its all in how you choose to look at it.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
So now it’s time to fire Dabo? Send him our way! He already hates the Noles, he’s halfway there already.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Clemson is renting Dabo until Saban hangs it up. Now, if you want to see something really crazy, send Dabo packing and watch the Bama fans go nuts over the prospect of him not being available when Saban retires.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I don’t think Dabo wants any part of following Saban at Bama. I really don’t.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don’t think Dabo wants any part of following Saban at Bama. I really don’t.

He’s pressed about it all the time. He insists he has no intention of leaving Clemson, but we all know how it goes when elite openings start popping. Shyt happens. Bama is major shyt.

If Frost felt pressure headed into Lincoln, imagine the load on Dabo returning home after Saban. And yet I think he’s the one guy who could pull it off.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Clemson is renting Dabo until Saban hangs it up. Now, if you want to see something really crazy, send Dabo packing and watch the Bama fans go nuts over the prospect of him not being available when Saban retires.

Guy has made his own legacy, in a league that allows only one good team at a time and has already won two rings against Satan. He has been in the playoffs 6 times and the championship game 4 times. He will be playing for titles there until he retires. Is he annoying, yes, but arrogance is only bad when you get your a$$ kicked like the other night.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
He’s pressed about it all the time. He insists he has no intention of leaving Clemson, but we all know how it goes when elite openings start popping. Shyt happens.

If Frost felt pressure headed into Lincoln, imagine the load on Dabo returning home after Saban. And yet I think he’s the one guy who could pull it off.
What does bama have that he doesn't already have at Clemson? Why in the world would he pick up and start over ? He's already beating their ass. This is crazy talk ,78

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
What does bama have that he doesn't already have at Clemson? Why in the world would he pick up and start over ? He's already beating their ass. This is crazy talk ,78

:lol: You say that as if I just made it up. It’s only been speculated now for, what, the last how many years? And besides, he’s been at Clemson for over a decade. Remember what Spurrier said and did. You can only go so many years at one place before you’re ready for a new challenge.

I’m not promising it, but I think anyone would be as foolish to rule it out as you suggest I am to rule it in.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
:lol: You say that as if I just made it up. It’s only been speculated now for, what, the last how many years? And besides, he’s been at Clemson for over a decade. Remember what Spurrier said and did. You can only go so many years at one place before you’re ready for a new challenge.

I’m not promising it, but I think anyone would be as foolish to rule it out as you suggest I am to rule it in.

It was speculated early in Dabo's career. Now he'd have to be an idiot to take the job. There's no way in hell he or anyone else will be good enough for bama after Saban retires.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
It was speculated early in Dabo's career. Now he'd have to be an idiot to take the job. There's no way in hell he or anyone else will be good enough for bama after Saban retires.
Exactly. Only a lunatic is going to want that job. You'd be a dead man walking before you even coached your first game. It's a hideous, unwinnable situation, kind of like what Scott Frost walked into.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, just like coaching Nebraska. NOT. Look, somebody has to do it eventually. Dabo’s got crimson in his veins. Recruits will kill to come play for him. He’ll be even better at Bama than Clemson.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, just like coaching Nebraska. NOT. Look, somebody has to do it eventually. Dabo’s got crimson in his veins. Recruits will kill to come play for him. He’ll be even better at Bama than Clemson.
Won't happen. Ever. That's not opinion, that's a fact.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Clemson winning just two NC's in five years is unacceptable? What about the time from 1981 and 2016? How did that poor guy make it from point to point?

Also, Dabo was raised in Fort Payne, AL, about 45 miles from where I live. He played for Bama. He has long been a huge fan target to become the head coach at Bama. Some Bama fans still want him but from my experience, most do not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.